Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I have a 1999 golf gt tdi 110, it has full service history well maintained etc

You jump in the car and start driving, runs sweet as a nut pulls really well, After about 20 mins of driving the engine becomes really hesistant and starts cutting out until eventually after 2 or 3 mins it will die completely. Then it will take around 5 mins before it will start after cranking it for anout 5 seconds.

I have also notice when slowing down to a juntion you put the clutch in and the engine in spluttering but as soon as you stop moving it runs fine again.

I have fitted a new fuel filter and have tried a new relay 109 as i thought it could be that but i still have the problem.

Has this happened to anyone else? i cant for the life of me figure this out

cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Could be coolant temp sensor? Although I'm not sure if that would cause it to cut out completely[:cool:]

Try fitting the green vw one (revised part) as the older designs were often faulty.

Not too expensive to get that done if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Definatly not the coolant sensor, that would cause minor poor starting and excessive fuel consumption.
With an engine stalling and no code stored I would put it down to either fuel delivery or an electrical problem causing the ecu to shut down before any fault can be recorded.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That is wierd. I'd hazard a guess at fuel starvation. You changed the fuel filter right? I'd have a look at your fuel lines to your injectors and then check your injector loom. Faulty injector looms don't throw CEL's so Thats where I'd be looking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to add its slow to start when the engine is hot, but starts up straight away when the engine is cold.

Also when the engine starts cutting out if you pull over straight away before it gets a chance to cut out completely it will sit and idle fine and rev up fine.

I have'nt checked the egr valve but i will do a search and give that a go.

It is like fuel starvation because when driving and it starts cutting out if i pull over it will idle fine but it has a new fuel filter and i cant understand why its about the same amount of driving everytime.

A mate suggested i tried the fuel cap, if it wasnt letting the tank breathe it would create a vaccum which would cause this problem, i will give that a go aswell.

Thanks for all the comments so far

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Have a good look over all the wiring and fusebox near the battery, it could be a lose earth etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had very similar problems in my 115. Sorted when i changed fuel lines and coupling(common problem apparently) which goes onto the fuel filter. i am no mechanic so maybe someone else could shed more light on the issue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bit of a update, i checked to see if it had thrown any codes again and i had a code for the maf and fuel pump. I have changed the maf and its alot better but its still cutting out after about 45 mins of normal driving. last time it cut out i had been driving for about 40 mins and when i looked at the temp guage it was only showing 1 quarter? could this be a faulty temp sensor or is there a seperate sensor for the instrument panel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It cut out again today and wouldnt start for about 10 mins, i checked the fault codes and found this :(

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-018-AGR.LBL
Controller: 038 906 018 BM
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 2115
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 00028
VCID: 62B7298BFD41
1 Fault Found:
17656 - Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation
P1248 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

·
Registered
179 Posts
Taken from ross tech wiki. Did this problem start after your last cam belt change? If not i'd be looking at the fuel pump getting that cleaned and checking the injector loom.

Possible Causes

• Start of Injection Timing Regulation not OK
  • Injection Pump Control Range blocked/dirty (e.g. by Metal Particles)
  • Engine has stalled / ran out of Fuel recently
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Injection Valve (N108) faulty

Possible Solutions

• Check/Adjust Injection Start. See TDI Timing Checker
  • Check Fuel Supply
  • Check/Replace Fuse(s)
  • Check/Repair Wiring/Connectors from/to Injection Valve (N108)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It had a cambelt about two years ago. Is it a big job removing the pump to clean it out?

I hope this isnt going to get exspensive as im unemployed as of yesterday:(

·
Registered
431 Posts
The "spluttering" that you describe when coasting to a stop sounds like a dodgy flywheel ( I had the same problem ) if that is the case, you'll probably notice that reverse is lumpy - especially up hill. Try reversing up a grass hill if it feels jumpy then most likely the flywheel from experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts