Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 52 Golf and a Gamma head unit, either that or the speakers are shockingly lacking in bass and I want some recommendations to sort this out.

I don't want no high powered ICE, just a simple swap in the original locations for whatever it is that is the root of the problem. If it's the speakers, is there a decent swap I can do? If it's the head unit, I've considered an upgrade to an MFD version G are these any better? - otherwise I quite like the look of the Becker Mexico for that OEM look (anyone know if ipods can be hooked up to these?)

I don't want to spend loads, but I do want to be able to listen to music without it sounding like someone kicking a coke can around a lock up.

Cheers,

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
You can fit 8in speakers in the front doors using Autoleads part number SAK-3104,this'll give you a decent bit of bass up front,and maybe even consider amping them up with a small two channel amp,say about 2 X 50 watts.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Change the H/U as it makes a massive difference as the standard golf mids are pretty good considering bass but the treble id upgrade the tweeters as the standard tweeters are not realy up to the job imo.

Sat

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool,

I've just taken the plunge and ordered myself a Becker Mexico Pro (blue and red to match the interior display) and their ipod link that allows you to control its music functions from the head unit. From a bit of research it seems everything I need and I like the simplicity of it.

Now all I need are some decent speakers to replace the factory fits - I know nothing about ICE, but it HAS to all be hidden away. My old A3 had a nice hidden BOSE sub in the first aid cubby hole of the boot, anyone know if these can be fitted into a Golf? What speakers are going to be best to be fitted in the original locations.. can I achieve a decent level of sound from componants alone, or is a sub best?

Sorry if this has all been covered before, but I've had a look around and can't see much that's pertinent to my questions.

Mike.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
if you want pure SQ id say amp your original mids and get that set up
so very little bass is actually going through them and have a sub set
up aswell which will handle your extra bass needs so you have clear
sound and no distortion at high volumes.

Sat

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, now you see the thing is I don't really listen to it loud - I just like a good crisp sound, can I achieve this with speakers alone?.. pulling out all the trim to wire in a sub isn't filling me with enthusiasm!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Fitting a subwoofer is a small job imo especially in a mk4 as the
strips just clip off and theres a hole just behind the front glove box
so really all in all it takes about 30-40 mins to install a subwoofer
and amp and all the wires if you know what your doing, The hardest
install me and sonny have even done was in my dads 7 series as we just
didnt know where to start, heres some pics to make you go [:O]

Posted Image

That was a handfull of the wiring, but that car did have three amps in it and a seperate battery and a few power caps lol.

Sat

p.s if you need any help give us a shout.

heres another pic of the final install

Posted Image

all the amps were hidden [;)] also.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[:O] looks like a head scratcher to say the least..

I may well look into something sub-wise in the boot then, it'd be ideal if the A3 one will fit, I'll have a measure up of my mate's this weekend and see how it weighs up?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I know if you go to bass junkies you can get a flush enclosure one
which goes on the passenger side where the cd changer is, but if your
changing the H/U it wouldn't matter about the cd changer would it? also
iirc the enclosure isn't cheap either ?150 iirc

Sat

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No - the 6-disc in the dash is geting canned in favour of ipod, going to run the cable up into the armrest.. so there'll be plenty of room in the space in the boot. Will check their site.

What's iirc? [:$]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
iirc = if i remember correctly

I cant seem to find the place which does the custom enclosure give me a few mins and il have it found lol.

Sat

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy Moly! Don't know if I'll be wanting anything that big - I've enough dash rattles as it is!!

Concept is ideal though, all nicely tucked away and not messing with the load through space. Cheers lads.

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
Ahh, now you see the thing is I don't really listen to it loud - I just like a good crisp sound, can I achieve this with speakers alone?.. pulling out all the trim to wire in a sub isn't filling me with enthusiasm!
Although the speakers are the weakest link in the chain,changing them on a stock head unit will make very little,if no difference.Amping up aftermarket speakers won't make them a lot louder than running them from a decent head unit,but it will make them sound a lot "crisper",you'll get better dynamics from an external amp with a proper power supply than you will from any "high power" head unit.

If you still don't have enough bass,how some freeair subs mounted in a nice solid stealth shelf,with almost no intrusion into your boot space.This type of bass is a lot more natural than box type of bass,as it doesn't roll off at the bottom end as sharpley.
Something like this is pretty good,and not too expensive:-

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle_cluster?q=kenwood+6+x+9+subs&pid=4878303977419746950&oid=15471733145137170945&btnG=Search+Froogle&oi=froogler&scoring=mrd&hl=en

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Kenwood 6x9 active speakers are rubbish, A total waste of time. If you want more bass there is only 1 option and that has to be a subwoofer, You cannot expect a pair of 17cm/6x9 speakers to reproduce anything resembling bass, they are just not designed to respond to that type of frequency. A small 10'' sub with a good amp is all you'll ever need and it will take up minimal space in the boot, I'm not talking window shaking bass but a nice crisp note to compliment your tunes.

Thats just my 2p's worth

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
The Kenwood 6 x 9s are purpose designed subwoofers,they are just a cheap and easy to install answer to some extra bass THAT TAKES UP VERY LITTLE SPACE.These particular speakers are designed to be mounted in a baffle board and not in a box,hence they are made to handle an appropriate amount of bass when used like this.It is true that freeair subwoofers will never have the ultimate power handling of a sealed box type of subwoofer,but as already stated freeair speakers roll off the bottom end a lot more gradually than any boxed one will do,and at least to my ears they do sound a lot more musical.

You can't just say that 17cm or 6 X 9 speakers can't make decent bass,if you get the chance listen to JBLs Control1 system,it's got four 4in subs in it,although in this case it is the enclosure that is doing most of the work,it still sounds amazing for what's in it.Having said all that,I'd still go for a small sealed box with a good 10in sub in it.

(Apoligies to the originator of this thread for a slight hijack)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
When I upgraded to an MFD sat nav I noticed a big improvement in sound quality.

I also have an amp installed but it's totally stealthed behind the rear quarter panel trim, I did a full write up of it a while ago.

I would love one of those cubby hole subwoofers (pictured earlier in this thread) but I would need to find somewhere else to mount the Phatnoise. For now i've just got a 10" Pioneer sub in a standard carpeted sub box in the boot and I have to say the setup sounds fantastic.

As Satnam suggested, I have set the bass on my MFD to around a quarter, I can turn the MFD volume up to the max without any distortion whatsoever.

The amp gain is set to give a nice bit of punch, nothing too heavy though as i'm not a fan of booming bass [:D]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts