Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;

Firstly I have had authorisation from mods to put this up.

Background/Development:

Some of you may be aware of a topic that was running on the 'Power Gasket'.

Many people were disappointed with the results that the NewSouth performance gaskets were giving, and some even reported these gaskets failing, i.e. falling to bits. There was then some interest in the JBS setup which is a thicker gasket together with longer bolts, but there were some comments about the price. The price is good for what you get, but many are reluctant to spend so much on something which doesn't provide a massive amount back. Certainly a lower inlet temp will provide better results but you are talking a small amount - it has to be seen as an 'every little helps' mod. You aren't as such getting an increase in power as retaining the power you did have with a cold inlet if this makes sense.

So, after having made similar things in the past mainly for the frenchies (172/182/Trophy, Clio 16v/Williams, 106 Rallye) but also for the turbo nutters (Pulsar GTIR / Volvo T5, etc.) I decided to make some for the Mk4 Golfs. Owning a V6 myself we have plastic inlets so a thermal intake gasket isn't going to help much, but with the help of a couple of friendly forum members we have been able to trial and fit for the 1.8Ts and the Diesels - thanks to them for all their help and support (in particular blade4real2004, robvw, T_C). [clap]

We use a high quality PTFE material to make these. The material doesn't fall to bits or melt, etc and as long as it is installed correctly it won't deform. As a result it now only means inlet temps are lower but you are also using a more reliable and longlasting part which is also reuseable! Please don't confuse this with some of the ebay stuff you can get... there are various grades of PTFE available. The material also isn't affected by high vibrations or exposure to fluids like oil or fuel.

For the development we have purchased or otherwise got hold of the OEM gaskets and drawn them up in CAD to make an exact replica. Other members on the forum as mentioned above have then trial fitted various cardboard thicknesses to ascertain the max thickness we can use without having to change anything else - i.e. to make a quick and easy swap without the need for different bolts, etc. We have then supplied a finished gasket to fit to confirm suitability and so far so good! The gaskets are made from quality material and are cut on C02 lazer bed.

As a result....

Now Available:

In 3mm thickness (maximum bang for buck):

• Large Port 1.8T Gasket (AGU)
  • Diesel Gasket (i.e. to fit all Mk3/4 diesel and PD diesels - AGR, AHF, AJM, ARL, ASZ, etc)

Coming Soon:

The small port 1.8T gasket is currently under development and will be available soon though we anticipate the thickness outcome to mirror the above.

Price:

For groups of 3 or more I will ship for £26 including 1st class delivery. (I will ship for £25 for paypal personal).

If you can't wait, I can ship these straight away for a price of £30 including 1st class delivery. (I will ship for £28 for paypal personal)

So as per the norm please make a list or PM if you want one seperately.

NB: Group prices don't have to be matching gaskets.

If you have any questions or further requirements please PM me - I can cut from 0.5-6mm for bespoke requirements.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't have any before and after temps (I understand vagcom wont show this) because frankly the people who have kindly trialled this for us have been looking at fitment for me and probably dont have the equipment to test.

However I can confirm that a similar item I made for the Clio 172 owners (this was a 1.5mm manifold gasket and 1mm plenum gasket so overall less than 3mm) saw some significant decrease in temps - r-tuner software can show you the difference. The most significant drops obviously being at lower rmps. I believe the biggest decrease was around 15 degrees to the manifold. I wouldn't however expect to achieve a 10 or more horsepower increase as the NewSouth Performance gaskets suggest.

You can noticeably feel the difference in touching the manifold after driving - this was confirmed by one of our test pilots and by previous users of similar (but more expensive) products.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We don't have any before and after temps (I understand vagcom wont show this) because frankly the people who have kindly trialled this for us have been looking at fitment for me and probably dont have the equipment to test.

However I can confirm that a similar item I made for the Clio 172 owners (this was a 1.5mm manifold gasket and 1mm plenum gasket so overall less than 3mm) saw some significant decrease in temps - r-tuner software can show you the difference. The most significant drops obviously being at lower rmps. I believe the biggest decrease was around 15 degrees to the manifold. I wouldn't however expect to achieve a 10 or more horsepower increase as the NewSouth Performance gaskets suggest.

You can noticeably feel the difference in touching the manifold after driving - this was confirmed by one of our test pilots and by previous users of similar (but more expensive) products.
hay nismo

i can still do temp tests if you want them to put with the advertising of this product if you can send me a finished product i can give you accurate readings

all done on the same day so you will have a accurate results pep like to see results before purchases will prob help a lot with the sales on these

drop me a pm if you want me to do it for you mate

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'll have an AGU gasket please mate, ignore my PM lol

I've asked on another forum so will give it till the end of the week to see if anyone else is interested or if I need to get one on my own

1 - 20 of 93 Posts