Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the crack pipe, I noticed the edge has perished as shown by arrows. The rest of the housing feels very strong, not brittle like the water pipe was. Should I get a new housing? The gear box is currently out as I'm in process of replacing the clutch. My second question is whether I should install the new thermostat housing before reinstalling the gearbox or will reinstalling the housing be awkward? It's not my daily driver, so I'm OK to wait if it will make everything easier. I'll have a three week wait for postage.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If it were my car I'd put a new housing on. The rest of that plastic around the seal could crumble and enter your cooling system, or the seal may bend into the flow area of the coolant meaning it won't be sealing as it should.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that was my suspicion, thanks ttg4l. Should I install the new thermostat housing before reinstalling the gearbox or will reinstalling the housing be awkward once transmission is back in? I've already replaced the crack pipe, was super easy with lock carrier in service position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.