Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me in short why on some mk4 GTis, the letter i is in red and others it is in the same silver as the G and the T?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help!

I guess this measn I have an early 1.8T,

anyone know what difference that makes?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The all silver GTI badge is normally a 2.0 or early 1.8T. The GTI with the red I is a later Turbo.

HTH

Mart
Not always, as I said it is random by the dealers. The badge on the back does not confirm anything.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The all silver GTI badge is normally a 2.0 or early 1.8T. The GTI with the red I is a later Turbo.

HTH

Mart
I don't understand. How come my TDi 150 has a silver GTI badge on the back and a red TDI badge on the engine cover, is it a TDI or a GTI? Its not even a petrol!![;)]

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't understand. How come my TDi 150 has a silver GTI badge on the back and a red TDI bedge on the engine cover, is it a TDI or a GTI? [;)]
Both.[;)] - if you accept that GTi = 150 bhp petrol / derv .
But with a torque and economy advantage to compensate for the different engine note.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was informed by my stealer when I bought my '01 2.0 GTi (Red i) that the colour of the badge lettering was, as rightly mentioned, nothing to do with the engine, but a lot of dealers used it to identify levels of trim and upgraded alloys etc on later models.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I don't understand. How come my TDi 150 has a silver GTI badge on the back and a red TDI bedge on the engine cover, is it a TDI or a GTI? [;)]
But with a torque and economy advantage to compensate for the different engine note.
I couldnt have put it better myself, bravo old boy [Y]

Grand Touring Injection, is what it stands for, for which I belive the TDI is the better of the two available options, due to its easy cruising on the m'way, mountains of torque & amazing mpg.

Imagine going Grand touring in a 1.8T, you'd be filling up every 300miles [:$]

·
Registered
406 Posts
as far as I know, the GTI (all silver ) = 150bhp and 5 forward gears and the GT "red i " = 180bhp and 6 forward gears.... but it's only a badge and is easy to remove and replace, so i wouldn't trust just the badge

Cheers

·
Registered
5,827 Posts

HTH

Mart
Nope. I have an S reg 1.8T and mine has a red I badge. The badges really are randomly put on by the dealer. In later years, the all silver badge did tend to be a n/a 1.8 or the 2.0, but it's not always the case.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The boot badge as a guide, is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!

use the engine code(handbook & boot) to confirm what variant of golf you have!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
But with a torque and economy advantage to compensate for your mates thinking your driving a tractor..
[;)]

·
Registered
566 Posts
This badging thing is a lark! I pay no attention to what colour the badging is because they are completely random as was said earlier. What I do look for are other tell-tale signs:

• Rear vented discs on the GTI means its the 180bhp petrol model (they were also standard on all Annis too). The others have solid discs.
  • A third headrest in the middle of the rear seat means its the 150bhp GTI petrol or 150bhp TDI model (though some buyers did specify these as options). Strangely, these were not included on the 180bhp model.
  • The 150BHP models all came with 16" alloys (Montreals I or II) as standard.
  • I've also been informed that the lower front lip spoiler in the 150TDI models have 3 vents in them as opposed to only 1 vent.

Apart from the above (and ignoring badging) is anyone else able to tell differences from the outside?

~ Maxie

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
This badging thing is a lark! I pay no attention to what colour the badging is because they are completely random as was said earlier. What I do look for are other tell-tale signs:

• Rear vented discs on the GTI means its the 180bhp petrol model (they were also standard on all Annis too). The others have solid discs.
  • A third headrest in the middle of the rear seat means its the 150bhp GTI petrol or 150bhp TDI model (though some buyers did specify these as options). Strangely, these were not included on the 180bhp model.
  • The 150BHP models all came with 16" alloys (Montreals I or II) as standard.
  • I've also been informed that the lower front lip spoiler in the 150TDI models have 3 vents in them as opposed to only 1 vent.

Apart from the above (and ignoring badging) is anyone else able to tell differences from the outside?

~ Maxie
Yeah mostly you can narrow it down a bit by the outward appearance.

That 'TDI lip spoiler' is a V6 front valance, so it could also be a V6 too.. it's not as cut and dried as that.

·
Registered
829 Posts
But with a torque and economy advantage to compensate for your mates thinking your driving a tractor..
[;)]
Hey, there's always one.....

Each to their own I say, but objective testing of both 150 bhp cars as standard saw the petrol version eating dirty soot...[:O]

·
Registered
518 Posts
[;)]
Hey, there's always one.....

Each to their own I say, but objective testing of both 150 bhp cars as standard saw the petrol version eating dirty soot...[:O]
Oh no, lets not start this again......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts