Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have the common problem of the wiper pipe detaching from the rear wiper motor in the boot lid. I have disconnected it and dried everything out but it still has a problem when re-connected.

It goes like this, unlock the car with the remote, open the boot and after about 30 seconds the car re-locks and the alarm re-arms. From this I understand this to be the microswitch built into the boot lock mechanism, am I right??

Also I seem to remember reading that someone managed to source a microswitch alon without having to purchase the complete boot lock unit, is this right if so help needed to find somewhere to buy one and which one is needed??

Many Thanks

Adrian

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are the puddle lights meant to work?

Sorry to sound dull, but unsure whether they both come on automatically or when a door is opened??

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Mine had this problem when I first got it.

The car will automatically relock itself after 30 seconds if it doesn't sense that a door or the boot has been opened. If I opened any door then the car wouldn't relock but if I only opened the boot then the car would relock and rearm itself after 30 seconds. Very annoying when you are at Tescos loading your shopping into the boot when the car rearms itself and then the alarm starts going off!

The easier way to tell if its the boot switch not working is to see if the boot light comes on when you open the boot. If not then the boot switch is dead.

Tried cleaning / drying mine to no avail and ended up replacing it with a new one sought from eBay. After that the problem was cured.

VW do list a separate part number for just the microswitch but noone (including them) had never tried renewing just the switch as its easier to replace the whole catch mechanism.

Puddle lights on the doors come on when that particular door opens (controlled by a switch in the door catch mechanism). The interior light in the car should come on when any door opens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, my puddle lights come on at the same time as the interior light when I unlock the car without opening any door, is that right?

I think its time to look on Ebay for a new boot catch then.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the same happened to my boot mechanism... i went to the stealers, curious for a price and a part No. and to my suprise they are only ?8.21 + VAT.....?9.65 all in.

im fitting mine tomorrow morning if the rain keeps off for 5.

·
Super Moderator
50,214 Posts
Thanks for your help, my puddle lights come on at the same time as the interior light when I unlock the car without opening any door, is that right?
The puddle lights are switched directly by the microswitch in each door inependant of each other and aren't on a delay,so as soon as you close the door,it should go out.So with the door closed,no they shouldn't be on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the same happened to my boot mechanism... i went to the stealers, curious for a price and a part No. and to my suprise they are only ?8.21 + VAT.....?9.65 all in.

im fitting mine tomorrow morning if the rain keeps off for 5.
Thanks for your info I thought it would cost a lot more, a trip to the stealers on Tuesday I think.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i've made a bit of an error, i changed the boot lock solenoid (which in my defense was playing up anyway).....this part was ?10 ish...what i really needed was the rear boot catch/mechanism, which is around the ?25 mark.

this changed, ive been faithfully told, will stop all the problems with the doors and boot...and the locking problems will dissappear. [:)]

hope this helps

gareth

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats ok thanks for replying and your help.

One more question, how do your puddle lights work? Do they only operate when the relevant door is opened and closed or do they come on with the interior light?

·
2,166 Posts
Sounds about right, I think the microswitch on its own was about ?12 and the whole catch was around ?25 from the stealers.

I didn't fancy trying to change just the microswitch as its rivetted on and looked a bit fiddly to do so searched on eBay and got the whole catch for ?13

One thing I did forget to mention before if you are sufffering from the failed switch and you are only opening the boot once disarming the alarm, to stop it autlocking on you just open and shut one of the doors first.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks for the advice, I am searching ebay now too.

Another question about puddle lights, what does it mean if both mine come on with the interior light when unlocking and not when a certain door is opened??

·
2,166 Posts
Ok thanks for the advice, I am searching ebay now too.

Another question about puddle lights, what does it mean if both mine come on with the interior light when unlocking and not when a certain door is opened??
Just been out in the rain and checked mine for you!

On mine the puddle light only comes on on the door that is opened, when it is opened, and goes off when it is shut. Makes no difference if the interior light is on or not.

I opened a back door and the interior light came on but no puddle light until I opened that door.

Does that make sense? [:cool:]

·
2,166 Posts
Thanks very much mate, hope you didnt get too wet. My car is a three door will this make any difference?
Not too wet, the car is not far from the back door.

Now going to walk the dog in the rain so I'm sure I'll get wetter then if she has anything to do with it!

Doubt it will make any difference on a 3 door, as far as my understanding goes the puddle light on the drivers door will only come on when the drivers door is opened and same goes with the passenger door. Rear doors have no puddle lights in them anyway, I only got in the car this way to see if they came on when the front doors were shut but the interior light was on, and they didn't.

·
Registered
225 Posts
"puddle lights"??? if they are the lights that are in the door, then mine (on a 3dr) only come on when the relevant door is opened..along with the interior light!!

i.e if i open the drivers door... puddle light comes on, along with interior light! (no passenger light comes on)

if the interior light doesnt come on, doesnt the switch in the roof(interior) light need setting to the relevant option?? or am i missing the point [:$]

hope this helps [:^)]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update...both my puddle lights are working!

I am now going to try and sort out the boot, thanks for all the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts