Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the local dealers last weekend to see if the had a R32 demonstrator. They did (5 door in dark blue), but it was not there so I arranged a test drive for this morning at 9:30. At the time the saleman warned there was a six month waiting list on the car.

Turned up for the test drive (the first of 6 people coming in today), just for a look really as I've not been too keen on the pics I'd seen on the net. But the car does look a whole heap better in the flesh. The front end even if a bit understated isn't too bad, and the back is actually cool...with perhaps the exception of those reflectors! It drove really well and the engine note is superb! I even managed to get the trip computer to flash up "Speed Warning" as I hit 80mph!!!

On the test drive the saleman tells me that they've just got in an extra car that was not expected, which has been alocated by VW and arrived yesterday. And it's a three door! So I said I'll have a look when I get back to the showroom. Still keeping an open mind.

Upon walking into the showroom I'm greeted by a Steel Grey R32, with leather, sat nav, 6 disc autochanger and winter pack. The only thing it doesn't have is the full on sports seats. The car looks ace. The front end satin/chrome works really well with the paintwork, the back end looks good too. Damn, I'm sold!!

Sits down to work out the numbers, they are taking my 1.8T as px at a responable price and even said they want the standard wheels back on (so can make a bit of cash selling my 18s). So I don't have the hassle of shifting the Mk4. So to cut a long story short, knowing that if I don't buy it there and then someone else will, I signed on the dotted line. I get it next Saturday, pics will be up as soon as its home!!! What a piece of impulse buying!!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nice one, there's a blue 3door in my local dealers the only option I think its got is the leather, and yes they do look sooooo much better in the flesh

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good work !

My MkIV R32 was an impulse purchase. Late one Sunday afternoon I popped out to test drive a Honda S2000. The dealership was too busy to see me (v poor) so I decided to pop up the road to VW. R32 was parked outside. Test drive was offered, decided I wanted it and bought it first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Good work!!

I heard of a GTI I wanted, 7 days later it was on my drive. Nothing like impulse car buying!!
Ditto - well actually I went in for a test drive and then for another one a few days later (just to be sure [;)]) and mine waso n the drive a week later.

It's a dangerous game this GTI/R32 game eh? [:D]

C

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice one!

are you putting everything back on the golf eg the brakes ect?
The standard Monty II alloys are going back on but the brakes and suspension are staying (assuming the standard wheels fit over the brakes). I wouldn't mind but I spent ages painting the brakes properly and they've only done about 1500 miles!

Other than that I'll swap back to the standard GTI tail lights and put the original rear wiper and ariel on. So as well as the 18s I'll have a few bits any bobs to shift including some bits I've never got as far as fitting. Watch the classifieds!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was up there tonight, just being nosey....got a call from a salesman to ask if I wanted to have a look at their new 5 door GTI

Saw your R32 in the customer bay in the showroom...looking good :[:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Nice job Dan, I'm sure you'll love the new car, sounds nice!  Stick some pics up once you get it, Grey is my fav colour for the new R so far!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Top Man! Got a long wait for mine, but I wanted relex silver and wanted recaros + sat nav... and no one had one for me to buy.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I'd been spec'ing the car myself I'd probably have chosen the leather recaros (pricey at ?2400 mind) and sunroof over the sat nav!! But it does have full leather which is softening the blow! Plus it's in the colour I'd have chosen, which is what closed the deal. If it'd been a colour I don't like I would have walked away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I'd been spec'ing the car myself I'd probably have chosen the leather recaros (pricey at ?2400 mind) and sunroof over the sat nav!! But it does have full leather which is softening the blow! Plus it's in the colour I'd have chosen, which is what closed the deal. If it'd been a colour I don't like I would have walked away.
I see no point having a sunroof and aint a big fan of leather - but Sat Nav I definately needed, given my job and the driving all over the place I do. Two grand for leather just took the piss I thought.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts