Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above hear many differing ideas, would save me a fortune if the answer was yes but dont want to screw the engine in the process!

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Veg oil, no. It's too thick and it destroys the injectors as they try to force a more viscous liquid through the nozzles than they're designed to cope with.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Properly made biodiesel - YES

Veg oil - NO

An old merc diesel runs on almost anything, not the PD

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
No chance in hell on a PD engine

My Landcruiser can run on anything ! But you will need a heater in the winter and to filter it well first and mix in some diesel etc . You then need a good supply of diesel filters .

years ago you could get the oil for free , now many restaurants sell it to companies that filter it and sell as cheap cooking oil etc and for making DIY fuel

you get a quiter engine and a lot more power ! But the smell is a little too much. Make sure you have Aircon !

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
someone was also mixing it in with diesel and not having problems. but its not a question of whether it will run its how long it will last. i thought about it in my old non pd engine but its not worth the problems.

how cheap can you get it? would it warrent a new set of injectors?

danny

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Modern diesels will not run with it. The pump is the main issue not the injectors etc

best bet is old mercs and pugs etc . Anything made before 2000 is ideal

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Modern diesels will not run with it. The pump is the main issue not the injectors etc

Each individual injector is a pump (Pumpe Duse) mate. They run fuel in at low pressure and then charge it up to near 30000psi for injection. Put veg oil through them and they just burst all the seals out. The Tandem delivery pump should cope with the veg oil a lot longer than the injectors will manage.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts

Each individual injector is a pump (Pumpe Duse) mate. They run fuel in at low pressure and then charge it up to near 30000psi for injection. Put veg oil through them and they just burst all the seals out. The Tandem delivery pump should cope with the veg oil a lot longer than the injectors will manage.
what i meant is all modern diesels will not run with it for the reason your state . But some of the older ones still will not run as the pump type they use hates it. I think the "lucas" ones are the bad ones?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, this is a no then, dont fancy replacing injectors just to save a few quid on fuel. Like has already been mentioned my mate had an old A4 TDI which he ran on 100% veg oil and he traded it in the other week with 270,000 on the clock lol!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
PD engines wont like pure veg oil from what i've read.

I have the older non-PD engine and i've put a tank or so of veg oil through it and it ran alright. Not sure how it'd do if i ran it on veg all the time.

Didn't like starting from cold, but ran alright!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
do not try pure oil. A good mix in the summer is 70 % oil and 30 Diesel

In the winter 50/50 or fit a inline heater ! Cold days the filter etc clogs up badly

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to have citroen xantia 1.9 D Turbo with a boshe fuel pump and it would run on 100% pure veg oil with no problems what so ever. I basically ran on pure veg oil straight from the supermarket shelf for over a year non-stop and the only issues I ever encountered was starting from cold in the depths of winter and even then you could get it started by continuously cranking the starter for as long as it took to kick the car to life.

I also found out during that time that running on veg oil is not all its cracked up to be and not worth it in the long run.

When I started diesel was about 85p to 90p per litre and 1 litre of rape seed was about 45p to 50p so it was worth it. In the space of that year veg oil went from 50p to over £1 per litre and that's why I stopped it and scrapped the old Xantia. I read somewhere that government ordered the price of veg oil to be increased due to so many people using it in there motors and causing them to loose out on all that tax. Veg oils now well over £1 per litre so I cant see it being worth it at all!

Its defiantly not something to put into a PD 150 mate!

1. you get at least a third less MPG using veg
2. It's a hell of a lot of hassle going and buying an entire shelf full of 1 to 3 litre bottles then pouring them all into your tank 1 at a time.
3. Supermarkets often don't allow you to buy as much as you like
4. The price of veg oil has sky rocketed over the last few years and makes it no longer worthwhile.
5. Probably some long term damage to injectors/ pump even on engines that can handle it.
6. Your entire car stinks of a dirty chip shop for weeks even after using 1 tank of veg oil!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
you buy the oil from takeaway restaurants etc . Filter it to get the bits out etc . Then mix it with some petrol and diesel etc .

so many mixes etc on google

was costing me less than 20p a litre . Just change filters every 3k miles or sooner

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all i have only just joined this group and havent filled out my bio yet but i have a gttdi pd130 and i have been running it on 80% diesel and 20% waste hydraulic oil filtered to 1 micron. As yet i have had no problems whatsoever other than my variable nozzle turbo sticking causing turbo lag but im not sure if it has anything to do with running it on the oil or not and a short high speed run raises the exhaust gas temperature enough to burn off any deposits and sorts it out for a while. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in running on hydraulic oil. I know that pds are supposed to be intollorant of veg oil but i think a 20% mix of any oil seems to cause no issues. I have ran this ratio all through the winter and it allways started the instant i turned the key!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts