Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there I have a mk4 1.9tdi pd100.......and have recently purchased a chip box which plugs into the fuel sensor...now running about 140bhp.......i am now wanting that little bit of extra grunt but not to keen on spending 400 on a remap just yet....i have read about people removing the EGR valve for abit more extra go? Is this a good idea??and what sort of gains can you expect? Also what other methods can i consider for adding that bit of extra power?? around the 155-160 bhp will do a treat!! All advice considered!! :)

Thanks

TDIgolf18

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
I very much doubt you've a genuine 40% power increase from fooling the ecu into throwing more fuel into the cylinders. You'll need more boost for that, and that costs genuine money. Remaps don't have to cost £400, have a search through the advertisers on here, and through posts on this subject.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Get yourself a golf tee, pull the small vac pipe from the top of the egr valve and block the rubber hose. Aslong as this pipe does not leak the ecu will not throw a CEL.

If you like how it feels you can do a few things. 1)leave the golf tee in. 2) buy the vw egr plate from ebay for £2.50, this allows the valve to work but no gas to get through. 3)turn down the egr with vagcom. 4)fit the egr delete kit, this increases the bore but fools the car no better than the golf tee.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Deleting the egr will throw a cel and come your next mot the car will fail on emissions. You'd be better off binning the plug in box. All its doing is fooling the ecu to believe the car is running cold and eventually something will go wrong.
Your best bet is to get a re map but before doing that whip off all the intercooler pipes and give em a good clean, if you have time pull off the inlet manifold and clear all the funk out of that and deffo clean out your intercooler. That'll deffo add some horses. Deleting the egr won't give you any gains in that department but a decat might. Again you'll be faced with the same problem come mot time.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
In the MKV (2004 and newer) the EGR can not be deleted without a good remap but the MKiv will not put a CEL on unless there is a vacuum leak.

It might fail the MOT for extra fueling from your tuning box so I would definately remove when it goes in but it's upto you if you want to run the box in everyday life.
I had the resistor in the box (which actually fools the car into thinking the fuel is 130 degrees) on my car for 120,000 problem free miles but it's not a patch on a remap.

Dissabling/removing the EGR will make power delivery smoother (more petrol like) and will help maintain power for longer (not clogging).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Deleting the egr will throw a cel and come your next mot the car will fail on emissions. You'd be better off binning the plug in box. All its doing is fooling the ecu to believe the car is running cold and eventually something will go wrong. Your best bet is to get a re map but before doing that whip off all the intercooler pipes and give em a good clean, if you have time pull off the inlet manifold and clear all the funk out of that and deffo clean out your intercooler. That'll deffo add some horses. Deleting the egr won't give you any gains in that department but a decat might. Again you'll be faced with the same problem come mot time.
the decat shouldnt cause no problems for a mot? i thought diesels dont need a cat for a mot might be wrong :S

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
. So you say clean the hoses and intercooler?? Then add a decat and remap. Is it best to have a generic remap or a custom remap?? Withall these 3 things complete...what bhp could i be looking at? Cheers fellas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts