Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 1.6 16v x reg golf (petrol)

my car overheated a while ago and blew my head gasket due to a lack of coolant. I had a recon cylinder head and hg put on, and despite the garage's word that the cooling fan kicked in, it did not, overheating again. Now that the car was leaking coolant, i put radweld in. my hg blew again. (aparently because of the radweld clogging it up but i think it was the overheating.) Since the first hg change my temperature has always stayed cool when running but would heat up when idling.

Today i had a thermostat fitted and ascertiained that my cooling fan does cut in when needed. I found out that the previous garage who did my hg had taken out my thermostat. The garage informed me on replacing the thermostat that they let the car tick over for an hour and the fan cut in four times, preventing it from overheating. They also told me that they sat the revs on 1500, and my red oil light came on. They said it was intermittent and does so when around these revs. My car beeps and flashes a red warning light at me when i pull off (around 1-2000) and then turns off once i get going.

Why might the garage have taken out the thermostat?

What action do you think i should take?

Is the red oil light more serious than perhaps the garage made out despite it only being intermittent?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
First of all the garage have removed the thermosat to cover something up, i think you have had your pants down with them, hate to think what they charge you

i would say take it back but when i think about it, cut your losses and find a decent garage

oil light on is a serious issue and i would not start it up untill a COMPENET garage as investigated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts