Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 115pd golf 5dr. Ive been looking around but i can only find GT TDI 115. Is there any regular 115pd available? Also what year did the PD engines come out in the golf?

What insurnace grp is a GTTDI 115 and a regular 115? IS there a big difference? What extra stuff does the GT have?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
IIRC in the 'normal' spec, there was only ever a 90 BHP (non-PD) and then a 100 BHP PD from about 2001.

The 115 PD was available from 2001, but only ever in GT spec - Colour Coded bump strip, leather 3-spoke steering wheel, alloys, A/C etc . . .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange, ive seen some 2000 and even 1999 cars in the autotrader that a 115pd. Also ive found a few S models.

What is the insurance grp for a S and a GTITDI?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Not sure mate, try parkers-online - I may be wrong, but I've never seen a 115 PD non-GT . . .

Pop into your local newsagent and get a Glasses' or Parkers guide, it lists the models in there . . .

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Be aware that some may not be what they seem. Some not so truthful dealers or sellers may try and pull wool over your eyes saying something is not waht it really is.

I think originally there were tdi 90's and 110's. They are non pd.

Then they brought out 115pd's at W reg. The first 115PD's were all GT TDI's and have 6 speed. I think 130PD's began at Y or 51 reg followed by 150PD's.

They now have replaced the range with 100pd's, 130pd's and 150pd's.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote: posted by youngdriver on 03/11/2004 21:53:15

I am looking to buy a 115pd golf 5dr. Ive been looking around but i can only find GT TDI 115. Is there any regular 115pd available? Also what year did the PD engines come out in the golf?

What insurnace grp is a GTTDI 115 and a regular 115? IS there a big difference? What extra stuff does the GT have?

Group 10 insurance on a GT TDi (115)

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
There was only one spec of 115PD but you could choose either a 5 or 6 speed box. Later on they dropped the 5 speed box.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Also were there two silvers available? Ive seen regular golfs in dull silver and ive seen a few R32's and anniversary models in a much shinier silver.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive found out that there were a 5speed and 6 speed gearbox. Is there a big difference between the 2 in terms of performance and economy?

·
Registered
874 Posts
According to the official VW price list from 2001, the only Golf hatch available with the 115 engine is the GT TDI (with 5 or 6spd option).

You can get the 115 in lower spec if you go for an estate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, so the 6spd was an option.

Also the 115pd is quite abit more expensive than a 110. Is it worth to pay extra for the pd engine?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote: posted by youngdriver on 04/11/2004 12:56:57

Also the 115pd is quite abit more expensive than a 110. Is it worth to pay extra for the pd engine?

Strangely I think the 5 speed was the option with 6 speed std.

Yes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, are all 115bhp badged GTTDI on the boot? This is because ive seen so many 2001 115 GTTDI's for sale but on the road ive seen lots of 2001 golfs and they are only badged TDI. Onle a few are actually badged GTTDI.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes the 115PD is much better than the 110, I've had both and the way the power comes in on the PD is much better.

6 speeders have better gear ratios and of course it's much more economical on dual carriageways/motorways in 6th gear.

Reflex silver was available before 2000 and then they changed it for Satin thereafter or summat like that (perhaps someone else can confirm this?)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quote: posted by youngdriver on 04/11/2004 12:56:57

Sorry, my post didn't read quite right. I meant you have the option of 5 or 6 speed, but Paul is right the 6 speed was the default choice. Why anyone would specify the 5 speed I dont know.

I think you'd be better to go for the 115 if you can afford one. All except the earliest 115's are the '01/02 model year which has Avus II alloys, crystal side repeaters, standard CD etc.

The stain silver was the first silver (with a bluey/yellowey tint depending on the light), and around the time the 115 was introduced they changed it to the brighter reflex silver. Not sure whether you can get 115's in satin or not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts