Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Golf 1.8T 150bhp, At the moment the idle from startup is about 1100-1200 rather than 900ish, the temp reads just a but under 90 all the time, and the car has started getting a bit jerky at standstill.

I ordered a new green temp sender on ebay for £3.50, although now I plan to bin this straight away after what I have read.

Will be going to a dealer to get a genuine part and fitted (love my MK4 but im not exactly mechanically minded)

Should I just get the temp sender fitted or the thermostat too?

Any rough price guides would be helpful.

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get both - it'll be a false economy to do just the one item. Phone the dealer, ask what they will charge - that's the easiest way!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers buddy, yea, I did try that but they finished at 5:30 and I was still working, ideally would like a heads up for labour cost in case they get creative with their hourly rate.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I'd avoid a main dealer at any cost. Try and find a decent independent garage that is used to working on semi-decent cars. Parts, oem, will be around £50-60 for the two, and fitting will be around an hour to two hours of labour, depending on what equipment your car has and if there are any problems.

However, the temp sensor is pretty easy, and your symptoms 'might' be just the sensor, so go for that first.

Tony

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the main problem, finding a competent dealer that will not make things up as they go along

Anybody know of anybody they trust with their car near Huntingdon?

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
Surely you've friends and family that live locally and can recommend a decent local garage (NOT dealer!).

If not, a friend that can do the most basic of jobs on a car, and the How_to guide on this forum will see you ok. Seriously, it's not a difficult as changing a wheel and topping up the engine oil.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.