Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mk4 for 13 years
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen this quote posted in another forum:-

"The PD lump can be knackered by 130K. This is due to bore wear caused by injectors wiping the oil off the bore by squiting, rather than sparaying"

130K???? Anyone else heard of this short PD diesel engines life?

Would it be a case of just replacing injectors if they are a problem at around that age then the engine is sorted again?? Surely it cant be dead at arount 130,000 miles.

Im not criticising the guys post because it was part of a reply to a question relating to performance. It is the first time I have heard rumour of this short life for such an excellent engine.

Anyones views please?? Hopefully folk who have ran them to much higher mileage and tell me its not necessarily the case!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
if the engine is cared for properly I don't see why it shouldn't last much longer than that.

I take it he means the injectors get dirty and don't work properly. Surely you could run some treatments thru the tank every so often.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nah, that can't be true. If this was the case VW would recommend changing the injectors before then. Oh, they do! Every 60k miles. :eek:)

If this was the case it would be the same for all diesel engines and i've known some cars with over 300k on the clock (Taxi's etc).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
He's not talking about the injectors wearing out, he's talking about the cylinder bores/piston rings wearing, due to the high pressure squirts of diesel from the 20Kbar PD pump washing the oil away. Shouldn't be much oil up ther anyway, and what there is would be burnt away by fuel combustion. May be some errosion from the diesel spray itself, but this whole thing sounds like speculation to me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I can't see vw selling a car that has an engine thats shot by 130k, it would cost em a fortune with all the pps that take out the extended warranty.

Plus u would probably of heard of it happening by now, there are a lot of PD engines out there in cars that the reps have and they do huge mileages a year!!

Don't forget its fitted in to Audi's and the rest of the VAG family! Thats a hell of a lot of engines!!

From the techy side, the top of the cylinder should nearly always be free of oil, thats wot all the oil rings are for on the piston! You'll get wear if the rings are shot and there's fuel passing the rings, but you'll have been producing really blue clouds and lost a lot of oil by that time.

I did hear a while ago about the cylinder heads failing due to some sort of wear, but that didn't make sense either.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Does sound suspicious.

I think the only thing that could posssibly happen with the fuel is that the actual bore wall and piston crown could wear away due to the fuel being under such high pressure. But, i'm sure that would have been considered anyway. Thinking more, the spray patten would be of a mist and not a direct squirt so it's really quite unlikely. Also by it's own nature diesel is a light lubricant (heavy oil) so bore wash as ocurrs in a petrol.... well er can't.

In fact having thought a bit more, if anything, a PD should outlive a standard diesel and here are my thoughts :-

1, There is not a complex pump and timing arrangement to go wrong as on a normal diesel.

2, The added torque means less need to rev as high = longer life (jabba'd / revo'd excepted here of course)

3, The fueling / timing can be much more tightly controlled on the PD than other diesels which should lead to the engine running within safe 'limits' compared to a normal diesel.

However things are not all good, problems I can foresee that will send PD's to the breakers in years to come are (and they are not all engine related) are (note most of these are 'do-able' as a fix but would be un-economical in my opinion when the cars are old) :-

1, The turbo with it's integral variable nozzle system will be very expensive to replace if it fails.

2, The EGR system lets loads of goo build up in the inlet tract, have any of you taken off your intercooler hoses and seen how much 'residue' is in there ? I think this could be a cause of nozzle failure in 1, above ?

3, The goo in 2, above could cause, in time, the intercooler to clog ?

4, The unit injectors, god knows how much to replace and at this time there doesn't seem to be any DIY info on fitting these.

5, Timing Belt... snaps and engine is dead ! Again little or no info for DIY.

6, Airbags. minor shunt and airbag goes off, hundreds of pounds to replace. And if they are fitted they must funtion for MOT.

7, Other electronic components, same as airbags, cost loads and therefore would be un-economical.

8, Coolant cavitation. Heard a lot on this, basically what happens is that due to the pressure waves within the block / head as the engine is operating, air bubbles form from the coolant in certain hotspots in the engine, these bubbles are super-sonic in speed and can quickly errode metal. A real but little known problem, but do a websearch on it, you'll be horrified. Cure is to change your coolant and not just leave the G12 in for 'life' as VW say....

Generally though, like anything I reckon the PD should be just as durable as any other engine if not more so, you just have to take care of it. Again some more thoughts on maintenance :-

1, Change oil every 5000 miles without fail. Even though oil can go 10,000 or 20,000+ (in long life). In a diesel part of the oils job is to hold in suspension the soot particals from the piston blow-by gases (hence black oil). Now I don't care what anyone else thinks, but i'd rather dump the oil and get rid of all that scratchy soot before it gets a chance to really build up. I am aware that the oil itself is still fine and will not break down as old oils did, it's just I don't want soot scratching away.

2, EGR gases, i'm looking to turn my EGR down (via vag-com when I can work out how) as far as possible to stop the goo and would even consider a way of loosing it altogether so long as I could ensure that all the crankcase gases are purged.

3, Possibly looking at cleaning / washing out the intercooler at say every 20,000 miles. That goo that I imagine sitting in the bottom of the intercooler really does bother me and if the amount of goo that was sitting in the top intercooler hose is anything to go by, there will be loads. I'm going to keep an eye on it for now but would seriously consider washing it it out at 100,000 miles (i'm currently at just over 80k.

4, Fuel filter / Air filter. Change every 10k.

Other than that, there is not a lot else to do except keep an eye on your brake linings....

I do about 30k a year and have covered a little over 10k so far in my PD 115. So as I plan to keep the car for 3 years + , i'll be looking AND expecting to do upwards of 160,000 miles. AND i'm sure it will. P.S. I've done this with my two previous cars, both Fords, sold them both with 150k+ on the clock and still going strong, maintained by me, using the service intervals as above. The Golf is a much higher quality piece of kit and i'm sure it'll have no problems at all....

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Forgot the timing Belt.....

Very important, VW say 60k on my PD, i've always err'd on the side of caution and halved the manurfacturers interval. I've always been able to do my own belt changes, but not so sure on the PD and having noted that VW want about ?500 to do it gives me a little problem. Sure you can get it done cheaper but would still be costly. Above anything else this I think could lead to PD failures if it isn't done, and as the cars get older, i'm sure it won't.... not at ?500 a time...

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Forgot the timing Belt.....

Very important, VW say 60k on my PD, i've always err'd on the side of caution and halved the manurfacturers interval. I've always been able to do my own belt changes, but not so sure on the PD and having noted that VW want about ?500 to do it gives me a little problem. Sure you can get it done cheaper but would still be costly. Above anything else this I think could lead to PD failures if it isn't done, and as the cars get older, i'm sure it won't.... not at ?500 a time...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cambelts on all new engines are a big job because they snake through a lot more pulleys.

It's a big job but not ?500 worth!

I got a specilaist to do my last one at a cost of ?300 including tensioner.

It's also worth noting that you should change the water pump at anything over 60K since the plastic impellers don't last too long, it makes sense to do this when the cambelt is done at that mileage.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Ooops, double posted there, sorry about that.

I agree, when i've done belt changes (don't know about VW) you can buy a kit with new pullies tensioner etc. Water pump and coolant change also a very good idea. I couldn't agree more with you Peakz.

The price for belt change was on the wall in my local VW dealers, think it was really around ?480 (ish) but still expensive.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Whos had a hire van recently?? anyone take a note of the mileage on it?? I had an iveco the other month and it had 250k on the clock!! (51 plate) and boy could it shift!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote: posted by vrooooom on 19/10/2004 15:51:43

Whos had a hire van recently?? anyone take a note of the mileage on it?? I had an iveco the other month and it had 250k on the clock!! (51 plate) and boy could it shift!!

This is true ford Transit diesels generally run forever.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Diesls have a reputaion to live long.

London taxi cabs are known to do 600K plus before sold onto India.

Changing the Oil is the Key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm running a TDI 130, 60,000 miles just bought it and it's great.

I also work for a Ford dealer, as we know the Ford Galaxys have PD engines and if the cambelt goes it breaks the injectors, unfortunatly its ?500 for each injector so that ?2000 on top of the price of a new engine. As for Transits going on forever, the new 2 litre TDCI engines in the Transits, Mondeos etc don't sound particuly healthy at 50,000 and god do they have problems. The new Focus will be amazing for the spec but it'll be like other Fords (Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts