Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a smell of Diesel form my car and also had a bit of a slow starting problem ie turning over more than yu would expect first thing in the morning and then lumpy running for 30 secs or so. Had a proper look today for the first time and it seems to be coming from the bottom of the Tandem pump. It's quite difficult to see around all the pipes etc in this area but the area of engine block just above where the engine and bellhousing meet is very wet with fuel and whenever i dry it off within a few secs more fuel runs down over it. I have done a search on the site here and although it doesn't seem to be a common problem a few people have experienced it and there was also a recall but on newer cars than mine (2000 AJM ).

Does anyone have any info on the job, is it a replacement job or can it be repaired? Can it be repaired on the car or will it need to come off and if so how easy is this to do? I read in one post it may just be the gasket but I would have thought that if there was a leak inside the pump replacing the gasket would not necessarily be the answer. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wallace[:D]

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
It seems to be a common problem this. Mine does it also and eventualy it caused a coolant hose below it to perish and burst. It has been doing it more or less since new, at the moment i haven't fixed the issue.

·
Registered
920 Posts
can you just repalce the outer gasket?

i have a prob with mine starting like lack of fuel, just wondered if this could be the cause?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The simple answer is No, is is not your normal gasket and they don't sell the part separately you have to buy the pump and unless it's changed since I did mine you can't buy it anywhere but from VW. have a look on the TDIclub site as they were quite keen to find sources for pumps/parts and may have been sucessful since I was on. Most of the pumps are made by LUK who only seem to deal with VW. The seal in without doubt the problem as the new pump we bought has a modified version, I couldn't see how it was better but it certainly was different and it hasn't leaked yet. The old pump had a recessed grove about 3mm deep and a rubber/silicone seal about 5-6mm deep which was moulded to fit the exact shape. The TDI club people weretalking about trying to re-seal theirs due to the cost (about ?350 I think) but I would worry you may close off an oil/fuel gallery and make matters worse, again they may have come up with some kind of system since then though. I tried contacting LUK but they just ignored me, one of the American guys told me he spoke to an LUK rep and he tried to get him a pump but was advised he couldn't supply it to the public, he tried to get drawings for the pump to see if someone could repair/remanufacture it but no luck, he said if he had managed the drawings would have been posted straight up on the site LOL. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
A friend who is a VW mechanic has cured this problem on a few pumps. He told me he makes up a gasket from some type of gasket paper( heard the name but cant remember) and it cured the leaks. He is doing mine tomorrow so i will give an update if it works.

·
Registered
861 Posts
i opened the bonnet this morning when i started the car and noticed the tandem pump dripping a fair bit [:mad:]

when the car warms up it stops altogether.

as some of you know i have had a first start problem for a year now and ive already changed the tandem pump (bought one on ebay)

so it seems this pump leaks also. maybe this is causing my starting problem.

i have read that vw have recalled pd's for this very problem.

Campaign Number: 04V586000 Date: 2004-Dec-15

Component: Fuel System, Diesel
Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE HIGH PRESSURE DIESEL PUMPS WERE PRODUCED WITH AN IMPROPER FASTENER, WHICH COULD ALLOW DIESEL FUEL TO ESCAPE FROM THE PUMP.
Consequence Summary: FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE MAY LEAD TO A FIRE.
Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DIESEL PUMP. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 8, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE /><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'3',true,16,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_injection onmousedown="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,2,'3',true,16,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=softomate_highlight_3 onmouseover="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'3',true,16,'');" title="Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +18008228987" onclick="javascript:doRunCMD('call','3',null,0);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,0,'3',true,16,'');" durex="0" context="1-800-822-8987" IamRTL="0"><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'3',1,1,16);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_imgA onmousedown="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'3',2,1,16);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=skype_tb_droppart_3 onmouseover="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'3',1,1,16);" title="Skype actions" style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\18ec7742fdda2ad4cdfd1daa2d0aad46\static\inactive_a.compat.flex.w16.gif)" onclick="javascript:skype_tb_SwitchDrop(this,'3','sms=0');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'3',0,1,16);"><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgFlag id=skype_tb_img_f3 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\18ec7742fdda2ad4cdfd1daa2d0aad46\static\famfamfam/US.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgS id=skype_tb_img_s3 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\18ec7742fdda2ad4cdfd1daa2d0aad46\static\inactive_s.compat.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_injectionIn id=skype_tb_text3 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\18ec7742fdda2ad4cdfd1daa2d0aad46\static\inactive_m.compat.gif)"><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_innerText id=skype_tb_innerText3>1-800-822-8987</SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgR id=skype_tb_img_r3 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\Users\bob\AppData\Local\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\18ec7742fdda2ad4cdfd1daa2d0aad46\static\inactive_r.compat.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN>.

is there any point speaking to vw about this problem. ??

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on the age of your car and if it was included in the recall. I am suspecting you wouldn't be asking if it was you would be knocking VW's door though rather than asking. I have no experience of negotiating with VW but loads of others have on her and can probably chip in. What I would say is that the new pump we bought had a completely different sealing system to th original. If your one from E-Bay didn't have this then maybe thet's the problem. In the US some people have had some sucess re-sealing pumps but I asked specifically about the product they used and it wasn't recommended for the purpose it was being used for so for me despite the price the only proper solution, much as I hate to admit it is a genuine VW replacement pump. Hope this helps, if I can find them I can probably do you pics of the 2 pumps so you can see the difference. Wallace.

·
Registered
861 Posts
excellent

i phoned a decent vw dealer and managed to persuade them to order me 2 of the new type metal seals. parts should be with me next wednesday.

so it seems you can get the parts on their own.

thanks to wallace for all his posts in various forums leading me to getting this part [}]

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No probs, I knew all along someone would come up with a fix sooner or later, if I could have done it myself i would have but at the time ther was nothing much else i could do other than pay the money to VW, them's the breaks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
excellent

i phoned a decent vw dealer and managed to persuade them to order me 2 of the new type metal seals. parts should be with me next wednesday.

so it seems you can get the parts on their own.

thanks to wallace for all his posts in various forums leading me to getting this part [}]

Hi Bob do you happen to know the part number of the gasket to order through VW?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts