Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting one of the alloy type tax disk holders. What are peoples opinions on these, are they "max power" or not. Which ones would people recommend and where's the best place to get them?
Cheers
D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi there,

Richbrook is a main manufacturer of alloy tax disk holder. Check out http://www.richbrook.co.uk/

I have one with GTI on the back. Very fiddly to get the damn tax disk in and you can easily loose of the the tiny bolts down your air system on the dash!! Best to use to tape prior to putting it back on.

Richbrook now have a new range of 'twist on' versions which look to be much more easy to fit and maintain.

Best place to pick one up is probably Ebay, just do a search for golf tax disk holder and you will find loads.

Freeglide :?)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Richbrook for me as well - not chavy at all. I agree though - the little allen bolts are a bit of a pain to unscrew, but then again you only have to do it once or twice a year.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Definitely chavvy / max power!

Try a magnatax (magnetic surprisingly enough) from halfords dead easy to use, looks good and not OTT.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think they're tasteful enough. They look ok! [Y] Just don't over do it with the cheap mods - too much can make you look like a chav whos ram-raided ripspeed / motorworld!

For example; threads entitled "Re: Blue LED Washer Jets!" or "Re:Motorsport Windscreen Vinyl" are asking for a slating!! [:p]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers folks. I'll have a look on the bay. Have to buy 2 as we get another disc to display when the car has passed it's MOT.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Mine looks really cool - not chavvy at all - just a vw logo on
it. I have lost 2 allen keys down the front of the car though!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
IMO they are far too Chav...! I always use the ones that you get free with your insurance, i just cut off the top bit with all the crap on, it sucks enough having to display the disk in the first place let alone having a shiney metal tax disk holder in your window..........

·
Registered
266 Posts
Im not too keen on the whole alloy holders either, although the personalised one sounds good. I got a plain white holder from the post office when i got my disk.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
nothing wrong with the alloy ones, not 'chav' IMO, miles better than a scruffy bit of plastic, which is what the car had when I bought it !!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I dont think they look chavvy at all in the right colour.

I have bought one with 'GTi 25th Anniversary No.0664' etched into it, to replicate the badge on the fuse box cover. The etch is only very subtle and think it will look great (not got it yet!)

Will post a few pics when I get it if anybody is interested,

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with alloy one either, definately better that the dealer thing that was stuck in there in the first place.

I personally went for one to the new richbrook twist types in black alloy with the laser engrave .:R symbol.

Posted Image

Normally the symbol doesn't look that bright and is normally a sort of grey colour but the flash on the camera has really made it white

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Don't mind the black alloy ones but the silver ones are IMO a bit 'chav' - I've got a magnetax like someone else mentioned, always used these, they're very discreet

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've got one of the Richbrook ones with the .:R logo engraved on the back. I think the silver ones look nice, but any other colour is chavvy. my silver one goes well with my silver beesting aerial.

The only downside to it is that I put it a bit too lown down and the dash gets in the way when I try and change the tax disc resulting in me losing a couple od screws down the edge of the dash....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I kept my dealer tax disc holder until well after it was cracked, peeling and looking totally naff, one of my mates insisted I get an alloy tax disc holder but I was concerned about it looking Max Power. Spent ages looking at different alloy ones, nearly found a good one with the VW logo on the back, but on closer inspection the logo was very slightly wonky. So instead I got a new style Richbrook holder with real carbon fibre back. So it's just like a ring, doesn't look as "heavy" or "too much metal for holding a tiny bit of paper syndrome" from behind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 18 of 18 Posts