Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how easy it is \ whats required to remove the plastic under engine tray to gain access to the sump plug to do an oil change on the Tdi engines ?  

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Just need to be able to jack the car up enough to get a screwdriver in
to take all the screws out. Then it will just come out of its slotted
in position.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes they are torx fittings and they can be a bit difficult to remove after winter salt gets to them as the splines start to corrode - I replaced most of mine to prevent having the same problem again and covered them with heavy grease before refitting!

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
You could go down the route of one of these:-

http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item439.htm

Pela oil extractor - I was very sceptical at first, but I have used one of these to change the oil on my car and the G/friends and its the easiest thing I have done for ages. No messing under the car at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

Got mine from the link above a few months ago at a good price but its even cheaper now!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You could go down the route of one of these:-

http://www.seamarknunn.co.uk/catalog/items/item439.htm

Pela oil extractor - I was very sceptical at first, but I have used one of these to change the oil on my car and the G/friends and its the easiest thing I have done for ages. No messing under the car at all. I would recommend it to anyone.

Got mine from the link above a few months ago at a good price but its even cheaper now!!
How much oil did it get out? The full 4.5 litres? My only problem is that it probably wouldn't get rid of the sludge at the bottom of the sump. I might get one though............

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Strangely it seemed to suck out more than 4.5 litres!!! It measured between 4.5 and 5 on the markings on the side of the container and when I transferred it to an old 5ltr oil carton it almost filled it. Once it sucked the lot out, I gave it a wiggle as you can feel the bottom of the sump with the tube - it got a little more. Then when I took out the oil filter (unbelievably easier on a TDI as it just lifts out the top) I stuck the tube where that was and it took a little more from in there too.

I know what you mean about thinking there will be sludge left but after using one, im confident it withdraws sufficiently. There must still be a few dregs on the base of the sump even when its drained through the plug and left to drip.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Pelas are wonderful.

It makes oil changes so easy on TDI. You can also get that pool of oil out of the filter housing on the TDI very easily and that pool must be somthing like an 1/8th of a litre !

As for sludge, don't worry about it (VW suck it out the dipstick tube) as if you really love your car, especially a TDI, you'll be changing the oil every 5k anyway. Before anyone mentions that the oil, especially the PD oil can easily do 10k, in my mind the oil might be fine, but it still has increasing amounts of stratchy soot suspended in it. As for going 15-20k on long life oil, that horrifies me. I personally dump the oil in the conventional manner every 4-5 changes just to be sure though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fantastic, I'm definitely getting one now. VW charge ?80 odd quid to change the oil but I've got some PD oil and filter so I'll do it myself. Was it easy to remove the oil filter element with your hands, or should I invest in a oil filter strap wrench?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Fantastic, I'm definitely getting one now. VW charge ?80 odd quid to change the oil but I've got some PD oil and filter so I'll do it myself. Was it easy to remove the oil filter element with your hands, or should I invest in a oil filter strap wrench?
It is easy but may be tight the first time ..... you take the filter housing cap off. After that though remember to oil the 'o' rings proior to refitting and simply don't over tighten it.

Tip, if you havn't got a tool to remove the filter cap, try the filter before you drain your oil, that way you can drive to the shops to buy the said tool. You could of course do the opposite, swear a lot and then get on your pushbike or the bus.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the advice lads, I think I'll get a filter wrench, I like me tools. I currently change my oil every 10K but I might do it more often now that I intend to do it myself. The oil extractor will come in handy for changing the oil in my lawnmower too!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ordered the PELA 6000 oil extractor on Friday via DIESEL's link above. It arrived today and cost ?34.90! Brilliant service.

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Good to hear your happy!  Make sure you run the engine for a bit to heat the oil up so its thinner and sucks out easier than cold thick oil.  Lets know your views once you have used it too!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just done my first oil change with the Pela 6000 device I bought a few weeks ago. This thing is brilliant and made the oil change an absolute doddle. No mess, no crwling under car. It helps that the TDI oil filter is a breeze to replace whilst standing up. The good thing about it is that you can sook all the old oil out of the filter housing aswell, something that wouldn't normally happen with a stealer oil change. It's definetely best to do it when the engine is hot, as any sooty, sludgy particles will still be suspended in the oil. It also makes the extraction a lot easier. I'd definetely recommend one of these if you do your own oil changes.

Now for a brake-fluid change................

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Few Questions

Just out of interest how much oil did you manage to extract ? Against the marks on the side of the Pela 6000 ?

How long did it take to empty the sump ?

Did you have to keep re pressurising it ? or just the first 20ish pumps ..

Cheers

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
When I do mine, it gets all the oil out and also allows you to pull the oil out of the filter housing which otherwise you wouldn't be able to get out, so I'd say you get more out than if you pulled the sump plug.

As for time, it does take a while and does take some more pumping along the way.

The routine for me is;

Set the Pela doing it's thing.

Change filter but not fit it

Re-pump, go and have a cup of tea

Pela's job then done excpet oil filter housing, quick bit of suction to clear that, filter on, top up with oil, job done.

Suppose it takes about 40 minutes.

Not that quick but so so easy it's not true.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Few Questions

Just out of interest how much oil did you manage to extract ? Against the marks on the side of the Pela 6000 ?

How long did it take to empty the sump ?

Did you have to keep re pressurising it ? or just the first 20ish pumps ..

Cheers
I managed to extract just over 4.5 litres of oil (about 4.75). I think that they put a little too much oil in the engine the last time I had an oil change. It took about 10-15 mins to sook it all out and I added a further 5 pumps or so every 5 mins. I just followed the instructional how-to that you posted. The only thing I'd say (the how-to doesn't mention) is that make sure to oil the new filter O-rings with fresh oil before fitting the oil filter. In all, it probably took 45 mins but the next time it'll be a lot quicker now I know what I'm doing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts