Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The majority of engine and exhaust mods that we see are done to petrol cars, so i was wondering what the rest of you TDI people have done? I had a list of stuff for future purchase which went something like Carbonio intake, Forge FMIC, Milltek downpipe & cat back and a Re-map. Just curious if anyone has these and what do you think of them.

M

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a full blueflame exhaust & de-cat, dastek uni-chip (about to be remapped) and i've just bought a carbonio kit off ebay (not fitted it yet tho). the exhaust made a much bigger difference than i thought - really freed it up and killed turbo lag. The unichip isn't set up properly yet, but i've been impressed with the power it's given already.

just go for it, you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Chipped uk remap to 178bhp 316'lbs most bangs per buck you ever get

Milltek big bore down pipe and discreet system ordered, so will post opinions in a couple of weeks

Will probably be looking at FMIC next

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
The majority of engine and exhaust mods that we see are done to petrol cars, so i was wondering what the rest of you TDI people have done? I had a list of stuff for future purchase which went something like Carbonio intake, Forge FMIC, Milltek downpipe & cat back and a Re-map. Just curious if anyone has these and what do you think of them.

M
Carbonio is the biggest waste of money on a turbo car ever. Makes a noise and that's it. FMIC is better suited to a bigger turbo and a lot more hp but you can get very good ones which will help with heat soak and would help to hold boost on a stock turbo. The way to do it is to get smallish piping so you don't introduce turbo lag. You don't have any lag as it is but a massive FMIC and piping would cause a lag.

Exhaust does nothing for a TDI unless you remove the cat and then you get a slightly better throttle response and spool up but other than that it's only for noise. If you're pushing about 200bhp+ you'll get a little help from an exhaust.

If you want that info relayed by hundreds of other people, try tdiclub.com. That's where you'll find the real info and all kinds of extensively tested methods for making power on a TDI. But to get any decent power it means spending a lot of money. Later this year I have a few things in the pipeline including a turbo upgrade. Nothing too extreme but I'd rather do things right from the base up than just get a remap.

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you think i should forget those and go for a turbo upgrade instead? and then maybe a FMIC. Which turbo would you recommend and how much would we be talking about?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Honestly I think just a remap may give you the power you want.

It's up to you as to how much power you want to buy. A full turbo system can cost about ?800+ (a cheap one) and then you'll need new injectors, a new intake manifold and a remap to make it work with your ECU so you'd need to budget about 2K+.at least.

Where as you could just go for injectors and a remap and you'll get your car to about 175bhp. Is that enough? It takes an incredible amount of work and money to get up to around 200. You could ask Micky32 as he has his golf at about 220bhp as far as I can remember. Fairly good chance with that much you'd need a stage 2 or 3 clutch and an LSD. So whack on another grand for those. The list goes on and on. How much power are you aiming for?

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
170 mark sounds good, and the ?2.5k mark seems reasonable when you subtract what i would have wasted on the other stuff. So i should on the look out for injectors and a remap

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Here's the site for the best injectors. I think they end up being about ?200 for the injectors. (thought they were more)

www.KermaTDI.com They do all sorts of tuning parts including turbos and FMICs but in a lot of the cases you have to pay for the item and send your stock part as well. It's a costly enough job.

And for a remap I'd say you should either go to Dave Wishart at Torque Tronix up here near ballymena (His Golf TDI has a completely rebuild engine with a hybrid turbo and is about 265bhp) or chipped UK or something like that. Basically anywhere that can do a custom remap.

I'd definitely recommend taking a look at TDIclub.com as a pile of the guys on there has bought injectors from Kerma. I'll probably be getting a set myself sometime soon.

Baz

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
And don't forget the extra for brakes[;)]
He's right you know. My VR6 is 175 and the 280mm brakes on it are barely enough.

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yes the brakes[au] lol

I have already been pointed in the direction of Torque Tronix so i will be paying him a visit soon.[:D]

Is it the VNT-17 turbo i'm looking for and the PD race injectors? or am in the wrong sections?

Will also begin to dig in TDIClub, some of the veteran's on there sen to have the CAI, FMIC, Exhaust upgrades, bu they seen to be after the essentials are completed

Cheers for all the advice Baz[:D]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Ah yes the brakes[au] lol

I have already been pointed in the direction of Torque Tronix so i will be paying him a visit soon.[:D]

Is it the VNT-17 turbo i'm looking for and the PD race injectors? or am in the wrong sections?

Will also begin to dig in TDIClub, some of the veteran's on there sen to have the CAI, FMIC, Exhaust upgrades, bu they seen to be after the essentials are completed

Cheers for all the advice Baz[:D]
So you are going for a turbo upgrade? The VNT 17 is the stock turbo from a PD150 - so remember you'll need the mounting gear for it as well and the intake manifold as it won't just bolt onto your car. Just thinking - if your car is PD which I think it might be -the injectors would be ?230 for the stage 1 injectors as they call it. They are actually the stock injectors from a 130/150 engine. The race ones are a bit dearer but you might need to be pushing a good few horses to get the use out of them. I think they were about ?450. Even with the VNT 17, intake manifold, injectors and remap you'll be looking at close to 2K.

Dave can remap your car to about 160 - 165 without the need for either turbo upgrade or injectors so it might be worth just phoning him and having a chat first. He's been there and got the T Shirt so he'll be able to advise you better.

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Class[:O][:D]

Will contact him next week hopefully, pity i have to wait till April to actually get it done, Quinn dont allow BHP increasing mods[:(]

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Don't think many (if any at all) insurance companies do.

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
huh? i though Greenlight did, as i asked for a quote with the CAI, FMIC and exhaust and they said they were ok, Quinn wouldn't allow then as they made the car faster, supposidly.

Hmm, back to the drawing board

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
huh? i though Greenlight did, as i asked for a quote with the CAI, FMIC and exhaust and they said they were ok, Quinn wouldn't allow then as they made the car faster, supposidly.

Hmm, back to the drawing board
Maybe they knew that these mods aren't adding anything though. Whole different story with a remap or turbo.

Baz

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
poo. So what you guys on here doing?[;)]

What is: EGT fitting size $50.00

I need to put a figure in the box to the right, but don't know what to put?

I have put the injectors, adaptor kits and turbogaskets into the cart on KermaTDI, with the VNT-17 and it comes to around $1700 without postage. I suppose the real costs will be for me to sen him my old stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd agree with the Carbonio comments - slightly sharper throttle response is the only improvement it's made (but i payed a lot less than ?200, so i'm not too bothered, but i certainly wouldn't recommend buying one new on performance grounds, and it's a [email protected] to fit)

Disagree about the exhaust though! I've had full systems fitted to cars before and this is the single biggest improvement i've ever got from an exhaust. Turbo spools up faster and it revs noticably freer, and pulls slightly harder - i was mega impressed with it. Other people who've driven the car before and after have even noticed the difference. As for noise, when i'm at in it, i honestly cannot tell it from stock, as the engine drowns it out, which is presicely what i wanted - it's never gonna sound good [:D]

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how are you handling the re-map and insurance? This has got me worried, my insurance is high enough, being 21, with 1 years no claims in my own name but 2 years as a named driver, and living in Northern Ireland

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
poo. So what you guys on here doing?[;)]

What is: EGT fitting size $50.00

I need to put a figure in the box to the right, but don't know what to put?

I have put the injectors, adaptor kits and turbogaskets into the cart on KermaTDI, with the VNT-17 and it comes to around $1700 without postage. I suppose the real costs will be for me to sen him my old stuff.
EGT is a sensor on the exhaust - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor. Don't forget you'll get hit with a nice customs bill as well as the P+P. Then as you say the cost of sending your stuff over and then the remap to make it all work. And by the way - the PD 150 aka the turbo and injectors your ordering goes hand in hand with a front mounted intercoole as well. It'll be down to the guy doing the remapping to tell you if the car will suffer from heatsoak.

As for the exhaust - a downpipe will help more than the exhaust itself as that's where the bottleneck in most systems are. It might help you spool quicker and get better reponse but when you put it on a dyno and test it I'll guarantee it's adding 2bhp at the very most on an accurate dyno. I know people who have built engines over 200bhp and are using the stock exhaust because a bigger exhaust was loosing them pressure from the turbo and skimming a few hp of the total.

Baz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts