Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
385 miles outta first tank in tha tdi se. [:O]

i know i have a heavy right foot, but damn! i really hope it picks up! -big time. how long does it take for these tdi's to loosen up?

left behind a few passats last night! [^]

oh and a 307 cc driver was trying ever so hard to keep up, left him way behind -not a bad looking car though, was kitted up in black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
whoah [:O][:O] only just picked up my MkV GT TDI last friday and already got that mileage out of her with another 250 to go!!! You aint got a heavy foot more like solid lead!! [:D]

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah have been trying to ease off the pedal lately. have to see if i can get at least 500 miles a tank outta her.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Businessboy - just out of interest what brand of diesel are you using. Fuel consumption on my tdi recently was averaging 420 miles out of a tank (esso). Recently switched back to shell extra 89.9p a litre[:O] but after 3 fill ups my cars averaging around 550 miles to a tank. Also performance is noticeably better and smokes a lot less.

BTW I would expect your tdi to start loosing a little at around 1000 especially considering your heavy right foot![;)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have nearly 9K on mine and never have had more than 450 miles out of her. Think I saw late 300s in the first tank alright.

How many miles you got on it?

One way I look at it rather than how much to a tank is that ?30 will get me in terms of miles what ?50 got me in the Golf GTI.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
um, i filled it up at my local sainsburys. didnt know the type of diesel had much of an effect. - will try out that shell extra soon!

dont have any black smoke. well i have noticied any when i've been flooring. was behind a E320 cdi then decided to flash him to get outta tha way, as he was hogging the lane at 65mph. dropped down to fourth as i knew he'd use kickdown... there was soo much smoke! and he didnt even get that far ahead!

anyways, lol. yeah 385 was my first tankful, think the milage is on 610 now and i have just under half a tank left. so set to get around 420-430ish i reckon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My brand new V GT TDi 140 still feels quite tight and I am getting about between 46-47 MPG.

Old IV GT TDi 115 got a steady 49 MPG.

My fathers Bora SPORT Tdi 110 gets about between 50-51 MPG.

At the moment running on Sainsburys Diesel

[8D]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had my tdi se a good week now, 1st tankful 490 miles just over 40mpg, second tank looking the same way. Thats with a roof rack and ladders on as well. I was hoping for mid forties though, will this get better as my engine loosens up does anyone know?

Its still better than my old 1600 focus though Id be lucky to get 35mpg.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
well, i've just used my first full tank and got about 360 out of it [:D]. Which is only 30 more than i udes to get out of my 1.8 petrol focus. I also used the shell diesel plus.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
360! thats apalling!

i got 415 now. hopefully it'l keep getting better. - i dont want to start driving like a granny.

think i have a lead foot as i've been dring 1.4 golfs for many years!!!

got to properly test the handling around some backstreets in london! fantastic! nearly as neat as the e-class.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That wasnt until I ran out of fuel, that was until the light came on telling me to fill up. According to the MFD, I had about another 30 miles left.

Im definately trying to lighten up on it. I think some of it is getting used to driving a diesel. Im not used to pullin 1k revs and still actually moving forward so I tend to keep it in fourth gear round town, where as i could probably get into 5th for some of it.

But I have been 'exploiting the engine' so to speak.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Couple of things to recent petrol converts

FIRSTLY think of it like this you surf the tidal wave of torque rather than try to rowthe boat with the gearstick[:D]

In simply terms you change UP to go faster in a modern Turbodiesel[??]

SECONDLY I have found that surprisingly cruise control does your fuel economy NO favours at all as it has to accelerate and brake to keep a steady pace up inclines.

[^]

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it all depends how you drive it and if you are round town or sitting on motorways.

I have the 2.0 GT TDI and it now has 2,500 on it. The two trip computers I configure as follows:

Programme 1) This is what I use between filling the tank up. I reset it each time.

Programme 2) I have not touched this since I took delivery of the car.

60% of my driving is round town, 40% on longer drives. Overall I see 43 MPG (programme 2). A couple of weeks ago I took the car to Ireland and put 1100 miles on her in 8 days. Sitting on the motorway at 70mph with cruise control on it hit 53 MPG.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think i use cruise control too much! that mainly what i use for speeding and slowing down on motorways which 80% of my driving is on. the car picks up alot of mpg when going downhil then suffers to 20ish getting up hill. cruise control buttom pressd up to accelerate goes down to 10 mpg! arghhh think that applies full acceleration! i've come to the conclusion that cruise is killing my mpg! my missions to atleast get 500 outter her!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've had 62MPG on mine on a motorway too but I hardly ever use motorways for that long.

Wish I could even get 500 miles out of her! Maybe someday....!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The comments about the cruise control are great. You are quite correct when the cruise accelerates the car it just boots it. When going downhill on my mk 4 I think the cruise did slow the car down, according to the mk 5 handbook this is not the case ie the car will gain speed. I have yet to prove/disprove this.

My mk 4 would never do less than 45 mpg and usually read 52 mpg on the mfa on a tankfull. I could nearly get 600 miles between fill ups. The mk 5 is looking a bit shakey at present but I have noticed when using the real time consumption its better at 80 mph (oops) than the mk4 but around town (where the mk 4 was great) it very low around 20!!!. I will know better when I am back in work doing my regular run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ours is averaging 425miles to the tank, only has 2500 on the clock!

Mind you it has been driven hard by all of us, including main dealers.

Danny :)

Volkswagen Golf V 2.0 TDI Oettinger

·
Registered
591 Posts
The cruise control does not slow the vehicle down by applying the brakes but it will slow the vehicle down purely by reducing use of the accelerator - otherwise known as engine braking. I've found it's only really steep hills (too severe that you wouldn't normally expect to see on motorways) that the cruise control cannot limit the speed. Any kind of cruise control would have a hard time regulating speed on non-dual-carriageway kind of roads and would probably use much more fuel because of its relatively course accelerator adjustments.

I do over 400 miles per week on motorways doing 70mph and overall I'm averaging 53mpg - well capable of exceeding 600miles per tankful. Checkout http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/vwgolfmk5mpg.php

Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

1 - 20 of 45 Posts