Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after joining the forums, working out which golf is theoretically gunna be suitable for me i finally organised a test drive in a 4mo from a local dealership.

a 5 door in a navy colour with cloth trim i have to say i wasnt exactly itching to get into it, especially as i had driven there in an A3 sportback 2ltT with all the toys.

that said the dealer got his fuel voucher, i jumped in the passenger seat and we headed out off the forecourt towards the petrol station, cruising through the town up the hill through speed limited areas. we got the car fueled then he drove me out to some quieter roads as i had told him i wanted to test the car at speed not in tourist clogged roads.

the initial accelleration was nothing to scream about but impressive none the less, i think the dealer was doing his best bless him. anyway, peeled off a nice long straight and headed out towards the rear of an airbase where he really showed me what the car can do when pushed....hitting a hairpin at too fast a speed...gripping like mad we went round it with all sorts of squeeling from the tyres, alarm noises from the dashboard and noises of satisfaction from me that we hadnt just rolled! [:D] god knows how it didnt, credit to the dealer for holding onto it through the bend! on exiting the bend we hammered round a few more subtler curves at the top of the rev range until he eventually came to a stop along a quiet stretch of road where i swapped seats and took on the role of pilot.

i could tell straight away that the dealer didnt want me to drive it like he had as he nervously told me how busy the roads were and how iffy some of the corners could get....cha....right.....after demoing the car like he just had like i was gunna cruise it home? no way

i drive sensibly usually, but someone elses 4mo and a quiet stretch of road with good visabilty?

u huh

cue screaming tyres [:D]

putting my test drive hat on i would say that the accelleration could have been harder, the steering was very heavy and the handling needs sorting but other than that it just felt like an average car that could rev high, dissappointed to be honest, still i was in control so that aside i wanted to see what it could do, so i did, to the red line on every change with the dealers left hand holding onto the coat handle thing and his right hand gripping the seat in a 'white knuckled i may die' kinda way, overtook a few tractors and a truck all in a line, hit a few corners hard etc

then....as i was powering uphill the alternator maintainace light came on, mentioned this to the dealer who said not to worry he has his phone with him so if i kill it we can get recovery so not to worry.

hmmmmm...not convincing me on the quality of their cars here, this car should have been able to cope. reached the brow of the hill where i got caught behind slow moving traffic for a while, so i changed upa gear and cruised for a bit which put out the warning light on the dash.

then came the clear bit in the road, dumped down through the gears and shot off again much to the delight of the dealer....er...haha not, flew to the end of the road and joined another road which lead down to the dealership.

there are two roundabnouts before i hit the showroom, the first one i went round like a banshee on a mission causing 3 lights and various beeping noises to scream out from the dash, then they started flashing

as we approached the second roundabout...it dies

nothing, nadda, nip

no dash lights, no power no nothing and i casually roll to a halt in the middle of the busy roundabout.

nothing short of praying was going to get it started again, but as luck would have it we were about 300 yards uphill of the dealership. so after hastilly deciding on a plan of action before we caused gridlock i jumped out and pushed the car off the roundabout whilst the dealer steered (no way i was rolling into the showroom in a busted golf [;)]) he got halfway down the hill and he got the engine fired again, to which he said jump in but as i could see the dealership i said i would just walk the last bit.

cue him then trying to find a gear and get power down, was never gunna happen, so noisily and slowly it rolled the remainder of the way.

when i got back to the garage and walked into the showroom there was already 2 mechanics and a receptionist waiting to meet the "chap who killed a 4mo" and no sign of the dealer lol

after a few minutes of explaining my actions ...."fast? no just cruised really...honest....no idea why it happened...no really"... the dealer reappeared and sheepishly (aware that his boss was looking at him from his balcony) led me back to the desk where he quietly confirmed with me that we HAD been driving slowly and carefully hadnt we.

a quick hunt on the system for a black 5 door with leather and sunroof fruited nothing so i bid my fairwell and made a sharp exit

so.....one of the best test drives ever for me [:D]

however, if your planning on buying a navy blue 5 door 4mo with cloth from a certain cornish garage then i would erm...well...maybe make sure you go over it very carefully before parting with your cash [:D]

i dont think my driving helped, but surely the golf should have coped? has anyone else managed to kill their car in the same way? i want to call the garage to see if they have fixed it and find out what went wrong but i kinda think i should leave it for a few days.

as much fun as i had i was hoping the drive wuold scream at me to buy one, but getting back into the audi its hard to fall in love with it. i would have to change its looks, handling etc to enjoy it to be honest, i was hoping for a good alrounder.

maybe it was just a bad one...well....it was when i left it ;)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The V6 is a cruiser. Why not try a 180bhp 1.8T, you will need an 03 plate at least. This time however, try not to kill the thing!

With the 180 GTI, you will have a hairdryer of an engine, nothing like the noise of the V6 but you will have 180bhp as standard with endless tuning possibilities which you don't get on the V6. So, you will be able to take it past the V6's bhp very easily. Only problem is you will only have FWD, so will be harder to use the power properly.

Would reccomend you don't go to that dealers again though! I think you are every salesman's worst nightmare!

For more info on the 1.8T, GaryM is a good place to start. MRKIV also has a 1.8T tuned to oblivion, think he's over 300bhp, someone will confirm this for me. There are problems associated with tuning to these kinds of bhp, bent rods etc, not nice!

Ever thought of a scooby or mitsi evo?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what i understood performance mk4's came on four flavours of power, ranging from the turbo, the 2lt, the 4mo then the r32. the r32 is out of range budget wise as i have around the 11k mark to play with so i just assumed the 4mo would be the weapon of choice?

the turbo would be cheaper giving me more room to mod it for sure but i suppose i just fear the thought of not having a quick enough golf just an adequate one....

and lets face it, even if the dealership had a gti for me to try they probably already have my number listed for their caller ID so they can 'be out' when i call [:D] there is one more dealership within reach but they tend to look down on me in a very patronising way......ie...heres a brochure, go stick the pretty pictures on your bedroom wall sonny jim. when i went there to enquire about the 4mo it was like blood from a stone, and even then they said they didnt have anything, until i pointed out the silver 4mo that was parked against the showrooms big glass windows. reluctantly they got the keys and opened it then walked off! very disappointed with the 'we dont think you'd buy one' attitude.

it was the same day that we walked accross the carpark and bought a brand new A3 as mentioned above, cash, valued 3 times higher than what we were originally looking at...damn those audi salesmen [;)] very happy with it though, but its the mrs's car so i need something equivalent or faster.

i think all cars have limits to there power when your modding however it would be nice to buy a vw thats nippy out the box rather than building something thats gunna be a mission to resell in the future.

i have thought scooby but i dont know if i want to be tarnished with the chav brush, was hoping to stay within the vw family to be honest, but with the budget i have, although not small, doesnt appear to be enough to get a 'good hot hatch'

originally bred on 1.9 205 gti's, 306 xsi and s16's i was expecting more or at least a comparison. i know i have only taken 1 golf out, but the chance of taking more out is going to be pretty limited now i think although they know they can make a sale if they find me the right car.

anyone want to let me test drive their turbo? [;)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I think you will be more impressed with the 180GTI to be honest mate. The 2.0 isnt even worth thinking about for what you want!

The 4motion may look on paper, faster etc, but when you compare it to a 180 turbo GTI there isnt much in it at all. You will have a lighter car with the turbo which already has the sportier suspension. It also has a 6 speed box. The 150 Turbo's like mine have 5 speed boxes, so thats one instant way top tell if its a 150 or a 180.

So, say you get a 180 T GTI for 9 grand, which is do-able. You'll then have 2k to spend, should you wish, changing it. Couple of anti roll bars will stiffen it up, remap will see around 220bhp if I'm not mistaken and a bigger turbo will see....well, a lot! You might need to think about changing the clutch and upgrading the brakes too, but 2k should cover all that.

Really need GaryM to read this!!

As for test drives, get yourself to a car supermarket type of place. Don't mean you will have to buy one from there, though they are always good places to look. Specifically go for a 180GTI and see what you think. From what I have read you are looking for, you will be more impressed with the 180 than the 4moo. You will easily be able to take a 180 to R32 performance and past it.

You'd be welcome to try my 150 out, which is completely standard engine wise, but, alas, I don't want it broken!! [:D]

Also, another car to think about would be the Audi S3 or the Audi S4. The audi s3 is a little dated now, but what a car!! Interior is to die for! You'll also get 210 or 225bhp as standard!! Its the same engine as the 1.8T's in the golf range, just tuned better. A remap on an S3 will see about 265bhp. With an S3, you also get 4WD, same as the 4moo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd be welcome to try my 150 out, which is completely standard engine wise, but, alas, I don't want it broken!! [:D]
careful what you wish for [;)] (kidding)

i see what your saying and to be honest it was kind of the answer i was hoping for, there has to be a golf thats gunna make me happy and if gti turbo is the way forward then i will look into it for sure. this garyM sounds like a good person to chat to although your doing a pretty good job so far!

got to be honest the more i think about it the less the 4mo pulls me towards buying it, i think it would be an ownership of spending money trying to find what i was looking for in the first place if i had one although i dont mind spending a little on the right car, its just establishing the right car really from the outset.

car supermarkets just dont exist where i live here in the sticks, the closest is in exeter which is through devon at the top of the county...a long way to go just to try a car and 2-3 hours in a car to test drive for a few miles just isnt appealing. so i think getting into a dealership is going to have to be the way forward for the moment. this thread has inspired me to call the 2 cornish dealerships in a minute and 1, see what damage i did at the first one and 2, by voice alone organise something at the second garage.

my problem although i am 31, i am the peter pan of cornwall and suffer with a babyface of a 16 year old, some say its a good thing but i dont, had enough of getting asked for ID wherever i go, pubs, clubs....tescos! least of my worries really but makes buying a car a difficult process to be taken seriously. even turning up at a showroom in a nice car wont help because it looks like my dads car!

so most conversations have to start with what i own, how much i have to spend etc before they even ask me to take a seat!

so a gti turbo with some fettleing could well be the golf for me then, this is where i need to go to the pub with owners of each model and let them all state their case but knowing thats not going to happen these forums are pretty much invaluable

as for the audi's, with what the mrs owns i think the styling of the older models would get to me what with her owning such a new shape, looks are as important as power for me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why swap a 2.0T Audi A3 for a Golf???
the audi belongs to the mrs, i own a V8 range rover sport, which incidentally i have now decided to keep because as much as i try i just cant seem to fall in love with a mk4 golf [:(]

plan now is to hang onto my rr until the mk5 r-whatever gets released then look at getting one of those fresh outta the box [:D]

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Thought that too!!

Maybe needs some cash back!

If you want a performance v6 golf, really the R32 is the only way to go, sorry 4 mo guys, but they are not a perfromance car as such, (many would argue the R32 isn't either!).

Or a 18T and throw a few penies at it. Can be made to go as fast as an R32 for relatively little cash, K03 sport and remap will pretty much do it.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
The car supermarket your talking about in Exeter is where I bought mine from!! So kinda know where your on about!! I also have a great relationship with one of the salesman there...test drive anything I want if he can get away with it!!

Don't spose there are any further down. The cars there wouldnt be what your looking for, but at least you could get a drive without many questions.

Shame you have decided to wait! We couldnt convince you! [:(]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couple of threads from the mk5 board to check out:

Clicky #1 - when the r32 was announced

Clicky #2 - discussion off the german website where the konfigurator is available.

Sure? [:)]
[:|] ........oh.......sweet.....lord........

what the hell is that???

wrong on soooo many levels.

u think at some point the vw designers got round the table and decided that verycherry might like this so lets add as much plastic rubbish to the front of it so he wont?

oh dear.....now what? am i destined never to have a golf? lol

i am going to need to see the mk5 gti in the flesh, a far better looking beast......

although a test drive might be unavailable for me [;)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I had a feeling your thoughts would be, er, a little less than positive!!! [;)]

Go try the GTI, they're great fun and a COMPLETELY different ride from the mk4s [:)]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the audi belongs to the mrs, i own a V8 range rover sport,
Sorry this is completely missing the point of the thread, but did i read that correct, you've got a range rover sport??? [:O]

A new one?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just to throw another spanner in the works how about a Seat Leon Cupra R, 225 out of the box and they look pretty good from the outside (haven't been in one) Brembo brakes etc.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I don't agree with whats been said as
I have always found the 1.8T dull? I loved my V6 and 'just' 204BHP. Only
time it felt slow was when trying to catch Gary M in his 240BHP
1.8T! But personally I wouldn't swap as the 1.8T just wasn't me. One quesion: they have the
same suspension, are only 100KG ish apart in weight and the V6 is 1000c
larger and 4WD - how can the 1.8T be 'more of a perfomance car' than the V6?

If its a performance car you want no MKIV is going to set the world
alight - R32 is the only real contender.

The car supermarket your talking about in Exeter is where I bought mine from!!
I used to live in Exeter and the car supermarket is hilarious.
Overpriced medium sized independent more like. They barely have 100
cars. If you want to see a REAL car supermarket, try Car Shop in
Northampton. Bought my BMW from there and I was very impressed with
their set up; over 1000 cars and three showrooms, landscaped grounds, a
preperation centre....the way main
dealers should be IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
V6 4motion is perfect platform to mod. add a supercharger kit
from VF and you will in EVO/WRX territory. Add a turbo and you
will be killing porsches.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol oh dear, i hope i'm not waking any hornets nest here [:D]

i have actaully been to the car place in northampton if its the one near billing, very nice place and loads of cars and a creche for the kids which i thought was a stunning idea as it gave me a chance to sit and talk as well as look around and drive

didnt buy tho, ended up buying a discovery from down the road. apparently (i was looking for a polo for the mrs at the time) they dont (or at least didnt when i looked bout 5 years ago) sell very many vw's because they cost too much to maintain for any fleet to buy them in and not cost effective, hence not finding the polo there - got that from the dealership

as for performance with the 4moo and the 1.8t i havet been in the 1.8t so cant comment, loved the 4moo but i broke it so didnt inspire me that much and to be honest i was looking for more by the way of pin-in-your-seat driving. horses for courses and all that.

still going to have a look at the 1.8t as it would be ignorant not to, however after reading up a bit more on the mk5 i think i should look that way too. the 5 door is not an option, need it to be, but theres something not right about the side view that i cant put my finger on, and the 3 door just seems a tad beefier somehow.

will still have to wait as its not within budget reach....for now...

oh, and my range rover is not the new sport...i wish! [:D] i thing of beauty nyom nyom nyom. i adore that car, been in that one...staggering for something the size of a small mongolian village [:D], but completely out of budget as i would have one already 100%

this is my one

Posted Image

got the sport box, hence sport.....goes like stink but handles like poo...and a sloppy one at that [:D]

improved by the rims, gives a better footprint and grip...add to the fact the air suspension is permanently set a lowlevel motorway mode

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I test drove a V64M before buying my old Golf 150 1.8T. I have to agree with what others have said in that it was a very dull car to drive and didn't 'feel' quick (I had a CTR at the time), the 1.8T felt much better even though it was standard, it was just much more fun to drive than the V6. As others have said I personally look on the V64M as a cruiser rather than a hot hatch.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I don't agree with whats been said as
I have always found the 1.8T dull? I loved my V6 and 'just' 204BHP. Only
time it felt slow was when trying to catch Gary M in his 240BHP
1.8T! But personally I wouldn't swap as the 1.8T just wasn't me.
LOL, we did have a good couple of drives didn't we? [:)]

You will never get a 1.8T to sound anywhere near as good as a V6 - PERIOD!!

But.....a good exhaust can at least make it sound better which I have certainly found with my 1.8T.

I added a Milltek Anniversary style exhaust coupled with a large intake pipe and it sounds so much better.

Verycherry (nice name [;)], I think you really do need to 'try' a 1.8T
for your own curiosity though a stock model probably won't do it for
you.

Ideally you need to hook up with a local forum member who would be kind enough to take you for a drive in a remapped version.

They are just so much better, in fact it really makes the car feel like
a GTI, add suspension and ARB mods and its quite a capable car.
Go even further with a ATB diff and you will be amazed at what it can
do!!

Saying all that though, the MkV GTI looks like a good performer 'out of
the box' though I do need to come across one on the road to upset his
day [:D]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
LOL, we did have a good couple of drives didn't we? [:)]
Hell yeah. That trip down the A50 with Tabs in his R was the best one
- you two doing your best to destroy each other through
roundabouts and me in my Bora permanently 4 car lengths behind at all times,
despite caining the balls of it! Couldn't shake me, but I definetly
couldn't catch you. And remember a certain Volvo C70 drag race? Bloody
brilliant

[:)]

Agree with Gary, the 1.8T may be the one for you but most likely in modded form - completely different (and proven) animal...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts