Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just thought that this would be of interest to others....

1. What tyres you got i.e. Make, Sizes, Tread pattern......?
  2. What they like in the wet and in the dry.......?
  3. What they cost and from where......?

Cheers all

GT 130

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I shall get the ball rolling!

1. Khumo Ecsta Supra 235/35ZR19 91Y, high performance sport tyre with directional tread and central recess.
  2. In the wet they are amazing, grip the road almost better than in the dry!!! In the dry they are also very good - no complaints atall.
  3. I bought them with my wheels - to replace they are around ?150 each I guess.

GT 130

·
Registered
593 Posts
1. Goodyear Eagle F1s 215/45/17

2. Excellent in the dry and just as good in the wet - outstanding!

3. Er, came with my Santas I bought from the classifieds on here. Think they are about ?100 ea in 17''.

·
Registered
792 Posts
1. Goodyear Eagle F1s 215/45/17

2. Excellent in the dry and just as good in the wet - outstanding!

3. Er, came with my Santas I bought from the classifieds on here. Think they are about ?100 ea in 17''.
What is the correct size for santa monicas? mine has 225/45/17 not 215/45/17???

just bought goodyear eagle F1's for ?100 each from a place down the road inc fitting balancing etc, dont seem much better than the dunlop sports I had on in the dry, but they were more like slicks anyway[;)]

·
Registered
558 Posts
1. Falkens in 195/50/15

2. Above average in wet and dry

3. About ?35 a tyre.

Big plus side is that they have rim protectors (for when I parallel park without 100% concentration), they last for ages and they look nice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - 225/40 ZR 18

Nice and progressive, but noisy in the dry and when new, lovely in the wet. However, now they've done 20k miles they a bit "floaty" in the wet. However, they are nice and slidey in the dry [:)]

They cost me ?100 a corner 'cos I bought them through my Dad. However, I think anywhere between ?130 and ?150 is a normal price.

·
Registered
895 Posts

1. ContinSportContact 205/55/R16 91W Asymmetrical
  2. Decent grip in both wet/dry conditions. Above average on wear.
  3. Believe they would cost around ~?85 each to replace.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What is the correct size for santa monicas? mine has 225/45/17 not 215/45/17???

just bought goodyear eagle F1's for ?100 each from a place down the road inc fitting balancing etc, dont seem much better than the dunlop sports I had on in the dry, but they were more like slicks anyway[;)]
VW supply Santa Monica alloys with 225/45/17 rubber, though 215/45/17 shouldn't make much difference.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice bit of info there people, keep it coming - all very useful to know

cheers

GT 130

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
2 x Kumho Ecsta 205/55/16 & 2 x Pirelli P9000 - had them on each end to manage the wear.

Kumhos good & grippy in the dry slide progressively in the wet - Pirellis noisy squeally and generally not a tyre I'd buy again.

The Kumhos were ?42 fitted from Bracknell Tyres - the Pirellis came on the wheels when I bought them.

I'm going to try 4 Kumhos next - 225/50/16 to see what benefit it offers going up on the width (if any?)

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
2 x Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front - 205/55/16 - ?140 delivered from mytyres.co.uk. Superb alround.. just wish they lasted a wee bit longer.

1 x continental sportcontact and 1 x merit something ! (I forget the name..) on the back. El Cheapo tyre from the scrappy, as the other Conti got two nails right through the tread ! The Contis are twice the age of the Goodyears and probably slightly more tread left on them. Longer lasting but never had them on the front to comment on the performance much.

Once I get the 17's on, it'll be 2 x brand new Toyo Proxes T1-S on the front (again from mytyres.co.uk - superb service I've had from them so far.) and two part worn Pirelli P6000's on the back. they are all 225/40 or 45/R17 - I think ! [:|]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice detail there cheers, the info collected is all good....!!! Keep it coming.

GT 130

·
Registered
32 Posts
Santa Monicas with Dunlop SP9000 225/45/17

Bought from mytyres.co.uk at ?89.50 each

Used Eagle F1's before and dare I say the Dunlops seem the same in the wet but slightly better in the dry

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Conti SportContact 2 225/45 R17. Cornering grip is addictive (but then this is coming from steelies and stock 80 profile EcoContacts so can't compare to others of the same size). No nasty surprises in the wet, have to really overcook it to get any aquaplaning, though seem to be easy to spin even in the dry if not careful, probably due to the tread pattern, which is basically a bunch of thick rings all the way around, with absolutely no lateral pattern except for the very edges! A chunky looking tyre, which also has a good few millimetres of protrusion for rim protection on a 7.5" section wheel. I love the tread design, looks clean and substantial.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Nankang 225/40/18

They came with the alloys, and to be honest, they are absolutely fine! I know they are budget tyres, but they do grip well in both wet and dry, would certainly buy them again.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's all round - 225/40/18 - V-Tread pattern.

Posted Image

Superb in the dry, very predictive with no tyre squeal at all.
Excellent also in the wet too as the tread pattern dispels water superbly, very impressed indeed.

?125 per corner, balanced and fitted from Dave Sheldon Tyres in Manchester - the only place I would use.

·
Registered
195 Posts
1) Michelin Pilot Sport 2's

2) No idea, i am yet to drive my R32 after a 2.5 year driving ban

3) No idea how much they were as they came as a lot with the 19'' Sportec Mono's

1 - 20 of 30 Posts