Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently Tescos are trialling a 99RON super unleaded in the south of the country that works out cheaper than Optimax. According to some of the forums, stores taking part in the trials are (thanks to poster on scoobynet):

Bedford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham
Lakeside
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage
Winchester

Anyone tried it out yet? Be interested to hear of any experiences of it in a MKV GTi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They also sell it at tescos camberley, been running my R32 on it for about 2 months and it loves it. I find it is just as good as Optimax and at around 88p a litre its cheaper. I only hope that they dont stop selling it.

Try it your car will love it.

Roy

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
They also sell it at tescos camberley, been running my R32 on it for about 2 months and it loves it. I find it is just as good as Optimax and at around 88p a litre its cheaper. I only hope that they dont stop selling it.

Try it your car will love it.

Roy
Would you say it is better than Optimax or just the same?

as a few of the named Tesco Petrol Stations are near me, but I don't want to put in the Tesco's petrol if it is not as good as optimax as an overall package/product (not just better due to the fact of the higher RON).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would say that i did not notice any major difference although i did not put a lot of optimax in before i started using the tesco petrol,  I've only had the car 3 months.  It may not be cleaning things or what ever else optimax does but it certainly goes just as well if not a little punchier.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have been using Optimax from new apart from the last few weeks when I found the Tesco 99 Ron was only 83.9p at tescos near to City Airport and have found the car to be just as responsive. This seems to be a bargain at the moment so I hope they don't stop selling it or cotton on that they can charge more as currently Optimax at my local is 94.9p.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Pity it is not available in other parts of the country.

It might even be made within about 20 miles from me at Grangmouth refinery [:(]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the plunge today. Car was just above the red and filled up
with super unleaded 99 RON from Galleons Reach Tesco. It was
84.9p per litre and so far so good, car is just a responsive (if not
better) and same level of engine noise as optimax.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Count yourselves lucky to get any Super...some idiot in the Republic decided to discontinue distributing Superplus and now you can't get it. Doesn't bother me at the moment but if/when I get a GTI it will.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Shall run mine down a fair whack (I get jittery when mine goes under half a tank cos I'm a wally like that) and nip over to Lakeside and fill up to see how it goes I think [:)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Does make a slight difference actually, mate at work's just got hold of his Cooper S and he may have a crack.

Does anyone know if the list has grown, and alternatively where the list came from in the first place?? Google's failing me for about the first time ever [;)]

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the list off another forum after finding a link in Google - Don't know if the list has grown recently.

Filled up last week at Galleons Reach (Beckton) and price has gone up to 88.9p per litre - no so much a bargain now but still miles cheaper than Optimax.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
It's 91.9 over at Lakeside (well it was last week), same as Optimax over in Dartford so makes no odds (as I can fly that way going home from C London)...

If anyone wants to know if it's still the same, will be goin there Sat AM on way home from work for a top up [;)]

PS - did have alook through google but could only find the above list!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm running both the R32 and MK5 GTI on that stuff. Its still around 85p at Gallions Reach.

Cars seem to like it and I love it for the price I pay. I'm even putting that in our wheel barrow, Renault Megane.

Just for peace of mind. I add STP fuel cleaner here and there.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cheeky f'ing arabs, it's now 92.9 (Lakeside), so I won't be using that no more!

Back to Optimax at this rate until that crawls up again!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Looks like it's slowly being rolled out now.

For you SE London boys, Tesco's Ruxley (Sidcup) are now doing it - 1-2p cheaper than Optimax, and I don't have to pay to get to Lakeside no more for it!

C

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's still 93.9 at Tesco Extra Beckton - so much for a 4p cut. So far as I can see - no-one has cut their price yet [:mad:].

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Prices have dropped here to 90/89 depending on where you go, and it was on 94/93.

However this was talking about the super unleaded, not the normal stuff [:)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Oh and as an aside, afore mentioned mate with his Cooper S has said he notices a difference between the Optimax and the 99 as well. Mad [:D]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts