Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,<o:p></o:p>

Welcome to the Official uk-mkivs.net Nurburgring Trip 2007.<o:p></o:p>

Doubtless you have all heard about the Nurburgring, the one time Formula 1 track where Nicki Lauder crashed and burned in 1976. Jacky Stewart called the Nordschleife (as the old circuit is called) ?the greatest and most challenging circuit in the world?.
It is an amazing place, the atmosphere is simply electric and I guarantee it will be the greatest legal buzz of your life bar none. I think even bungy jumping or jumping out of an aero plane evens comes a close second.<o:p></o:p>

Even if you go just the once, the experience, pictures, memorabilia and memories will be something to treasure for the rest of your life, something to enthrall your kids/grandkids with and great for impressing your mates with.<o:p></o:p>

How often in this life do you get to take part in motorsport history?<o:p></o:p>

The dates are finalized (see itinery below) so all that is required is for you to show your commitment and sign up.<o:p></o:p>

Please only sign up if you actually want to go and not just thinking about it as there is a lot of organization to be put in. <o:p></o:p>

You don?t pay me or anyone else any money unless you are doing the Spa track day which is organized by MLR and they need the money up front (discounted rate) in order to secure the track.<o:p></o:p>

We will provide you with links to book the ferry online, pre-book accommodation and attempt to book restaurants in advance also. We will try and answer any questions you might have and our aim is to ensure any first timers to continental driving and ?The Ring? feel safe and confident. There is nothing worse than getting lost on the continent and not being able to ask for directions in the local lingo.
As much as possible we will keep the group together and have frequent planned stops in order for stragglers to catch up.<o:p></o:p>

We will provide traditional map directions and Tom Tom way points.<o:p></o:p>

We will basically cover every base to ensure the trip goes off as smoothly as possible and extracts the maximum enjoyment from this amazing experience as possible.<o:p></o:p>

We will be linking up with the MLR and SIDC guys whilst at the Ring so there will be loads of like minded British petrol heads to chew the fat with and get drunk with J<o:p></o:p>

Itinery<o:p></o:p>

Remember its bank holiday weekend so most peeps will have the Monday off.<o:p></o:p>

PLEASE NOTE and I must stress this, you DONT have to follow the full itinery, you can leave whenever you want as it will be you that books your ferry dates online. On previous trips we have traveled back on the Tuesday which worked out just right. <o:p></o:p>

If you don?t have any leave left or don?t want to take any annual leave then why not travel back on Monday night? You will still have had at least a full day at the Ring.<o:p></o:p>

There WILL be peeps that will want to leave on Tuesday to arrive home tuesday night so there will be mini convoys back to the ferry ports.<o:p></o:p>

It's entirely up to you how many days off you take but in the past I've usually just taken the Tuesday off as annual leave... (but we didn't do Spa track days on the previous trips.)<o:p></o:p>

Sat 26th May - Ferry out and get sat evening session at the Ring at tea time (track open from 5.15pm to 7.30pm I believe). Our usual route takes us past Spa if you were wondering how to get there.<o:p></o:p>

Sun 27th May - All day at the ring<o:p></o:p>

Mon 28th May - All day at the ring or possibly driving the German WRC stages - debate as to whether to drive to Spa on monday tea time or stop over and drive there on Tues morning, probably the latter.<o:p></o:p>

Tues 29th May - Tue 29th Spa join the MLR organised event, which is an excellent event cost for non members is ?179 however reckon we could sweet talk member rates ?159 especially as Stormy organises stuff for MLR. (as mentioned, our usual route to the Ring takes us past Spa so its on the way back anyway).<o:p></o:p>

Weds 30th - Travel home<o:p></o:p>

Approximate Costs<o:p></o:p>

1. Petrol to <st1:City w:st="on">Dover</st1:City> (for me, just under a tank of fuel from <st1:place w:st="on">Blackpool</st1:place>) <o:p></o:p>

2. Ferry costs ( circa ?50 return with Norfolk line from Dover to Dunkerque (Dunkirk) ? N.B The Norfolk Line Ferry for the trip is currently showing as ?43 return with offer code EB07. There is also a fuel surcharge of ?5 per person. This offer is open till 31st Jan only.

3. Just over a tank of fuel from Dunkerque to Nurburg (approx 300 miles) <o:p></o:p>

4. At the Nurburgring ? Obviously depends on your car but expect a Turbo petrol to use a full tank over about 15 laps.<o:p></o:p>

5. Remember to double outward journey fuel costs for return journey.<o:p></o:p>

6. Octane booster? Certainly helped in hot weather - approx ?5 per bottle per tank full <o:p></o:p>

7. Accommodation - 30 Euros per night per person, bed and breakfast - Excellent accomodation, you will not be disappointed.

8. Food - Evening meals with drinks usually worked out approx 17-20 euros each (Using Sabine's Dad's restaurant as an example) <o:p></o:p>

9. Weekend European breakdown cover with RAC - ?36 <o:p></o:p>

10. Track Day Insurance Cover? - Up to the individual and prices vary a lot. Please note that most insurers now explicitly exclude the 'Nordschleife' even though it is a public toll road. So check the details of your policy carefully<o:p></o:p>

11. Lap fees 2007
25-lap ticket car / motorcycle 345.00 ?
15-lap ticket car / motorcycle 220.00 ?
8-lap ticket car / motorcycle 124.00 ?
4-lap ticket car / motorcycle 64.00 ?<o:p></o:p>

12. Spa Franchorchamps Track Day organised by MLR, Trackmasters and in association with SIDC (pronounced Sidique) - ?179 in advance. LIMITED SPACES ? sign up quick.<o:p></o:p>

13. Accommodation in Spa ? Not sure, this MAY be included in the track day price but will confirm.

<o:p></o:p>

Miscellaneous

1. Ensure your car is in good condition especially tyres, brakes (fresh fluid and pads).<o:p></o:p>

2. Basic spares, screen wipes, new wiper blades would be good.<o:p></o:p>

3. PMR?s ? Personal 2 way radios are excellent for car to car communications ? can be had from Argos for as little as ?20 (approx)<o:p></o:p>

4. Headlights set to LHD or stick on beam thingies (forget what they are called lol), spare set of bulbs and warning triangle are legal requirements.<o:p></o:p>

5. Make sure you have your passport, Insurance green card and European breakdown recovery<o:p></o:p>

6. Helmets are not required for the Ring but ARE required for Spa.<o:p></o:p>

7. Good resource site here :- http://nurburgring.org.uk/<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I think I?ve covered everything but if you have any questions, please don?t hesitate to ask!<o:p></o:p>

Now, get your names down!<o:p></o:p>

Current Confirmed Attendees

1. Stewart + Mark (Tabs) ? Audi S3<o:p></o:p>
  2. Dave + 1 ? Mitsubishi Evo 6<o:p></o:p>
  3. Rich (Blue V5) + 1 ? VW Bora V5
  4. Alex (Sparrow) + 0 ? Top Secret Track Machine
  5. aky +1 (TBC) - Audi S3
  6. Daz (aky's mate) + 1 - Celica GT4
  7. Martin (martin318is) + 1.5 - Audi A4 Avant
  8. Mike (Mikedav) + 1/2 - BMW E46 M3 <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>

Unconfirmed Attendees (Want to go but need to confirm funds and/or available leave)

Thanks for your time in reading this thread!<o:p></o:p>

Stewart<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
571 Posts
Put me down as confirmed, but no +1.

4. At the Nurburgring ? Obviously depends on your car but expect a Turbo petrol to use a full tank over about 15 laps.
You're driving too slowly if you can get that many laps out of a tank! [|-)] I get about 5 if I'm lucky.[:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Might be up for this... but will have to check with my mate as we were going to do a Jolly out there with his saab and the R

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Will there be the Ring taxi's available at the same time.I saw these on top gear where a good driver takes you round.

It would be intresting to be showen a few tricks of the track.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might be up for this... but will have to check with my mate as we were going to do a Jolly out there with his saab and the R
That would be fantastic if you could come Andy, it'll be a scream!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will there be the Ring taxi's available at the same time.I saw these on top gear where a good driver takes you round.

It would be intresting to be showen a few tricks of the track.
The Ring Taxi is simply awesome, another thing that you will never forget.

You can book the Ring Taxi in advance, sometimes it can be booked up months in advance for busy weekends!

Are you going to be travelling with us in convoy or making your own way there?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
That would be fantastic if you could come Andy, it'll be a scream!

Saab is super silly 300bhp from the dealership[:S] with 17 in rims[:-*] feels like the dash will land on your lap.... reckon the R would muller it round the ring though[:$]

Heres some of my Neigbours videos of the Ring .. he has a season ticket and has done a sub 8 minute on his R1 and the merceds hire car he abuses is hilarious

And this is him and his wife[:#] racing a 911

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent, list of attendees updated.

6 cars already, nice one [:D]

Come on Andy, commit commit commit commit commit commit !! [:)]

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andy, that boy can ride!  Excellent vids, would love to see the originals without music and better quality...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Movement! [:D]

Ok, we have some rooms at the Hotel Sonneck available but as before there will be some sharing needed:

As it stands there are: 12 double rooms and 2 single rooms available from Friday night through till Tuesday night/Wed morning.

Price is 60 euros for a double inc breakfast and 34 euros for a single including breakfast (per person prices). In other words, cheap as chips! The breakfasts are fantastic and the rooms are easily 4 star accomodation.

The sooner I can get numbers of people going the sooner I can reserve the rooms. Stew, can we have a closing date for entries and have a 'reserve list' for anyone who puts their name(s) down after?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Alex and Stewart, the rooms are yours - so single rooms are taken boys and girls.

Hurry up and get your names down to fill the other rooms!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks, Rich. I'll chase up Jon and see if he's interested. I know he was mentioning April time, but not sure what other plans he has.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Coming out of nowhere I know, but I would love to come along if poss. Got sent to this thread by guys at Audisport.net.

New to the UK from Australia. Desperate to hit the Ring. (in my tired A4 for the first trip I guess but hey what can you do)

Will either be me solo or me + one and a half. (Doesnt matter either way I guess since the single rooms are gone.)

cheers,
Martin

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're more than welcome Martin!

Give me some more details of your car and passenger and I'll add you to the list :)

Stewart

1 - 20 of 171 Posts