Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over a month ago I took my golf to my local VW bodyshop to have a new boot handle/surround fitted under warranty. Unfortunately they painted the new one reflex instead of satin silver, we laughed about it, I used to work with the warranty guy and my bloke works for the group involved, so it was fairly casual and I didn't really mind.

Ben, my bloke, arranges to take the golf over again the weekend after. This time they fit the boot handle and scratch the insid eof my boot lid, and the trim, taking the trim off! Ben is not happy and arranges for a respray and new trim. My car made it's third visit to the bodyshop this weekend and had the boot resprayed and low and behold they've scratched it again fitting the new trim!

Ben is absolutely livid, he has spoken to the bodyshop manager who basically made out they were doing us a favour in the first place, when Ben pointed out it was my car and not his, the manager offered a touch up if we take the car in again. However, Ben thinks I should write to someone higher up in the company and make a complaint about the obvious lack of care by the bodyshop staff. I'm not so sure, it is a little bit difficult as he has to deal with these people everyday albeit over the phone.

What a pain in the bottom! However, from the outside the boot looks mint!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Its one of these situations that because you know them, it makes it more difficult to complain - especially as you have to continue to work with them.

Its probably one of those scratches that no one else will ever notice but will always annoy you though!

I wonder if they are trying to refit the trim before the paint has hardened properly - it just pushes on though, not sure how the can scratch the paint.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hmmm, welll Spirit in Banbury have my replacement handle painted ready for fitting...They took the paint code from my boot so fingers crossed and that they can fit it without damage

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its one of these situations that because you know them, it makes it more difficult to complain - especially as you have to continue to work with them.

Its probably one of those scratches that no one else will ever notice but will always annoy you though!

I wonder if they are trying to refit the trim before the paint has hardened properly - it just pushes on though, not sure how the can scratch the paint.
Yeah, it is a tough one.

They hadn't filed the rough edges off the trim before fitting, and that's what's caused the lastest scratch. Laziness if you ask me.

I think what is annoying more is that it wasn't damaged at all before and now it is. Perhaps it is a small price to pay for a new boot handle?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Do whatever you have to and make them sort it out, it might not be very noticable but YOU know its there, i know it would annoy me anyway[:mad:]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rather not say publically, being somewhat professionally involved. Feel free to PM me though. [:)]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just out of interest, my boot handle has bubbles and flakes too, I have a 99 1.8t, under what warranty are you able to get this work done?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Had mine done on mechanical warranty....since VW apparently tell the dealers to simply respray the existing handle! but otherwise the anti corrosion warranty

As it happens when they replaced it at the weekend the corrosion had spread to the boot, so they are putting in a report to respray the whole boot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of interest, my boot handle has bubbles and flakes too, I have a 99 1.8t, under what warranty are you able to get this work done?
Mine was done under the new 10 year corrosion warranty.

i was gonno do my own how hard can it be ???
Apparently it's quite difficult to get it right.[:O]

·
Registered
301 Posts
k so how do i try for warranty mine is a 01 with 60k fsh until now i am about to get a mate to service for me .

stuarty

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k so how do i try for warranty mine is a 01 with 60k fsh until now i am about to get a mate to service for me .

stuarty
I'd just give your local dealer a call and see what they say. Ask to speak to the warranty clerk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts