Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, some of you may know me..... some of you may not (where have you been?)

Basically ive just got a new job [:D][:D][:D] woot woot! But it is in cambridge and im afraid my beasty of a golf GTI raging fuel guzzler has to go [:(] The GTI has been breathed on slightly by JBS and it is an AWESOME car with amazing power (hoorah for 3rd gear [:p]) but im afriad it just drinks way too much and for the mileage im going to be doing ( around 120miles a day) I would have to buy an optimax lorry to follow me around all day.

So im afraid I have to pass golfy on to its next owner and go for something of the diesel variety (what have I become? [:p]). Have been looking at a number of different options including:-

-Keep golf, buy optimax lorry!

-Golf - PD150

-Polo - GT? PD130? (seem overpriced for what they are, smallish engine)

-Octavia (possibly too big/thirsty/underpowered in 130 form)

-Fabia VRS

-BMW 320d (no sports pack that i can find/high mileage)

-BMW 330d (my budget would mean high mileage and they guzzle with 3.0 litres)

-BWM 520-530 (same as above really)

Im open to suggestions, however I stumbled upon the Seat Ibiza PD160 and was really impressed by its engine, size (small but not tiny), spec (e.g alloys,17" wouldnt need to buy others) and so on. I read they return 50 mpg easily and will not go under 40.... even if your booting it (my golf does 25 MAX if you drive miss daisy, hence change).

Really like the look of this car and the prices I have seen are very fair (around 11k for low mileage one).

What does everyone think of this little car?

And also... im tempted to re-map, full exhaust & some kind of induction...... will this screw up the MPG and put me near enough at sqaure one again?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your reply's.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Erm wouldnt really want a compact.... its like half a BMW i think... if that makes sense.

Fabia would be nice too see.

May try an go down to the local Seat dealers on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I would look at Fabia vRS's and Ibiza TDI Sports.

I had a vRS with REVO and with 180bhp it was a very very fast car, and refused to go below 43mpg. 0-60 in under 7 secs as well. God I miss mine [:(]

You would get either of those cars with low miles and mint condition for under ?11k

Some of the others you listed would be higher miles and older cars.

When I had my Fabia, I also had a 330ci and 90% of the time the Fabia would p!ss all over the 330 - it was only when you thrashed the 330 that it would creep past the Fabia [:D]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That little Seat is very tempting, but its a shame the mileage is so high, the spec on it alone is awesome. Im gonna pop over to a few dealers today and see what they have too offer.

MOB the pic isnt working for me bud.... would like to see it [:D]

EJO (buddy [;)]) im gonna keep an open mind all round.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I reckon you should have a look at the bmw 320d and have a look at
remapping it as im sure you can see 190bhp from these, but in that case
why not a pd150 golf and remap to the same horses and probably better
fuel consumption??

Sat

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recieved!!! Cheers buddy! Looks like a nice little motor!

Went to the local Seat dealer today, and the guy there was extremely helpful! They dont have the Cupra diesel version but he offered to take me out in the 130 bhp FR and the petrol 180 cupra (it should be in the middle somewhere of these two).

Still considering other alternatives though, my dad told me to check out the merc coupe and bmw compact.... there both nice and near enough the same price as the seat [:S]

Think im even more confused now lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think your on the right track with either the Ibiza or Fabia Yogi

But BMW compact says I can't afford a real 3 series and Merc Coupe "must be driving his mums car!" as people go past...

Have you thought about an diesel MKIV Anni???

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I have done bud, I wouldnt rule them out however im just thinking that its obvioulsy near enough the same car I have now and would the MPG suffer with a remap? The smaller ones are obviously gonna be abit more nippy and should still retain over 40 mpg.

What are the anni's like after a remap?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why not buy yourself a dirt cheap, but well looked after, shed and keep the Golf for fun or the odd day to work? You could get yourself an old diesel of some sort with a full MOT for less than 1K, get third-party insurance on it and fix the breakages yourself?

That way you get to keep the Golf, ok so driving to your new job in your banger wont make you look the greatest, but who cares and you could drive the Golf in to begin with if it made you feel better?

If the shed didn't make it through the next MOT, you could buy another one - over the course of a year you'd probably lose more than 1K in depreciation on whatever you bought as a replacement (although you would have to also factor into that your Golf depreciating as well).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yogi, funnily enough i owned a TDI Anni with a Revo upgrdade.

All I can say is that I bought an R32 after the Anni, and was slightly dissapointed that it didn't feel much quicker! MPG wise, the Anni never dropped below 42mpg even when having a blast. Also with the revo sps you can set back to standard for optimum fuel economy :)

In fact I know the guy that bought it and it's for sale again, he's not a member on here though!

Here is a pic of the car when I had her... Link

1 - 20 of 28 Posts