Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have been thinking of installing a boost guage in my 115 TDI not just for looks but to try and ride "off boost" in traffic.

I dont know where to start I have looked at the many different threads on this but there are so many different views on this subject

What Boost guages would you recommend for my car? I want to try to get one theat looks oem.

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I went for a good gauge it doesn't look totally OEM but it goes to 2.5BAR which helps me with the boost I am running. If I was that bothered I would fit a blue bulb in it [:)]

http://www.raceparts.co.uk/ it cost £22 I think and does a very good job - the 42 Draft pod cost a ridiculous £85 IIRC!

I don't think you'll get a lot of benefit from your proposed use of the gauge - just use less throttle if that's your concern! I use it to check the maximum boost and try and make sure I'm not getting boost leaks. I don't watch it all the time as I try and keep my eyes on the road!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Demon Tweeks do about 100 different gauges for rally cars in their performance catalogue. Massive s election of styles and colours.

Baz

·
Registered
137 Posts
you can get a pod which replaces one of the air vents, this might be useful if you want to keep it low key

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
There's actually 2 ways of doing that. One is the ready built gauge that you can buy that sits out of the vents or if you want to be really subtle you can do what some people have done and take the fit out and fit it in behind and put the grills back on partially hiding the gauge.

Baz

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baz do you know of any links that will show a picture of t his mod? I have tried searching but couldnt find anything.

Andy

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I saw it a long time ago.

Best thing to do would be to search on the vortex. A few guys there have done it.

Baz

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
i am looking to get one of these babys too!!

not too sure about the one that goes on the vent - perhaps one which goes on the A pillar

·
Registered
861 Posts
I bought the vent/guage from swgmotorsport and while it looks well and fits well it sometimes sticks around 2/3 psi, it needs a tap to make it fall back down to zero. I have emailed him and ive been waiting over 3 months for a replacement guage :(

he says he will send a replacement when they arrive from the usa.

going to email him again now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys , We manufacture this vent pod and housing for the mk4 Golf
(as seen above) and have been offering this unique item for sale for
sometime now. Unfortunately our US supplier of the gauges has been out
of stock of the blue LED boost gauge what seems like forever ! (hence
the delay in replacing Bob's) I have been onto them on a weekly basis
and they are telling me new stock should be with them at the end of the
month !

I know we have quite a few of you guys waiting on these
gauges and as soon as we have them I will let you know so we can
process your orders, thanks for your patience on this and we hope to
get things moving asap.

P.S the pod and housing is available seperately without the gauge if you want to use your own.

Any questions please feel free to drop me an email.

Cheers

Steve

www.swgmotorsport.com

·
Registered
861 Posts
Cheers Steve for the fast reply. im looking forward to getting the guage sorted as its defo a good mod for the golf. very oem.

i know someone will ask this on here but can you make the vent guage in the style of the bora vent ? ive a mate who wants the vent guage but he has changed his vents to the bora style.

i know there are quite a few members on here who would be interested.

bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
With regards to the Bora vent pod , I have one at work that I'm
working on , the problem with the Bora vent is its size , the slatted
piece is barely big enough to house the 52mm diameter of the gauge !

Also
what would be the preference on its look , vent open or vent closed, I
ask this because the Bora /32 vent mechanism is different to the std
Golf vent and it won't be possible to make it adjustable .

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts