Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help required!!

Mk4 GTTDI 115 PD with revo upgrade to 150 bhp i seem to have really huge flatspots when accelerating in the lower gears, seems to start with loads of boost then tails off as if it was starving of fuel / air then back on again towards the end. Ive drove a friends 130 which is alot nicer to drive and feels great throughout the rev range and all gears. Its really annoying as when you come to overtake you take off quick but then crawl through the mid range.

Any help Guys/Gals????

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Sounds like the MAF to me.
Baz

·
Registered
308 Posts
can you rev drive past 3.000 rpm!!

If you can't its you maf try giving it a good clean with electrical contact clean'r from halfords first before

you buy one from ebay!!

joolstdi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Guys

yeah it will go past 3000 it seems to fly upto 2200 - 2500 rpm then die for about 500 rpm then go upto 4000 no problem, before dying off again ( i know its because its a diesel) i often find it does it when on the motorway in 6th you go to accelerate and nothin happens then it kicks up only to die pretty much straight away and you get the impression there loads left in it as if your towing a truck or summat??

Stu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers

Sorry didn't know someone had one so similar, may sound stupid but where is the MAF sensor and how do you go about cleaning it?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I unscrew the MAF out and i give it a good spray with servisol contact cleaner, i do this from time to time and i have 120k and the Maf stilll seems ok! However yours may be gone too far to work with the spray...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I used to clean my MAF with servisol cleaner every 5k miles and thought it was fine but I bought a new one in an attempt to fix another problem.....the difference was huge and the car pulled so much better.

I have a friend that works at an Audi stealer who does all my servicing.....he advised not to clean the MAF using any sort of cleaner as it strips off a special protective coating on the 'hot wire'.

Is this true?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I used to clean my MAF with servisol cleaner every 5k miles and thought it was fine but I bought a new one in an attempt to fix another problem.....the difference was huge and the car pulled so much better.

I have a friend that works at an Audi stealer who does all my servicing.....he advised not to clean the MAF using any sort of cleaner as it strips off a special protective coating on the 'hot wire'.

Is this true?
Its hard to know, but ive always used it and with 120k it gave over 200bhp on the rollers the last time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Cheers

Sorry didn't know someone had one so similar, ..."
won t you consider.. to change "nick"...
the first "Reflex TDI".. (James) is a "Super user" in the uk-mkivs... and to avoid mixing people ...

I?m not a Moderator or Forum Admin... but a friend of James, and a lot of persons even beeing silence, I?m almost sure that they feel the same.

regards, fLAVIO

ps: before buying a new MAF sensor... try to clean it as it was said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help with the maf issue

Unfortunatly i can't change my user name so i do appologise if ive upset anyone (unless anyone else can help?). I did try to do this as soon as i realised someone had a similar username as not to confuse people but you can't according to the faq's and also when ive tried to go into the settings/my profile you cant do anything there.

Sorry again to anyone i may have pi**ed off.

Regards

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You certainly haven't upset me [:)]. I'd have changed the name long ago for something more snazzy if I could too - who'd have known nearly 4 years ago that I'd spend so much time on here, and not have a silver car any more [:$]

·
Registered
990 Posts
For a moment there I thought James had sold his anni for a 115[;)]

I have heard of a few 115's with this problem. It seems that when remapped "holes" appear in the torque curve.

A friend of mine with a 115 swapped over the turbo, maf, inlet manifold and N75 valve, from a 130 and his car now produces 190bhp (with a remap of course). RichardW did the maf and N75 valve with very promising results.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cheers Guys

yeah it will go past 3000 it seems to fly upto 2200 - 2500 rpm then die for about 500 rpm then go upto 4000 no problem, before dying off again ( i know its because its a diesel) i often find it does it when on the motorway in 6th you go to accelerate and nothin happens then it kicks up only to die pretty much straight away and you get the impression there loads left in it as if your towing a truck or summat??

Stu
Slipping clutch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah it aint that, gonna have to get a new maf shortly and see if that helps......

Got dusted from the lights by a 1.3 Hyundai Accent the other day well embarrasing!!!!!!!!!!!

To top it off it was a woman aged 50+.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had a similar fault after remap, so changed the MAF twice as I thought the 1st might still be faulty and then had a reset of the ECU by a reputable garage. But still when I accelerate hard in 4th 5th 6th revs go ok until about 2200 but then the revs shoot to about 3000 the car follows shortly after but not immediately. I have now installed a cotton green air filter and it appears to be a little better. A couple of garages reckon it?s clutch slip but I?m hoping it?s not.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Just wondered if ReflexTDI has had a chance to change your MAF and if the sorted the fault??

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm afraid this sounds like clutch slip. I had this all winter until last Monday when amazingly, (pause for effect)... VW replaced my clutch under warrenty after 2 years ownership.

The car now pulls and wheel spins like it did when new, and fuel economy has improved. If this happens again I will not be happy but will have to replace the clutch at Jabba for a sport variation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say MPG improved how much by as I did not know a clutch problem could cuase this. I get an average of 43mpg (470 till the light comes on) to the tank on a good week and 40mpg on a bad. I'm just worried that I'll go to the cost of replacing the clutch and it won't be that. If I don't push it to hard it does not do it every time so I might get a bit longer while I decide what to do next.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts