Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a cold start i.e. when the car has been standing overnight, how many miles of gentle driving should it take before the temp gauge hits the half way mark (90 deg)?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I dont get on the motorway then it can take forever driving through
30 zones, I've done a 15 mile trip and its never made it to 90!

When I first got my car it was taking ages to get to 90 so I took it
back to vw and they told my to take it on the motorway as after a mile
or two at 70 it should be up to normal temperature, if not then the
sensor is faulty as mine was.

Wasnt expensive to fix

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
between 4 and 6 miles depends on traffic, warms up fast though when you get on the motorway
I agree with this post. I also try to keep the revs below 2K before its heated up, quite easy with the tall gearing.

The Mk V has an electric heater for the heater matrix - I look forward to when I upgrade to a Mk V!!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Anything up to 15 mins. ie Ages. If you want quick interior heating, then put on the Climatronic. That could also warm up the engine a bit quicker owing to the air-con pump being used, right? [:S]

~ Maxie

·
Registered
524 Posts
ages !! When mines cold I sit at junctions reving to try and warm it up quicker !!

It's a 'mare pulling out onto busy roads when cold too !! Too few revs and it almost stalls and is so sluggish as you accelerate and if you rev it too much you find yourself jumping straight across the road !! Its a case of balancing the clutch.

Once warm mine flies though! [:)]

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I first got my car it was taking ages to get to 90 so I took it back to vw and they told my to take it on the motorway as after a mile or two at 70 it should be up to normal temperature, if not then the sensor is faulty as mine was.

Wasnt expensive to fix
Which sensor was faulty??

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
When I first got my car it was taking ages to get to 90 so I took it back to vw and they told my to take it on the motorway as after a mile or two at 70 it should be up to normal temperature, if not then the sensor is faulty as mine was.

Wasnt expensive to fix
Which sensor was faulty??
I change the temp sender recently - its about 25 quid make sure u also get a new gasket with it. Its a little harder on my TDi 'cos of the turbo pipes etc. Having said that its very easy to do. Search on here loads of how to's about it - I'll only add I lost half of my coolant (some posts claim to lost minimal coolant but have to to hand just incase Halfords do a ready mixed 'Red' coolant that meets VW TL... spec). Also the 'fixed' sender is green not black

·
Registered
824 Posts
This morning it took around 30 mins to get fully warm at motorway speeds,but the outside temp was apparently -3.5at 5.30am

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have timed this from leaving work after a night shift -1 temp outside, I will not go over 2,500 rpm until it gets to 90 degrees and it took 8 minutes at 50-60 mph

·
Registered
53 Posts
Less than 2k on the rev counter and u know thats easy with re mapped versions with all the torque...and 3 miles/8 mins approx.Far less than 15 mins even at -20 in munich last winter...and i mean you just dont see -10 often in the uk let alone -20

so maybe theres a nother factor Sem?

·
Registered
54 Posts
temp up at 90 by about 5-8 miles but plenty of warm air coming through after 4 miles..............wish i had headed seats though!!!

BB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts