Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, been looking to buy a Bora 4motion for a while now but they're thin on the ground. Finally got to drive a 2003 03 one with 50K on it the other day. Engine was sweet as a nut, peachy smooth with that gorgeous noise, but I was disappointed with the go. I know I had 2 passengers with me, but I had the chance to give it some in 3rd gear, at 40mph, downhill on a sliproad joining a motorway. Foot to the floor and... hmm, not much of a kick. Bear in mind that I had just driven 200 miles in my Mum's 1.4 Polo, I expected a big jump. My own car is a Vento with an ABF, about 168bhp, and I'm looking for a step up in performance.

Was this car off-colour do you think or was it just the extra weight? Two passengers wouldn't have slowed my car down THAT much. Opinions from other 4mo owners would be much appreciated - don't know what else to buy if not this car!!!

Cheers

Martyn

·
Registered
248 Posts
It sounds to me like the car you drove may have had a dodgy MAF (mass air flow meter) which causes the engine to believe theres less air coming in than there is restricting performance.

The V6 is the quickest engine in the range at just over 200 brake its plenty swift especially at the top end of the revs.

Test drive another to be sure even if you've no intensions of buying it, but it should have felt a lot faster than a 1.4 polo.

Because the engines are torquey extra weight doesnt make a great deal of difference, not like a hot hatch anyway which become more luke warm when 3-4 up.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I went from a Bora 1.6 to a Bora V6 (my previous car) and the jump was huge...not R32 performance certainly, but not slow! Definetly gave a good kick in the back off the line (4WD). Sounds like it may have had a problem but not sure what? MAF is def the first place to check, as said I would drive another back to back if you can...not that there are many about

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I agree a drive in another car is the best idea. I'll have to test a Golf as there are so few Bora 4mo's about. At least my faith is restored - didn't know what I'd buy if not the Bora!

Cheers

Martyn

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Could be all kinds of stuff.. mine is really suceptible to stale petrol.. (petrol loses its ocatne fast)

some fresh petrol and an ECU reset and it feels like sones bolted a VF charger to it

Try another or... see if a member with a 4motion near to you will take you for a spin

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
my maf is goosed the now and it makes a huge difference to the performance, its no where near as responsive and doesn.t rev as freely as it usually would so possibly whats wrong with the bora you test drove , i think personally the engine, when good, makes it feel faster than it is because of the huge kick of instant acceleration you get when you put your foot down

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The additives added to petrol to boost ocatne go off or evaporate at a higher rate than petrol.... so octane ratings fall on petrol the older it is... if a car is left standing it will go off... especially if its poor quality fuel in the first place..

Also its wise to buy fuel from busy stattions to avoid fuel that has sat in stock for a long time

·
Registered
142 Posts
in the real world this is never a problem as the airspace in your tank and in the petrol stations tanks is vapour rich and so the petrol or its addatives do not evaporate off. petrol left standing for more than say 4 to 6 months will start to deteriate slightly, a greater problem with long standing fuel tanks is if they are empty they will condense water vapour on the inner walls. I run a petrol station and our 48000 litre petrol tank turns over its contents at least once a week. bad petrol is also mainly a myth, more likely is customer misfueling or in the days of 4 star, dodgy dealers mixing 4star and ul to get greater profit margins.

I ussualy explain to customers that ask where does your petrol come from " a refinery" where else can you get it ? i could post a pic of the shell stanlow complex filling rig with 5 different fuel companies tankers filling up at the same time. point is that the brand name on the forecourt isnt always the refinery it came from.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
in the real world this is never a problem as the airspace in your tank and in the petrol stations tanks is vapour rich and so the petrol or its addatives do not evaporate off. petrol left standing for more than say 4 to 6 months will start to deteriate slightly, a greater problem with long standing fuel tanks is if they are empty they will condense water vapour on the inner walls. I run a petrol station and our 48000 litre petrol tank turns over its contents at least once a week. bad petrol is also mainly a myth, more likely is customer misfueling or in the days of 4 star, dodgy dealers mixing 4star and ul to get greater profit margins.

I ussualy explain to customers that ask where does your petrol come from " a refinery" where else can you get it ? i could post a pic of the shell stanlow complex filling rig with 5 different fuel companies tankers filling up at the same time. point is that the brand name on the forecourt isnt always the refinery it came from.
thats funny.... because vag com shows me that my ignition is retarding itself alot more when I havent driven the car for more than a few weeks... a warm up and ecu reset doesnt help ... however a fresh tank of juice AND an ecue reset and the problem is fixed... the only explanation for this is the knock sensors are deticting pre ignition and thus retard it.... what may you suggest is causing this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooh-er, what have I started?!!!

To be honest the petrol does sound like a possible reason. The car has stood for at least 3 months with only the odd test drive from the likes of me. The fuel light came on as I drove out of the garage! Otherwise the engine seemed fine - revved cleanly from idle, no warning lights on dash - but certainly no kick of acceleration. Will deffo drive another - if I can find one within 200 miles of me!

By the way Andymac, the fans on both 4mo's I've looked so far at had failed on slow speed - thanks for the heads-up on that, much appreciated.

Cheers

Martyn

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Disconect batery for 10-15 minutes. reconect then drive off "dont let the car idle" drive off straight away. Then within 10 minutes of restarting do some low RPM to high RPM in gear driving preferably uphill.. do plenty of mixed driving through the full rev range. This helps the ecu get all its parameters correctly.

Most 4motion and R32 owners will gain from this, many guys on here swear it makes a difference.. especially if the car has been using poor grade fuel or been driven sedately alot

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
You can do a throttle body reset with vag com but its better and easier just reset everything by pulling the battery, as the throttle body reset does not tell the ecu to re-learn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts