Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, does anyone else us this fuel? Seems good value and has a better octane content than optimax, however i've heard loads of bad things about super market fuel and the lack of additives, lower quality fuel etc.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I started using it back in the summer, there was a marked difference in performance and much better economy.

Then i startd getting a few issues with throttle response and idling
witht he engine. I put in the dealer who so said there was an unusual
build up in the throttle body - something they have seen before when
people use supermarket fuel. I confirmed i had been using tesco 99 ron
fuel. They recommended I didn't but use Optimax. So i'm back with
Optimax now, done 4000miles since and the problem has not come back.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There is a known problem with a sticky TB due to a build up regardless of what fuel you use. It is the wonderfull breather systems on modern cars. My 99 1.8T had an issue and it has always used Optimax.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have been using tesco unleaded or three years and have not had any problems with it, in fact just had it M O T'd and it was that clean it was apparently puttin out 'fresh air' i beleive the tester said and still not had any response or idle probs

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i use this fuel! havnt had any probs. cheap and i got a tesco club card too [:D] amazing how much i spend on petrol a month [:mad:]

·
Registered
602 Posts
We've got 2 tescos superstores near me. One where i live and one where i work and i've recentley started usign the 99ron fuel because its cheaper at the gargage near work than i used to pay for normal unleaded near my house. It seems to give better throttle response and slightly improved mpg.

I've used tesco fuel for years in lots of cars and never had any problems.

I'm confused that the same supermarket chain, two stores about 10miles distance apart and about 5p/litre difference.

At the moment tesco 99ron is 89.9 pence / litre near work and normal unleaded is 91.9 pence / litre near my house.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would run with Shell 99 RON and put in some Red Ex. If you buy the
big bottle it will last ages. I'm sure that they must have to ut
corners in making the fuel.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have been advised that Tesco 99 fuel is supplied by Esso, which is strange as Esso Super is only 97, but true.

I use Tesco 99 fuel and It seems to be the same as Optimax, but Tesco fuels are cheaper.

Optimax Fuel is said to be 98.6 fuel, so I guess it is that close to Tesco that you will not really notice any difference, just the price.

I think the best thing to do would be half of Optimax and Half of Tesco's fuel.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What is Red Ex - what does it do?
Its a fuel additive that cleans up fuel deposits. So, if this Tesco RON
is missing some additives its a good way of adding those. I use it (on
our Petrol) one bottle lasts for ages so it works out quite cheap.

I don't want to use BP Ultimate in our Petrol because it costs a lot more but I like cleaning benefits of it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I have been advised that Tesco 99 fuel is supplied by Esso, which is strange as Esso Super is only 97, but true.

I use Tesco 99 fuel and It seems to be the same as Optimax, but Tesco fuels are cheaper.

Optimax Fuel is said to be 98.6 fuel, so I guess it is that close to
Tesco that you will not really notice any difference, just the price.

I think the best thing to do would be half of Optimax and Half of Tesco's fuel.
As someone mentioned to me a while back though, careful you get it
right - don't wanna go confusing your ECU now with permanently changing
RON levels, which was a fair point

We've had this debate in the mk5 forum before, and out of the 7.5k my
GTI's done, over 4k of that is on Tesco 99, and everything's been
fine. You can't half tell the difference just in Optimax/Tescos,
too. I'm back on Optimax for a good while mainly cos I'm off work
and cant get to Lakeside for the Tescos until probably Christmas or
after [:(]

C

·
Registered
611 Posts
I would run with Shell 99 RON and put in some Red Ex. If you buy the big bottle it will last ages. I'm sure that they must have to ut corners in making the fuel.
How sure are you that the long term use of Redex will not damage the catalyst and Lambda probes ?

I have seen it said on other forums that occasional use is unlikely to poison the catalyst, but you appear to be advocating continuous use. My view is that extra additives are dangerous to those components and could cause some very expensive damage.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would run with Shell 99
RON and put in some Red Ex. If you buy the big bottle it will last
ages. I'm sure that they must have to ut corners in making the fuel.
How sure are you that the long term use of Redex will not damage the catalyst and Lambda probes ?

I have seen it said on other forums that occasional use is unlikely
to poison the catalyst, but you appear to be advocating continuous
use. My view is that extra additives are dangerous to those components
and could cause some very expensive damage.
I've read this on other forums but I don't use any more than what is
recommended added to a full tank of fuel. I think u'd only have a
problem if you pored in neat into the engine (not sure how u'd do that
on modern engines)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've run several tankfuls of Tesco 99 through my REVO'd GTI 1.8T recently, including the TSR track day at Mallory Park last Saturday ? no problems

Difficult to discern a real difference compared with 98 RON Optimax or 97 RON BP Ultimate, but definitely better than normal unleaded (95 RON) and only 95p a litre at Tescos Bracknell, compared to well over ?1 for Optimax etc

·
Registered
112 Posts
ive just switched from optimax/ultimate to tescos 99 and have just recently started experiencing a sticky throttle problem, dya think this would be related to the sudden change in fuel?

cars goin to garage on monday for inspection so ill have a word with them, its just hit 77k and runs fine apart from this new problem with the throttle. ive been using optimax/ultimate since i bought the car in may.

·
Registered
409 Posts
ive just switched from optimax/ultimate to
tescos 99 and have just recently started experiencing a sticky throttle
problem, dya think this would be related to the sudden change in fuel?

cars goin to garage on monday for inspection so ill have a word with
them, its just hit 77k and runs fine apart from this new problem with
the throttle. ive been using optimax/ultimate since i bought the car in
may.
Exactly the problem i had. See my post above

·
Registered
112 Posts
thats not good really is it, u reckon ill be ok if i switch back to optimax then? its a shame because i can feel a difference in performance - may just be in my head tho!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts