Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we've been on the moon we've done almost everything so it was time for the electric supercharger..hey you with the 1.8T you better hide! my 1.6 supercharged is coming! hahahha

Clicky

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
they work in theory.

ive wired one up to a 12v battery before and they do make a lot of wind, more than i expected. never fitted it to a car though...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Has anybody ever had one of these on the rollers, a before and after graph?

If its going to give me an extra 15+bhp i will deffo by one, i might be able to hit that very shy 300bhp lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
I doubt it will help and will probbaly hinder power. not workiede out the flow rate, but I bet the engine sucks air faster than that thing, If its not raising boost with the engine off noticable, it wont when the engine is sucking!

Plug VAG com in with the motor off and see if the pressure sensor even sees it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I don't think the developers of these realise the amount of airflow a real turbo makes on idle, that little thing might produce alot of air for what it is but put it through a 2" pipe and see if you can still feel it after 2 meters of piping. I've blown off a boost hose a couple of times on my 1.8t and having felt the amount of air that circulates from the turbo through the pipework on idle it really puts things into perspective. In all honesty a 1.4 engine at high revs will naturally suck more air in and faster too than that fan can flow.

If anybody is in doubt next time get a mate to rev their car to 6000rpm and feel the flow from the exhaust - will give a rough idea how much air is being used.

As above while it works in theory, so does communism in theory [lol-lol]

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
If you though they were that good.... did you not wonder why all car manufacturers dont fit them with the £4 they cost to make??

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all they are going to do is to light up the check engine light the air will probably only reach the MAF but thats all! you'll maybe get the air sucked a bit more freely but what are the gains? 1-2hp? doesnt worth the efford

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I can just imagine some buying these and standing there by their cars bonnet open telling their mates how fast their car is !!

Idiots are good for business !

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
It'd be worth it on a small engine at lower revs. Maybe plumb it in so that it adds airflow to the induction side, rather than having the induction flowing through it? Might be cheap fun.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
If anything I would say it wouldn't provide any increase in air flow for the engine because it flows less than the engine naturally breathes at higher end for sure whether it flows less than the engine breathes throughout the rev range is to be seen but I would say it's more likely to pose as a restriction if anything and could make it more difficult for the engine to breathe at higher revs potentially costing you performance.

It might be a sort of leaning effect from the air being brought in as a vortex/turbulence. Unlike a turbo or supercharger the airflow isn't uniform because the compressor on the turbo spins the air unidirectionally not twisting it, can only see this causing problems with cars with MAF sensors.

So in short, no I doubt you will see any gains let alone 1-2 bhp and 1-10 bhp gain would be considered negligible anyway - when a turbocharged or supercharged car can vary that much if not more from just a change in ambient temperature, dyno error, heatsoaking etc. Naturally aspirated engines are also affected by one or more of these factors too.

Just save the money

1 - 17 of 17 Posts