Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did an online quote with them as renewal was due;

21 Year old, 4 years NCB. No endorsements/no accidents. VW Bora 1.9 130PS. Came to ?595 with ?40 cashback.

I decided to call them, see if I could get it over the ?600 mark as you get ?60 cashback.. you see my point ;) - So the nice guy at the other end of the line said ?604 (That's what his system quoted him) - I guess I was just getting some % of discount online extra. LOL. So was worth the call.

I even got Clubcard points, which equates to ?24 worth of shopping.

?520 all in. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is that with all the modifications advised as mine is due up for renewal soon and was just going to look at the usual suspects (Brentacre, HIC etc)

·
Diesel isn't a dirty word
11,030 Posts
That's note a bad quote once you take the cash back and points into consideration.

The only problem is that Tesco are absolutely sh1t if you ever have to claim for anything.

When the wife had an accident (she was hit in the rear by a taxi so not her fault) Tesco wanted her to do all the leg work and ringing round (including liaising with the third party and their insurance company) when she got all the info she could and gave it to Tesco they said that it was not enough and they could not progress the claim against the third party so she would have to pay for the repair and loose her NCB which was thankfully protected.

Six months later she had the same happen again (rear ended on a roundabout oo-err!) but she had changed insurance companies to Churchill, this was ?50 more expensive than Tesco but the difference in service was worlds apart - one phone call and they sorted everything for her including filling out the claim form, all she had to do was sign it.

It's just the old adage of you get what you pay for I suppose, as I know from conversations I have had at work that ours is not an isolated incident as far as Tesco are concerned either.

Neil

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm going to be looking for insurance soon but I'm deffo going to declare my mods... dont want no nasty suprises if I need to claim.

Seems a good price but sorry to repeat the question... is that with or without mods declared? [:^)]

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Tesco are pretty cheap IMO,

You gotta watch renewal time though. Its so easy just to let it auto renew but twice now i've gone online and got a better quote. I even phoned up to check all the details and the woman said "It doesn't make sense, just buy it online". That saved me nearly 200 quid. Same thing happened to my brother.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only real modification are coilovers.

What I mean by that is; Standard "VAG" Rims. ECU Remap? What Remap?. Audi TT "VAG" brakes.

Yes, all declared as a standard Bora.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had an accident with Tesco insurance (not our fault, but the other party denied responsability) but everything got sorted relatively quickly and the solicitors did everything - we paid extra for legal fees / protection. However, once the solicitors had finished, it took AGES to get Tesco to put us back onto normal insurance, and refund the premium, there seem to be two claims departments (a tesco one and an external one) and they are pretty much useless at talking to each other, we had to literally make tesco phone the external claims part of tesco insurance before they would update their records, despite the external claims people emailing tesco several times (they don't have a direct number for the internal claims part of tesco - it's shocking!).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'd seriously reconsider your decision to insure this as a standard car, if anything happens to it they will pay out for third party liabilty (damage to others) but if there is anything left of your car to inspect it will be obvious. Your cover as fully comprehensive will be simply voided for non disclosure.

Effectively if you do not disclose you might as well insure it third party only.

If you follow your line of reasoning that VAG parts = factory, then surely I could buy a 1.0 lupo and stick and audi RS4 engine in it and insure it as that.

I'm purely offering advice, I know its easy for me to say this but I used to work in insurance and know that vehicles are inspected when damaged/stolen. It also helps that I'm old and wise (debatable) now at 38.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd seriously reconsider your decision to insure this as a standard car, if anything happens to it they will pay out for third party liabilty (damage to others) but if there is anything left of your car to inspect it will be obvious. Your cover as fully comprehensive will be simply voided for non disclosure.

Effectively if you do not disclose you might as well insure it third party only.

If you follow your line of reasoning that VAG parts = factory, then surely I could buy a 1.0 lupo and stick and audi RS4 engine in it and insure it as that.

I'm purely offering advice, I know its easy for me to say this but I used to work in insurance and know that vehicles are inspected when damaged/stolen. It also helps that I'm old and wise (debatable) now at 38.
I have already notified Tesco's about the non-standard suspension, and I can't insure it third party - Car too expensive. Not that it's worth the paper it's written on anyway.

Putting a RS4 engine into a Lupo is an obvious increase in displacement in terms of cubic capacity, which ups the power of such a car. Wheels do not add power. Suspension does not add power. An all red TDI badge does not add power. ECU remap, What ECU remap?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both me and my girlfriend where with tesco ( 2 cheapest quotes by far ) but when she had a bump - not her fault.  they where totally useless , we ended up doing all the calls to them and police , no help what so ever . cancelled both policies and went back to directline . Tescos is only good for one thing - SHOPPING !

·
Registered
259 Posts
Geforce, I'd second N3DXT's comments - if you've changed the brakes, tell the insurance company. Never rely on what seems to be logical. Don't forget that an insurance company's job when you make a claim is to do your best to avoid paying up, that's how they make a profit. Your brakes might be twice as effective as the standard ones, but if you have a prang and they find out they will NOT pay up - no question of that.

Best to declare. You might find that they'll agree it's OK.

Martyn

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You lads (and lasses, if there are any) are right, I should declare all modifications regardles.

So, I called Tesco's this evening.. There's no harm in asking, right? What was I presented with? ... Holding music for approximately 20 minutes, so I hung up. Will call back tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You lads (and lasses, if there are any) are right, I should declare all modifications regardless.

So, I called Tesco's this evening.. There's no harm in asking, right? What was I presented with? ... Holding music for approximately 20 minutes, so I hung up. Will call back tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
The only real modification are coilovers.

What I mean by that is; Standard "VAG" Rims. ECU Remap? What Remap?. Audi TT "VAG" brakes.

Yes, all declared as a standard Bora.
You defo need to ring them, if you present the above as an argument if you have an accident you will be laughed at. Modification is anything that does not come with the car as standard, for example, my car had the Winter Pack as an extra when i ordered it, that is a modification (some insurers are more anal than others)....but wheels, suspension and brakes etc, you have no chance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Standard OEM Winter Pack from VW? Modification?

I burnt a hole in my seat with a cigerrette. Do I need to tell them about that modification as well? (I didn't, just taking it as an example)

Don't be so ridiculous.

·
Registered
628 Posts
juss rang tesco, they charge 20% on top of you premium for mods up to ?2000 and 25% on top for mods up to ?2000 ( but you have to be 25 for the ?2000 boundary).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also rang them... They wanted an extra ?130 for the remaining 10 months, which I didn't think was bad.

If I change to Adrian Flux, they want ?680 total for all the modifications for 12 months with protected no claims. That's approximately the same as Tesco's but without the protected no-claims part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts