Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its around 2001 (Y) onwards that they changed the seats....

IMO the seats in the earlier versions are much much better....are all
the later ones like that, or just some? The later version seats just
arnt as chunky and seem much less supportive/not as firm...and they
don't have 'Recaro' stitched into them!

I just found this out recently, it's a bit disappointing if its accross the board [:(]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think the later ones are Recaro just not branded as in the earlier ones?
The later ones are VW Sports seats and are not made by Recaro.
You're right though, the Recaro seats are much better and a lot more supportive which I why I changed my Sports leather for Recaro leather.

·
Registered
931 Posts
just back from castle combe! car was first registered in july 2001.

slightly off topic: garym, did you have a fitting guide or something for seats? my new ones should arrive this week. any pointers would be helpfull [:D]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Matt, just found this which I posted quite some time ago!!

1 - disconnect negative terminal from the battery

2 - there are two covers at each side of the seat. Pop out the screw covers then undo the torx screw. Lift the covers away.

3 - use a 13mm socket to undo the two nuts at the front and very bottom of the seat on the runner.

4 - push the seat towards the back of the car whilst freeing the
plastic catch which is in between the two nuts - you should see the
threads where you removed the bolts pop out of the holes.

5 - tilt the seat back a little to view the underside then
disconnect the plugs - Airbag and heating if you have it then push the
seat right back to wheel the rollers out of the channels.

6 - struggle to lift the seat out of the car - I found it best to wind the seat as far forward as possible.

Refit everything in reverse

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Matt, just found this which I posted quite some time ago!!

1 - disconnect negative terminal from the battery

2 - there are two covers at each side of the seat. Pop out the screw covers then undo the torx screw. Lift the covers away.

3 - use a 13mm socket to undo the two nuts at the front and very bottom of the seat on the runner.

4 - push the seat towards the back of the car whilst freeing the plastic catch which is in between the two nuts - you should see the threads where you removed the bolts pop out of the holes.

5 - tilt the seat back a little to view the underside then disconnect the plugs - Airbag and heating if you have it then push the seat right back to wheel the rollers out of the channels.

6 - struggle to lift the seat out of the car - I found it best to wind the seat as far forward as possible.

Refit everything in reverse

Hope it helps.
hmmm shouldnt that sort of information be sent via pm???! as most of us wanna keep the interiors of our cars out of scums hands. just a thought...after this is a public forum.

sonny.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The seat design was changed for cars built from 1st May 2001 onwards...hence a few Y reg cars have the later seat design.

1.8T

Cloth Recaros replaced with new design of VW sports seat

2.0 GTI/V5/V6 & GT TDI

Original design of cloth VW sports seats(less angular bolsters) replaced with new design as fitted to 1.8T.

I've been told that the Recaros were dropped as part of a cost saving exercise; price of 1.8T was reduced around this time as well.

For some odd reason, the 1.8T(& 150TDI when introduced) had front seat lumbar adjustment as standard whereas this was only an extra on all the other(above) models. Instead these models had a standard front armrest which was an extra on a 1.8T.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts