Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my quest to find a car to replace my Puma and motorbike next spring, I took a standard 220bhp WRX out for a spin yesterday.

They shift a bit - it pulled hard all the way to the redline and sounded like some kind of aircraft! The grip even in the wet was superb.

I think I'll try an STI with 260bhp [;)]

What I dont get is it felt a fair bit quicker than a 225 TT - and the official figures back that up - but it has less power [?]

·
Registered
646 Posts
I know this isnt the right place to say it, but I love the sound of the flat four, and they have phenomenal grip/speed

Interior is a bit crappy though after german cars [:(]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Subaru WRX 1850kg

TT 225 Coupe 1795kg

So that doesn't explain it. And I thought the Scooby was tinny and lightweight, but I suppose that applied to the previous model more. Maybe the Scoob has shorter gearing. It's certainly a more focussed car and a blast to drive but for shorter distances than your Audi. Also, have you considered the fuel bills. It is impossible not to rag these cars and then you will see low 20's (and under that in the STI!)

Great car though. I would have had one if the company car tax rules had not changed. Still, have had some good cross-country drives winding up UK Turbos and WRX's in my old smoker!

·
Registered
798 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Reflex TDI

Subaru WRX 1850kg

TT 225 Coupe 1795kg
Those figures are 'Weigh' [:p] out , the TT weighs a couple of hundred kgs more than a Golf, haven't bothered looking up the exact figures but 1400kgs would be more like it, Scoob will be a bit less. Doubt if an S class merc weighs much more than 1850kgs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i for one wonder why the 0-60 for the WRX is so quick?

Less power than a lot of other quick cars but apparentely faster.

Praps it the 4WD traction.

0-60 time of 5.8sec ish? you have to have a car with 300bhp+

to get near it.

It must be realy light compared with an R32.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The traction is superb on them - I drove it in the wet and you can really nail it everywhere and the car never squirms [:D]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tested the Sti a few months back, then tested the PPP version (prodrive upgraded version - 300bhp) and what a difference. If you thought the Sti was fast, the Prodrive version will scare you... [:D]

·
Registered
264 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by spencert

quote:

Subaru WRX 1850kg

TT 225 Coupe 1795kg
Those figures are 'Weigh' [:p] out , the TT weighs a couple of hundred kgs more than a Golf, haven't bothered looking up the exact figures but 1400kgs would be more like it, Scoob will be a bit less. Doubt if an S class merc weighs much more than 1850kgs.
those are gross rather than curb weight, the scoob is about 70kg lighter

·
Registered
703 Posts
saw one the other day racing through london to near where i live... it was blue.... and had a large siren, with big grean and red lights on the roof as well as DOCTOR all over the side and front....

it was pouring it down, and the roads were soaking yet the driver of this beast just kept going...

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's an emergency doctor who lives a few roads away from me who also has an Impreza with all the lights etc.

North Yorkshire Constab. also have them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The scooby is geared lower than the VW's.... they're bigger CC... more torque.... bigger turbo to more torque! pretty sure they run the IHI chargers? soooo they will feel quicker.... I can still have a dabble once we're rolling thou!

·
Registered
798 Posts
quote:

quote:

those are gross rather than curb weight, the scoob is about 70kg lighter
And what's that got to do with the price of fish ???? since when did manufacturers publish 'performance' test data with their cars fully laden ? They might quote figures with a couple of passengers and some luggage !!!! but not with 4 *16stone blokes as passengers

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have driven the PPP version.

I scared the living poo poo out of me!!!

Couldn't drive it every day[:(]

The interior was crap as well!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
quote:

quote:

Subaru WRX 1850kg

TT 225 Coupe 1795kg
And to think I went to all that trouble of going to www.subaru.co.uk and www.audi.co.uk to look them up as well.[:p]

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well considering I didn't look it up, my 'guestimate' for the Scoob's weight was pretty good ! Anyway I still fail to see the relevance of mentioning the gross vehicle weight, the car weighs what it weighs ! what you can stuff into it is an irrelevance when publishing peformance test data...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My brother's got a Scooby WRX STi witha superchip in it - about 325bhp i think [!] [!] [!]

And MY GOD is it quick [:D] sounds wicked too, especially with the dump valve hissing away when you lift off to change gear. I was really shocked by the force it pushes you back against the seat with when you floor it - always makes me grin like a fool! [:D]

Had a drive in it myself once, and thought i'd gone very quick, and afterwards my brother says "you could have pushed harder, you only went up to 5000..."

But then again, i already got points on license so didnt want to risk it when some other cars joined the bit of empty road i was on.....already doing over 100mph too, so backed off in case it was undercover cop car or something.

Anyway, tobmob, its an extremely quick thing, and handles really, really well - shame theres a bit of a stigma with 'em cos they are actually a lot of fun.

Oh, BTW though, he only gets about 21-25mpg.........if he goes easy on the right foot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a Scooby for about 6 months prior to getting the 150TDI and always thought that the Golf felt quicker !

Took my mates MY00 Turbo out last night to nip to the shops and it really did confirm my initial thoughts and the Golf really does "feel" quicker than a standard non-max powered Scooby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts