Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, people not having to much luck with the passat this year. spent a fortune on it and it doesn't seem to run like as it was before. it's like problem after problem and now am running out of idea what might be wrong.

Right i'll cut the story a bit.

3months ago my coolant bottle was p*shing out with coolant as i drove for about 10mins and the oil light for some strange reason will beep and show on the dash. so took it down to my machanic he changed the temp sensor and the coolant bottle and cap, and still no joy when i left his garage that day. so gave him the car back again and he fitted a new water pump and guess what? it did the same thing as soon as i drove for about 10mins. so back again. i told him to check the thermostat cause that was the last thing i fitted 2days ago before all this happend. So 3days later i manage to get a call from him and he told me the thermostat wasn't put in right.

so after getting the car back it drove fine after a week later.

till i couldn't get the car to drive atall. had to call the AA and tow it back to the garage. turns out the wishbone needed replaced and something else that caused the drive shaft to pop out the gearbox costing a total 260quid to repair.

after 4days later guess what else packed in? flywheel and clutch so had to leave the car off road till last week till i got paid, cheapest was £570 suplied and fitted. so got that done and was happy to be back on the road again.

Then... Christmas day driving back home for work i stopped to put fuel in, then made my way home. but 10miles later i notice my temp gauage was shooting up to almost 130dgrs then coolant light beeped and showed up :evil: so quicky pulled over and open the bonnet. and steam came out everywhere and notice the coolant bottle was over heating and small amount of coolant was spraying out. so waited for a couple of mins then slowly opened the the coolant cap then all the coolant came out of nowhere, and the coolant bottle was full!? so i ended up squeezing the pipe attach to the radiator and the coolant when back down. so i topped it up with water and manage to get the car safe back home. also forgot to mention the radiator pipe was cold when i touched it is that normal?

anyone shed some light what might be the cause if this.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
For it to over heat its likely to be the thermostat but with the list you have done unlikely, did you have anti freeze in it as the radiator or pipes couldbe fozen not allowing the car to cool the water

craig

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks craig. thermostat was just fitted 3months and only covered about 600miles ? do you think it's broke again?

yeh am sure the garage poured some anti freeze in it. and i was driving the car for a good 20miles and it seemed ok till i stopped and then done another 10miles then broke down

·
Registered
292 Posts
Could be blocked somewhere.
Do you get a good flow of water back to the coolant reservoir when you rev it?
Worst case senario which happened to my brothers car was the block was cracked between the water jacket and a cylinder. Would be fine below 3krpm but above 3krpm it would overpressurise the coolant system and you could see small bubbles returning to the reservoir

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right got my car back, ,my machanic said the car seems to be running fine... ?

but yesterday done 7miles trip and temp gauge was showing bang on 90dgrs. then as i pulled out in a roundabout wee bit quick my temp gauge dropped down to 80dgrs then slowly reached up to back up 90 what might be the cause of this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts