Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I've got a pinhole leak coming out of the plastic coolant flange that connects to side of engine and houses the engine temp sensor. It's coming and going but it's draining the coolant over 3 days or so. I'm going to get the piece replaced, can't find any cast aluminium ones on short notice so I've to swap for oem plastic.
I checked under the oil cap on engine and in last day or so its started being milky, leak has been there for a week or more now and I've not let it run dry. So it appears that I've now got a blown head gasket.
My question, am I better off biting the bullet and replace head gasket, water pump etc now or do I get some gasket sealer and try seal it temporarily till I can afford to get new gasket ?

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd do some more checks to verify a blown gasket first, and not just condensation. You can get testers that check for exhaust gases in the coolant, and also if you have an endoscope you can check to see if any of your piston tops have been 'steam cleaned' by coolant entering the combustion chamber.

Gasket sealer can work fine, but even with how good modern day sealers can be, personally I'd be wary of them blocking up something they shouldn't. If it blew due to overheating, then chances are you've warped the head too, so you'd need to factor in the cost of skimming the head or sourcing a replacement.

If you are in a pinch at the moment, then drop a bottle in, they're definitely easier on the wallet than getting the head skimmed and gasket replaced, and less time consuming too.

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,470 Posts
As above. Check first. Fix coolant leak, drive it properly to temp for an hour and see if you are loosing coolant and have oil mixing.

Volkswagens don't get headgasket issues unless it's massive user error in general.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.

Took her out for a 40km spin, coolants still peeing away but under the oil cap was fine when I checked after getting home. So is dipstick. Maybe I spoke in haste..I'll keep an eye..

Ideally I'd like to do a rebuild, complete buy the costs right now are too high and she's our daily so I can't afford the off time. I've done an all nighter and gotten the cover gasket and other stuff done, that took a weekend but I don't think I could honestly get this all done in a weekend without it costing me a small fortune..wife would defo not approve!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That's promising, HG is likely alright then.

If it's not burning oil, knocking away, or you're not chasing big power, then I wouldn't bother with a rebuild. No need to take on the extra cost if you have no necessity to.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
it doesn't mean the headgasket is gone, it's getting colder it could be simple condensation that will gbe gone if you actually go for a long drive where the engine hits operating temps and stays like that for at least an hour... look at the replies above... I picked up cars with the same thing going on people thinking headgasket gone... and bought it for almost nothing, got it compression tested and it's all fine... so if you really want to make sure it's the headgasket have the compression tested.

also the fact that you have a problem with the coolant getting low could simply be the waterpump packing up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna be dropping it in to a garage this week to get tie rod end changed and ps boot done. I'll ask em to do a comp test, I left my comp tester in another country.. idiot..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just replaced the entire pcv pipe, from crankcase right to the feed back into intake. Only section of pipe I didn't replace was the 'Y' section from rocker cover, that's clean as a whistle and the only piece of that piping that didn't crumble in my hands when I touched it.
Comp test is tomo hopefully so I'll know more then..

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
45 Posts
I just replaced the entire pcv pipe, from crankcase right to the feed back into intake. Only section of pipe I didn't replace was the 'Y' section from rocker cover, that's clean as a whistle and the only piece of that piping that didn't crumble in my hands when I touched it.
Comp test is tomo hopefully so I'll know more then..

Did you do the one under the manifold as mine was all choked and the rest were fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So garage did comp test and they're what they should be.. idk she never used to do it so I think somethings up but what do I know..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts