Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I suppose it was only a matter of time, according to the latest edition of AutoCar

237bhp Vauxhall Astra VXR blows its GTi rivals into the weeds

I haven't seen the magazine in detail yet but you can see the front cover HERE

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mate,think most people would still have the GTI over anything else around its the original hot hatch,the name says it all VW GTI CLASS MATE-wish i had one..

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The next Focus ST looks like a stormer too. It has a 2.5 5 Cylinder Turbo engine probably the sourced from the T5 Volvo range. Estimated power on par with the Ashtray.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yup, I have to say I reckon that focus will be a right tool! looks a bit weird but it will kick butt performance wise I am sure. 

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Astra? Who the hell is gonna buy that? people say it looks good but i
think it just looks tacky, the golf has class and is a million times
more desirable.

Nuff said

·
Registered
479 Posts
Vauxhall is way out of its league here. No one in their right mind would spend nineteen thousand of their hard earned pounds on something that will be worth precisely sweet fa twelve months down the line.

Fast in a vulgar sort of way it may be. Class and a cult following are two things it can never hope to achieve.

How many twenty year old Astras do people look at and think - ooh, i'd like one of those as a project or as a toy??

'nuff said really.

·
Registered
479 Posts

How many twenty year old Astras do people look at and think - ooh, i'd like one of those as a project or as a toy??

'nuff said really.
Actually, how many twenty year old astras still exist... let alone the GTE?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I predict Clarkson will say something along the lines of 'no matter how good it is, it's still a Vauxhall and it's still called an Astra'.

I don't get on with the look of it at all...

[Child mode on]Definitely going to be looking into tuning for mine though, just in case one of these trys it on![off]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well I like it [:D]

Whether I would spend my own money is another matter - cant see it matching the Golf's residuals

But the looks and the rumoured handling and performance all look 10/10 to me

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The GTI has gone down in history, and providing they stay up with the game and produce a car that sits at the top of the hothatches with the competition, the GTI will always have a place in peoples hearts, and it will always be seen to be the best choice!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Rivage, if you don't mind me saying thats quite an eliteist attitude mate!

Vauxhall is way out of its league here. No one
in their right mind would spend nineteen thousand of their hard earned
pounds on something that will be worth precisely sweet fa twelve months
down the line.
Some would. Not everyone 'buys' a car though, - contract lease, PCP, company cars, etc. Also, some people may not care
about depreciation; if they did, we would all drive new Minis, which
have to be the lowest depreciators Ive ever seen! According to this
logic, there is no market for French cars?

Fast in a vulgar sort of way it may be. Class and a cult
following are two things it can never hope to achieve.How many
twenty year old Astras do people look at and think - ooh, i'd like one of those as a project or as a toy?? 'nuff said really.
Remember its a Golf, not an Aston...Ford XR and RS cars, Peugeot
GTIs, Alfas, Triumphs, even MG Metros have cult followings and
enthusiast owners - Im not sure all these people sit at home wishing
they could buy a Golf. Clearly the Golf GTI has a huge followinng, but it is still one of several options.

The new GTI is a fantastic car - I saw one today and thought it looked
fab, and I've driven one and really enjoyed it - but its really not the be all
and end all. The new Astra VXR is certainly a looker and more
interesting than past hot Vauxhalls - wouldn't want one myself but I
can see why someone might.

[;)]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I dont think there is a market for 19 grand french cars either!!

Look at the big Peugeots, coupe's and all?

Rarer than a "Bush/Cheney" T shirt seller in Baghdad!

I really like the look of the VXR, but am afraid I would only buy one if they were a lot lot cheaper than the compettition, sort of ?15k worth. You can get a CTR for not much more than 15?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Read the review on the times online and the only plus point was the power another ?800 will see the astra put back in its's place (My Mirrors).

Still we will find out how good soon enough the chap next door's is due for del mid september and i will still be laughing when i hand his arse to him on a plate.

From the review i read the TC is the only thing keeping it on the road my golf now how has in the region of a further 35-40 bhp over the astra and a good couple of spade full of torque and is very competent at putting the power down.

Still nice how all journos fell the need to compare it to the Gti, one word Residual !

·
Registered
366 Posts
I saw the VXR on 19's at the Canary Wharf Motor Expo and IMO it is the best looking Hot Hatch around, far more purposeful looking than anything else and will have road presence. I guess the styling won't be for everyone as it is a bit in your face unlike the Gti which is very subtle like say comparing a TVR with a 911. I thought that the interior was actually better than the golf as it just looked more substantial but without being out on the road and seeing if there are any rattles it is hard to tell if it is as well put together. I think that Vauxhall have a winner with this one as it offers a lot for a little money.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
All this talk, GTI's this, VXR's that, ST's blah blah...

And still after what seems like a small lifetime, the Civic Type-R is
the best hot hatch out there.... the best engine, the best gearbox and
clutch, fantastic (if a little feedback-less) handling and great seats.
Plus it remains considerably cheaper than all its rivals, has a great
dealer network, plus they hold their money incredibly well.

?16k couldn't be much better spent if you ask me..... it's a pocket-rocket out of the box. [:D]

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rivage, if you don't mind me saying thats quite an eliteist attitude mate!

Vauxhall is way out of its league here. No one in their right mind would spend nineteen thousand of their hard earned pounds on something that will be worth precisely sweet fa twelve months down the line.
Some would. Not everyone 'buys' a car though, - contract lease, PCP, company cars, etc. Also, some people may not care about depreciation; if they did, we would all drive new Minis, which have to be the lowest depreciators Ive ever seen! According to this logic, there is no market for French cars?

Fast in a vulgar sort of way it may be. Class and a cult following are two things it can never hope to achieve.How many twenty year old Astras do people look at and think - ooh, i'd like one of those as a project or as a toy?? 'nuff said really.
Remember its a Golf, not an Aston...Ford XR and RS cars, Peugeot GTIs, Alfas, Triumphs, even MG Metros have cult followings and enthusiast owners - Im not sure all these people sit at home wishing they could buy a Golf. Clearly the Golf GTI has a huge followinng, but it is still one of several options.

The new GTI is a fantastic car - I saw one today and thought it looked fab, and I've driven one and really enjoyed it - but its really not the be all and end all. The new Astra VXR is certainly a looker and more interesting than past hot Vauxhalls - wouldn't want one myself but I can see why someone might.

[;)]
You say away old man, everyone has their outlook on things.

I confess I've stuck my neck out a little here. Headlines like the title of this thread are designed to provoke a reaction! I reacted. I don't disagree with my earlier comments. I had a good sniff around the Astra VXR and SRi at Goodwood Festival of Speed and TBH, I sat there comparing them to my 6 year old Golf thinking ' I'm not keen on this!'

I'd like to see the Autocar justification behind their headline! After all, they have a car for a relatively short period of time, the punter (no matter how he buys) has to live with the vehicle on a day to day basis for an extended period of time.

NB - I havn't driven the VXR so can't comment on its dynamics, merely everything else!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Now don't get me wrong, the Astra VXR looks awesome, but in my mind it's more of an R32 / Cosworth type car than a GTI. Haven't Vauxhall sold themselves short here? The VXR is their top brand. The only way they can better the car now is to keep the name, up the spec and annoy the previous buyers - killing residuals. With the GTI and also the Focus ST, they are VW's and Ford's hot-hatch brands, NOT their top of the line, all-out, bonkers cars - that's reserved for the R-branding and Cosworth. This VXR should have been an SRI or GTE leaving room for something more extreme.

From what I've read (not that Autocar rubbish) the VXR has fabulous handling but as a result it's compromised on the road. The GTI was always supposed to be a good family hatchback AND a great car to blat around some B-roads. The VXR seems to be a bit more extreme than this.

That's said, how good is the hot-hatch market now? All the cars look great, handle well and a fairly reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts