Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TDi started playing up last month. Car starts and idles fine, but when you get to around 3000 rpm it started to cough and splutter. Plant your foot and it manages to clear itself for moment only to return. During a journey (as the engine heated up) the problem gets worse appearing anywhere from 1500 - 4000rpm, and after a while it becomes almost impossible to drive. The car had a 47k service last week, the garage didn't notice anything wrong, no error codes to report of. I thought it might be the quality of diesel (tesco) but I have switched to BP Ultimate, tried injector cleaners but still the problem exists. I have searched the forums and noticed others have had similar "burping" problems and that the issues may be with either the ERG valve or fuel mapping.

Any help/advice/tips/experience appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi,

Modern diesel engines are complicated. It could be any number of things as you can imagine.

An EGR problem sounds plausable. I believe that problem is usually associated with large puffs of black smoke out the back - do you see this?

Any amount of other factors can cause performance problems, air in the fuel, water in the fuel etc. I would be inclined to verify the 'fuel filter' has been changed. If you run your tank low regular this can clog the filter up quicker than normal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do run the tank low but it was in for a service on the 10th and the fuel filter "was" replaced. The problem started occuring before the service, about a month before and I thought it was just fuel quality. I, like many others, notice the car smoking a lot more when accelerating using cheaper diesel, but that disappears using diesel with additives. I have tried several manufactures diesel additive/injector cleaner at various fill-ups but nothing has worked. The car drives fine when below 2000rpm when heavy accelerating, and when cold, but progressively gets worse on a run. I think it will be back to the "stealers" to resolve.

·
Registered
350 Posts
if EGR is ruled out maybe its a faulty fuel injector or something. I've experienced stuttering at higher revs on a old Vauxhall diesel which turned out to be a duff fuel injector.

I would have thought something like that would show on a diags though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After several days of rough running and steadily getting worse, and trying the "Italian tune-up" method (which didn't help), the car finally went into limp mode. Managed to crawl 50 miles to my local stealer, bitched and moaned that 2 weeks after a major service I was back to see them, that it was running and sounding worse than a Pikey's transit and that I was embarrased to be in a VW. Will report back when they have lightened my wallet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer call tonight to say the problem with my car is the ecu, more specifically with the "tuned" mapping, and that they were unable to do anything with it, that I should take it back to the tuning company which carried out the work and get them to fix it, I would if the car was drivable. So they are going to see if a software update might correct the problem......well thank you for trying. 

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand their viewpoint, with a non-standard mapping they didn't install, they will have to rule it out first. And yes they can download an original ECU mappping, I think they just want to make you feel responsible for the situation. Hopefully that is the problem and not some other part, then I can have a friendly word to Superchip and see if I can get the map re-installed. I think in a situation like this the Bluefin would be very handy. 

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry to hear about your current TDI troubles ! [:(]

But on reading this, you have helped me make my mind up, on not having mine map/chipped etc . . .

Hope it gets sorted for you pal [;)]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

Spoke to the VW senior Technician looking at my car. He said there was an error code for #1 injector but that he had cleared it, test drove the car and it was running fine. I explained that the car had always started fine, idled fine, but after running for 10 minutes or more it would begin to mis-fire, he drove it for 2 minutes. He explained that with the non-standard mapping he would not be able to determine the exact problem, to do that he would have to re-install the latest VW software for the car. He went on to explain that it is VW policy to explain to customers that there is a potential to corrupt the ECU when downloading to one that has previously had a non-vw map applied and in the event of that happing, a new ECU would be necessary, and since it was to replace non-standard software the warranty would not cover the replacement. The ECU costs ?650+vat +installation. Catch 22. More to follow

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a call Friday afternoon, "Your car is ready to pick up". Collected the car, was given an explaination of the work carried out. "Carried out software update to engine ecu to reset ecu back to factory settings (ecu had been tuned). Carried out extended road test - tested ok". Thanked them and drove away, all of about 400m before the car began to misfire as previously. "Well I am sorry sir but we wouldn't have given you the car back if we knew there was a problem". What the hell is an "extended road test", sit in the car, have your lunch while listening to your favourite radio station?

Car is heading back in today for another round and possibly an "extensive road test"

·
Registered
127 Posts
what have the company that mapped it said?
i would have thought an ecu is like a small bit of memory which can be formatted then new software installed.?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On Friday they suggested I take the car out from the dealer and to the nearest Superchip agent and have them download a new map (as that was who/what VW were initially blaming). But the problem is not with the map, as resetting it to factory standard has proven, there must be some intermitted problem elsewhere and unfortunately the only way VW would deal with the issue was to have their own ECU software in place. So it exonerates Superchip and their product. They were very good to deal with, and when questioned, said they would provide some assistance/discount to have the map re-installed, which considering the original product was not purchased by me, and is outside the warrenty period.

·
Registered
251 Posts
On Friday they suggested I take the car out from the dealer and to the nearest Superchip agent and have them download a new map (as that was who/what VW were initially blaming). But the problem is not with the map, as resetting it to factory standard has proven, there must be some intermitted problem elsewhere and unfortunately the only way VW would deal with the issue was to have their own ECU software in place. So it exonerates Superchip and their product. They were very good to deal with, and when questioned, said they would provide some assistance/discount to have the map re-installed, which considering the original product was not purchased by me, and is outside the warrenty period.
It is things like this that make bluefin such a good product, i would have been surprised anyway if something superchips had done had caused and problems, generally they are really good and do not over-do the tune as to cause problems

·
Registered
350 Posts
when you say you've had your ECU modified is it the Bluefin variant or some other? I thought Superchips and Bluefin were the same product?

what kind of extra power is your car outputing when comparted to the standard car?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The problem sounds more like the EGR valve or a faulty injector the fact VW said there was an error on injector 1 this would have been the likely code for the engine managment light coming on and the car going in limp mode.  If the EGR valve has been ruled out I would get them to check the injectors I'm sure they have a method of checking them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when you say you've had your ECU modified is it the Bluefin variant or some other? I thought Superchips and Bluefin were the same product?

what kind of extra power is your car outputing when comparted to the standard car?
The car had the traditional Superchip upgrade treatment by previous owner (Foxy). Power output was graphed (rolling road) at 188bhp.

Bluefin is the latest method of updating your ECU which doesn't require a visit to Superchip. It can be done yourself with their special handheld download tool which comes with a tuned map of your choice. It also allow you to reset it back to factory settings if necessary although I suspect VW will still be able to detect this and will claim that the car has been modified.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem sounds more like the EGR valve or a faulty injector the fact VW said there was an error on injector 1 this would have been the likely code for the engine managment light coming on and the car going in limp mode. If the EGR valve has been ruled out I would get them to check the injectors I'm sure they have a method of checking them.
I too would have thought the problem might lay with an injector as that has been the only error code to be recorded to date. The technician did perform standard test on all the injectors and can back all clear. The engine management light has not come on once during for the last 2 months that this problem has been happening. At least when the car went back in on Monday I was able to demonstrate the problem and he was considerably surprised at how poorly the car ran, and was quick to point out that during his 20 minute extended road test that he never experienced it. They were not able to determine the problem yesterday and are still working on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer rang to inform me that the problem is with the injector wiring loom, one was on order and delivered tomorrow. They then spoke to VW high command and asked if the tuning could have in any way caused the fault, they said no (duh) so the loom is being replaced under warrenty. Thats good news I guess but what about re-installing Superchip mapping please!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Hi - have been reading through this a bit...and was in Crawley yesterday[:)]

I had a problem with my ECU not accepting technical updates about a year ago and VW replaced my ECU. I explained the problem to Superchips who re-mapped my car FOC. Admittedly, this was around 3 months after the original remap but I found their service levels impeccible.

If you don't ask etc etc....

Good luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts