Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those aluminium tax disk holders and over summer during the high temperatures it just fell away from the screen and the sticky pads just don't work.

So I was thinking to fix it (using velcro let's say) to the dashboard lower left corner. Is this legal?

Any traffic wardens or coppers care to comment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes you think that tax disks should have chips in them, like credit cards. In fact, abolish car tax altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Quote: posted by scarum on 14/02/2005 11:09:13

Makes you think that tax disks should have chips in them, like credit cards. In fact, abolish car tax altogether.

Here here, and if we really must display a tax disc we should also display an insurance disc like in Ireland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 14/02/2005 11:11:27we should also display an insurance disc like in Ireland

I think that would be a great idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 14/02/2005 11:04:45

I believe that it must always be stuck to the lower left corner on the windscreen.

If it's stuck on the dash for example, those roadside tax cameras won't be able to read ur tax disc, so they'd pull u over straight away!

Sorry for one post after another.

I thought the tax cameras worked purely on reg number and compared it to the database at the end of the day to work it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RichieDan Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 11:28:43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: posted by Gti Fly on 14/02/2005 11:04:45

I believe that it must always be stuck to the lower left corner on the windscreen.

If it's stuck on the dash for example, those roadside tax cameras won't be able to read ur tax disc, so they'd pull u over straight away!

Sorry for one post after another.

I thought the tax cameras worked purely on reg number and compared it to the database at the end of the day to work it out.

Come to think of it, must be one high res camera to pick out all that information, and to interpret the postofficers terrible handwriting [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,109 Posts
Quote: posted by scarum on 14/02/2005 11:02:07

I have one of those aluminium tax disk holders and over summer during the high temperatures it just fell away from the screen and the sticky pads just don't work.

High temperatures??? Where do you live mate, we haven't had any high temperatures in the UK for a while have we!!! lol [;)]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RJH Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 11:37:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: posted by scarum on 14/02/2005 11:02:07

I have one of those aluminium tax disk holders and over summer during the high temperatures it just fell away from the screen and the sticky pads just don't work.

High temperatures??? Where do you live mate, we haven't had any high temperatures in the UK for a while have we!!! lol

I call anything above 10o C high!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Quote : You must display this disc on the left-hand side of the vehicle's windscreen.

Hmm, thats interesting, surely on the dash is still on the left hand side of the vehicles windscreen.

My last car nothing ever stuck to the bloody screen so I just had bit of blutack under the disc holder on the dash. Never had a problem.

You know what you do to annoy traffic wardens when parking up, park on the wrong side of the road so they have to walk in to the traffic! lol

The phrase I believe that you can get done for is failing to display road licence. Just cos its not on the screen itself, does not mean its not being displayed, but I still wonder how the cameras can pick out the fine detail, especially as some of them are on top of bridges on dual carriageways etc, have to be a very high speed camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
I can confirm from speaking to a police officer, that tax disc cameras DO NOT read or even look for the actual Tax Disc. They are simply collecting all the registration numbers of cars that pass by them during the day then cross reference these with a database of untaxed cars. This is to see if anyone who has not retaxed or has SORN'd their car is driving it on the road.

by the way I have an alloy tax disc holder and it is just stuck to the dash with a sticky pad in the bottom left of the widscreen. not on the glass. this is in line with my 'nothing stuck to any glass' policy! I hate stuff like Dealership stickers, MOT stickers, Next service stickers etc!! they make your car look cluttered. I have never been pulled for not having the disc stuck to the window cos it is still clearly visible when the car is parked etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 14/02/2005 11:11:27

Here here, and if we really must display a tax disc we should also display an insurance disc like in Ireland

Now that IS a good idea, get all those non-insured scum off the road before they cause anyone grief.

Tim B - does that mean you wouldn't even have a UK-MKIVS sticker [:O]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,190 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 14/02/2005 11:11:27

Quote: posted by scarum on 14/02/2005 11:09:13

Makes you think that tax disks should have chips in them, like credit cards. In fact, abolish car tax altogether.

Here here, and if we really must display a tax disc we should also display an insurance disc like in Ireland

but you need insurance to get tax.......so its unwritten that if you have tax, you have MOT and insurance.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
LOL @ Benn!

Of course I would display a UK-MKIVS with pride!... If I had one!

I think I could happily live with one at the bottom of each rear quarter window!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top