Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, still new to all this, only bought my Golf 1.8T 3 months ago and going great. I was thinking of taking the wheels off to clean a few things up, back of the alloys, wheel arches etc. Taking the wheels off is fine, but when I come to put them back on, I've heard about getting the correct tension on the wheel nuts, 120nm etc? Is this correct? How can I check I'm tightening the wheel nuts enough, and dont want to overtighten them. I dont want the wheels to come off (obviously) and dont want to cause any damage?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Mate,

Best bet is nip down to halfrauds and pick yourself up a torque wrench, only about ?10 - ?15 and if you plan on doing some DIY on your car it will come in handy for that too.

HTH

Carl

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
To tighten to wheel bolts you will need a torque wrench set to the specific torque for the bolts , when you get to the correct tightness the wrench clicks to warn you not to tighten anymore. I wouldnt recommend tightening them with a normal bar, undertight them and your bolts will come lose, over tightened bolts can shear, distort hub, stretch bolts etc.

Its also good practice to mark the wheel in relation to the hub so when you put it back on, its back exactly where it was, can prevent getting any nasty unbalanced wheel wobbles etc...

If you are going to be using a jack make sure you check up on the correct jacking points, theres nothing worse than caving a sil in.

Good luck! [Y]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Carl,

Thanks very much thats great. Thought it might be something like that, will get one soon. Bit of a pain trying to fiddle around the back of the wheels with them still on!

Andy

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hi Mate.

Best bet is nip down to halfrauds and pick yourself up a torque wrench, only about ?10 - ?15 and if you plan on doing some DIY on your car it will come in handy for that too.

HTH

Carl
Gheesh i have never seen a torque wrench that cheap, my old halfrauds 3/8" torque wrench was ?49 (with calibration cert ) For road wheels you will need a 1/2" wrench...which is alot bigger!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the advice also Trollgeddon, I'll make sure I do it all correctly.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Mate.

HTH

Carl
Gheesh i have never seen a torque wrench that cheap, my old halfrauds 3/8" torque wrench was ?49 (with calibration cert ) For road wheels you will need a 1/2" wrench...which is alot bigger!
Was a year or so ago, or maybe I got the "Brother Discount"[;)] as he worked there at the time, well someone had too.

Carl

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?50 ish?! I'd better get saving then. Its not the most urgent of jobs, just one of those things to add the finishing touches. Only had my car about 3 months, still plenty to learn and do yet!! But your help/advice is greatly appreciated, thanks mate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For most alloy wheels (including Mk4 Golfs) you need to tighten them up to 110 NM.

Argos do a 1/2" drive torque wrench for about ?15, IIRC. (I don't think it came with a 'calibration certificate', though!)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Lol. - You learn summit every day! [:$]

Tomorrow - I'll be mostly taking my wheels off and re-fitting them with the correct bolt torque!!

You see - OR you could save yourself 50 notes and wing it like I appear to have done!!!! lol (only kidding - do it right mate!!!!)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It's 120 Nm, not 110 - check the manual.

The Halfords wrench you need for wheel bolts is the larger 1/2" drive, goes up to 300 Nm and is ?59. I'd get both the 3/8" (up to 60 Nm) and 1/2" if you plan to do any reasonable amount of work on the car yourself.

Also when putting the bolts back in, tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, not going around in a circle. Finally, check the torque again after no more than 100 miles.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice and help. Will go to Halfords and take a look at the 1/2" wrench for ?59. Would rather do it right first time than mess it up and cause problems. Dont fancy going down the M4 at 70 mph (as if I'd speed) and a wheel to come loose.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
?59!!! [:^)] Why not get the ?14.99 1/2" drive one from Argos? It even comes with a 3/8" adaptor!

Look here >>>> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7013887.htm
I guess cos it's not calibrated or doesn't come with a certificate and the ratchet is probably cheaper. But for use once in a while, then I reckon it's a bargain !

I got one from a mate who works for screwfix for ?8.. that was including staff discount though ! [:D]

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's 120 Nm, not 110 - check the manual.

The Halfords wrench you need for wheel bolts is the larger 1/2" drive, goes up to 300 Nm and is ?59. I'd get both the 3/8" (up to 60 Nm) and 1/2" if you plan to do any reasonable amount of work on the car yourself.

Also when putting the bolts back in, tighten them in a criss-cross pattern, not going around in a circle. Finally, check the torque again after no more than 100 miles.
I stand corrected. I actually meant 120NM :whistle

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
what guide / manual do you use........ is there one online somewhere for all cars/wheel tyoes? thanks

Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts