Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On start up and running my MK4 AGU 1.8T sounds like a old MK2 GTI with noisy tappets. Its like this and doesnt stop until you turn off the engine. I drove it for a good 25+mins and the sound was still loud as hell. Sounds noisy and I think its the tappets

Oil level is fine.

What could it be ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Does it sound like it comes from the left hand side of the engine bay?
If so, then thats just the charcol filter working away and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it sound like it comes from the left hand side of the engine bay?
If so, then thats just the charcol filter working away and nothing to worry about.
No I can't pin-point the sound it's really loud though. I can take a good 30 steps away form the car when engine is running and still hear the tappets as clear as day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I have had the oil pressure "STOP" light come on. It's now sat at the stealership awaiting diagnostics and a inspection. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right, it's been in the Stealers for 2-days now, they did a oil pressure check which showed the engine has very low pressure. They said the big ends are starting to also knock.

They are checking the oil pump and strainer and taking the sump off.

Fingers crossed but not holding much hope. The car has done 127,000 and been a dream until now.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
feel for you mate, mine went into the stealers and diagnosed with a similar problem there quote to fix came to ....................?3300 all in to supply and fit recon short engine and new flywheel.

If you need any parts let us know as I have a spare bottom end and my workmate travels back and forth to Reading every 4 days

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mate, yeah it for ?52 something for diagnostics and ?250 inc vat to take apart the sump and find out what damage has been done to the engine. Just hope the shells haven't broken inside the engine. I will keep all posted. Worst come to the worst I will sell the car for spares or repair as I can't afford a repair bill over ?1.5k. [:'(]

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If you do let us know [:p] sounds like what i paid ?300 to diagnose and investigate, then the repair bill was huge, you might be lucky though. iirc the recon short block is 1200 plus about 1000 labour

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi mate,

Sorry to hear the news,to be honest I am cock sure its your oil pump, this is a common fault as far as I am concerned. Unless you have been running the engine on Smartprice oil or you have missed the odd service or two its doubtful if its a sludge problem.

I too had the same problem (108K ish I think), I stopped driving it as soon soon a the pressure light came which was accompanied by the sound of the tappets, (you don't get any warning) a new pump (not over ?200) and 15k miles on and shes running as smooth as the day it was driven out of the VW showroom. Engine is now much quieter than it was at 30k!!!

If you can help it I would take your car to an independent garage and get the pump changed at an agreed price (if it is the pump). To be honest nearly all garages (back street included) these days have the facility to 'diagnostic' cars, at a much cheaper price and in many cases for free, so long as you let them fix it. You will have the ability to barter with a garage (even compare price) once VW come back to you with the cause and price.

Over time I'm sure more and more VAG engines will suffer this problem as the hit the high miles.

Good luck mate, really feel for you, fingures crossed for you as well with regard to any damage, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your kind words guys. I have only just bought my 1st house this month as well so it's the last thing I need. I guess these things happen always at the wrong time. (is there a right time lol ).

Mind you GT1UK, I did suspect the oil pump as thinking about it now, a week before the STOP light came on and the tappets made the awful sound on start up the front right of the engine made this weird loud zingy sound for about 4-5 mins kind of like a nackered power steering pump sound. hummmmmm I am goign to call the stealership today as I asked them not to change anything without my consent. I will keep all updated. Doing a few searches on fourms in the USA it does seem as you mentioned to be a fault that is starting to appear on 1.8T's and a few 1.8 20v non-turbo's also especially on engines with "higher" millage.

Oh well, thats car's for you. Fingers crossed, I want my dub back running well again[:$]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GT1UK, I did some searching on this forurm and saw your post on the Oil pump problem etc. I see the part should be around ?75-?90 ish. Is it a hard job to fit ? How much would VAG charge ? Thanks buddy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, just had the call from the Stealership. ?300 inc vat for engine striping and diagnostic and ?213 inc vat for oil change and new oil pump fitment and it's ready to be picked up. ?513 inc vat total bill. Expensive but cheaper than a new engine or re-build.

I guess I was very lucky to catch the symptoms so early.

All, be careful as a few forum members and also the dealership said they are seeing a few MK4 1.8 20v engines turbo and non-turbo have oil pump failures on older and on engines with higher mileage. We all know what damage can be caused if oil doesn't circulate the engine.!!

Thanks to all that posted on this subject. (Boratom, GT1UK and all)
Right, time to go and collect my baby.
James

·
Registered
190 Posts
I cant belive people are so oblivious to warnings, even the simplest of car owners should know to stop the engine 1st second the oil pressure warning comes on!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Jeeeez.. this is slightly worrying me now. So, basically there could be a potential weakness on the oil pump on the earlier Mk4's on a higher mileage. Just a little worried as mine is a 98 agu on 70.5k. The symptoms are noisy tappets and then later on the oil light comes on ? I'll be keeping an eye out for this ! [:S]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello Mate, Well me and GT1UK have both had this issue with lucky escapes, Ridgeway in Reading my local dealership also said it's happened on a few 1.8 20v engines both turbo and non-turbo. The other local dealership in Newbury also mentioned this and I know the Service Advisor as we used to go to college together many moons ago and trust him.

I must say as GT1UK mentioned my engine is so much quieter now then it was months before the failure. Car is now running a dream and happy with the lucky escape.

TBH, I didn't have much warning apart from the "Stop" oil light etc and within seconds the tappets sounded very noisy. Good job I stopped the car.

I wouldn't like to say it's a genuine fault on the part possibly a mixture of things but I would say have a read of this......

link below.

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000050.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts