Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the one, it has to be THE most awkward nut I have had the pleasure of removing.

Anyway, lets just say if I managed to drop the said nut would it be possible to recover?

What about if part of my socket set was still attached to it? [:$]

What would need removing? Rear arch liner?

Surely somebody else has managed to drop one, did you just leave it and use another nut in place of it?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Oh dear!!!

Now that's a shocker, I think that if you remove your rear bumper then you may be able to gain access to it through the air vent that is inside the bumper and the inner arch wing?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ooops. What about a one of those fexiiii shafts with a magnet on the end.
Pretty sure sockets are not magnetic and they're also heavy.

Maybe one of those 3 jawed grabs, like the fairground jobbies, might do it. Not sure where you'd get one though - professional tool shop probably. (If that reads a bit rude, it wasn't intended!)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, rear bumper off means removing the blighters again - not a chance!!

I think it going to be a case of if it rattles then I'll have to remove it, if not then conveniently forget about it!!

There's no way of locating the nut and socket extension bar from the top, why did VW design it this way - arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks Simon, the new clusters look superb.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Don't bother trying, snap it OFF !!!

Re-fit without.

When I first removed mine, I did the drivers side first and had no idea there was a 3rd fixing towards the front. Undid the two easy ones, went to pull light out, pulled a little harder and 'crack'. Then realised I'd snapped off the fixing. Been on over a year now and I don't get any leaks, rattles etc.

I know it's not big or clever and that it's simply not right but who cares, I can get my lights off very easily now. The guilt from this car abuse is slowly fading and will soon be a distant memory.

Snap it, snap it NOW !!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snap the lug off?

Both lugs are intact on my brand new clusters (and RCCR's) so im not snapping them off!!

Just been for a ride and didnt notice an extra rattle so I guess its found a new home.

I replaced the fixing with a 5mm nut and oversized washer so its all perfect again.

If somebody has done this before and found an easy way to remove the
nut then I'll give it a go but I wont be taking the bumper off for it.

red-jeffers, there's a set of RCCR's sat here wanting a new home, PM me with an offer [:D]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hmmm, rear bumper off means removing the blighters again - not a chance!!

I think it going to be a case of if it rattles then I'll have to remove it, if not then conveniently forget about it!!

There's no way of locating the nut and socket extension bar from the top, why did VW design it this way - arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks Simon, the new clusters look superb.
No worries mate, let's see some pics.

You will be the first owner of R/B/B/R's on a silver golf!!

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Sorry I wouldn't leave *that* nut off, it holds the whole front section of the light in place against the weather seal, and believe me it will leak eventually.

Gary if you *do* drop the nut inside then it is possible to retrieve without much hassle if you undo the carpet trim to expose the inner arch. If it's not rattling around and you've got another nut on the lug then I'd leave it tbh

I've got an ace tool for this kind of job. It's like a pen, with an 'old style' telescopic aerial with the strongest little magnet on the end. It cost me about 20p on the local market but has got to be one of the most useful tools in my box.

also a bit of blu tack in the socket to hold the nut helps to attach it back without dropping it :eek:)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You know the one, it has to be THE most awkward nut I have had the pleasure of removing.

Anyway, lets just say if I managed to drop the said nut would it be possible to recover?
What about if part of my socket set was still attached to it? [:$]

What would need removing? Rear arch liner?

Surely somebody else has managed to drop one, did you just leave it and use another nut in place of it?
Gary, I dropped *THAT* nut when fitting my RCCRs... Believe it or not, I managed to remove it with my hand! My hand very nearlly got stuck but I was just ok.. hehe.. Maybe get somone with small hands to give it a go?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pat, its in there at present with a short exension bar and an 8mm socket - all stuck together so I wouldn't drop the nut!!!

I changed from stock to RCCR's without a problem but it was dark last
night and I was rushing to see what my new clusters looked like,
that'll teach me I guess.

I may have a go at removing the carpet trim as this doesnt sound like
much hassle but its currently not rattling around so im in no rush.

We are talking about the same side here aren't we? The one where the socket enters a square hole about 2cmx2cm (passenger side)?

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Yep the same 2cm square hole, which also has the sunroof drain pipe running between the hole and the screw.. Having said that you haven't got a sunroof have you Gary?

either way, its a tricky one!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I found that using a short piece of electrical tape, about 20mm length, will secure and hold the nut in place inside your socket bit whilst you undo it and pull it through the small opening. You can do the same with another piece when you come to put it back on. Bit similar to the blue tack, but the tape 'locks' the nut in the 8mm socket good and fast. Just pull the edge of the tape away to fetch the nut out when your at a safe distance away from the offending (black)hooooole!

Top Tip [Y]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That tip was used but the extension bar fell off the socket set!!

I now have an extension bar with a nut wrapped in insulation tape inside it somewhere in my car [:D]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gary,

I did exactly the same thing (extension bar / socket taped together), and it fell off for me too, but was fairly

easy to get out..

Chris

·
Registered
360 Posts
Chris. tell me more!!

Easy? as in the bar didnt drop all the way down?
Just been for a quick look as its a while since It happened, and I cant see that much without removing the

bracket... But it fell all the way down as I remember it landed in wax-oyl where the rear quarter meets

the arch. Have you removed the bracket, and stretched the carpet right back?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not right back, I only had the extinguisher bracket off.

If I also take the CD bracket off then I should be able to pull it right back.

I'll try that later, thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts