Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Test Drive - Slow "GTI T"??

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
Hi There,

I went to a second hand car sales place and drove a "GTI T" car was in great condition ad engine run smooth the car had 106K miles on the clock, but my main problem was the car just felt slow to get going. could the mileage have caused this worn out turbo or something? I'm sure a 150 bhp turbo car should have been more impressive than this. the motor had full VW service history.

The car had an all silver "GTI" badge on the back I thought the turbo VWs had a red "I" is this not the case? I didn't check the engine which was a mistake but I had decided I wasn't sure about the car by then.

Can people give me a brief description of how the car feels power wise? I'm used to driving a light 1.4 but when I put my foot down I feel it straight away, this was not the case in the VW, it was however very smooth.

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Sounds about rigth for a stock one, you cannot hear the turbo, certainly not on an AGU early (say t reg ish car).

If you wind down the drivers window and accelerate hard, you may just about heare the thing whistle a bit, but the boost is so low you can hardly knwo its there.

With a remap its a different story.

MK4 is a heavy car, not saying your s is right just that mine was like that when I got it!

#5 ·
Disagree completely with the above comments. On my Y reg you CAN hear the turbo from inside and if you have the window down, you can't help but hear it (if your using it of course).

In first and second gear, floor it and you should be pushed into the back into your seat. Mine is completely stock and has 102,000 on it.

I've owned both the 2.0GTI and the 1.8T and the 1.8 is deffo faster.

It could have been that you had a 1.8 without the turbo, hence 125bhp. The ideal thing to do when test driving any of these cars is to lift the bonnet and just see if it's got a turbo sitting there.

Also, the GTI badges really dont mean that much, but yes, shoudl be all silver for 1.8 and 2.0 GTI's and Silver GT, Red I for 1.8T's and 150PD's. Don't take this as bible though as it's up to the stealers to stick the badges on.

#8 ·
Yer i agree with EJO, my turbo is really loud, people tunr around in the street when i floor it from the gorjus whistles it makes! [H]

My mate has 1.6 golf and he went for a spin out i my 1.8t and thought it was rapid, so if you have 1.4 you definalty shouldnt think it is slow dude lol

#16 ·
When I ran an AUM 1.8T the turbo whistle was very noticable but on an older AGU car; you couldn't hear it at all. IMO the 1.8T doesn't have great throttle response when pulling away; especially the AGU cars. Turbo seems to soften initial throttle response; 1.8n/a and 2.0 both had more immediate response.

#18 ·
When I ran an AUM 1.8T the turbo whistle was very noticable but on an older AGU car; you couldn't hear it at all. IMO the 1.8T doesn't have great throttle response when pulling away; especially the AGU cars. Turbo seems to soften initial throttle response; 1.8n/a and 2.0 both had more immediate response.
Matt its called turbo lag [;)] My dad was telling me the revs dont pick up as quick beacause its someting to do with turbo cars having different exhausts, and if you had that same exhaust on a non turbo car its perfomance would be heavily reduced?! i serouisly dunno i was really drunk at the time, on of those random chats i see, to have when i come in from the pub!

But my mate has a 1.6 bora and that engine pics up revs SOOOO quick its unbelievable!

#20 ·
On my '99 AGU you can't hear the turbo at all in stock mode.

You can in chipped mode however!!

I like the honest performance of the stock 150BHP 1.8T. It's quite a linear power delivery that just gets quicker as you go up the rev range. You can hardly tell it's a turbo car!!

Swicth it into chipped mode and it's a totally different drive!!! Smiles al round...

#21 ·
I agree with Malky.

My old 99 AGU was soooo quiet..... you could only hear the very
faintest of whistles, and pickup and progress was lethargic at best!

Switched to the 180bhp Cupra (AUQ) in November and boy what a
difference. The turbo is clear as day to hear, it really is much
louder, and has more in common with what you expect from a turbo'd
motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.