Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'lo all!
My mind is made up that I am going to trade my VX220 Turbo in and get a s/h (6-12 months old) Candy White GTi, but....... what options should I look out for as 'must have for re-sale', what shall I look out for as 'nice to haves but not essential for resale' and lastly 'waste of time not worth the money!'?
I know that I can't be too choosy considering I want Candy white and there aren't that many around, but your opinions will be much appreciated. :)
CheersKevin

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome !

As you said if you are going for Candy White it will be a case of what they were originally specced with by the original owner.

If you are already looking on to resale in the future I suspect the only things that may affect what a dealer might pay you would be a 'bit' extra for leather or OEM Sat.Nav.

I suspect a Candy White car would more than likely already have 18" wheels making it a bit more attractive come resale assuming they are not kerbed. ( some say difficult /costly to refurb.- have not confirmed this ).

I think any of the options would be nice to have but none I feel are essential as the car is great IMO even in standard spec.

The only thing I would say ' is a waste of time not worth the money ' would be Telephone prep.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thaks for the advice so far guys, just the kind of opinions i'm after! Keep it coming. :)
p.s. do i get an award for the longest 'lurker'? lol
Cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thaks for the advice so far guys, just the kind of opinions i'm after! Keep it coming. :)
Cheers
did you used to have a silver lhd tt roadster with baseball interior a few years ago? if so do you remeber my username from the tt forum?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers
did you used to have a silver lhd tt roadster with baseball interior a few years ago? if so do you remeber my username from the tt forum?
Tis me yep (I remember your username too I think), the TT went a long time ago though. Here is my car history since:
SOLD 99(T) Audi TT 225 Coupe, November 2000-May 2002SOLD 00(W) Audi TT 225 Roadster, May 2002-April 2004SOLD 01(51) Honda S2000, April 2004-August 2005SOLD 05(05) TVR T350 Targa, August 2005-May 2006CURRENT 04(04) Vauxhall VX220 Turbo, May 2006>
P.S. Apart from the DSG and no sunroof, it looks like you have got my perfect Candy too!!! :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cheers
I did wonder how you could 'lurk' for nearly three years without being tempted to post somewhere on uk-mkivs !

Wouldn't have been very welcoming to mention in reply to your very first post though.[:D]

·
Registered
178 Posts
yep ive got a candy white and originally wanted a second hand one but gave up cos there were none about except for silly money and just ordered a brand new one.

as far as the options go i feel most stuff you can live without but on a white one id defo want cloth interior as the leather is naff imo and dosent go with the white, also 18's are a must unless your gonna go 19's at some point and other than those id want bi-xenons because they just finish the car off nicely and are awesome if you drive at night alot. dsg is personal preference but more people seem to spec it now than not, at least on the forums anyhow. im still getting used to my dsg but i think im already a convert especially as its a daily driver, it just gives you so many options for bad traffic etc and then when you want to blast it the paddles are ace.

block

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
yep ive got a candy white and originally wanted a second hand one but gave up cos there were none about except for silly money and just ordered a brand new one.
Err yes - with this colour its not so much a question of what options to go for as "what is around and available". Even if you are going for a popular colour like black and want certain options there are still only a few available. Try looking for a black 3-door DSG with Winter pack and armrest for example. Good luck anyway (and welcome to this forum of course).

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OK - there are eight white GTI on the VW used car database. Three of these are DSG, a couple have no extras at all. One or two have 18" alloys and none I can see have a sunroof. Cheapest is £16,995 (funny number plate on it - is it from Ireland maybe?) and the car with the  lowest mileage (just 10 - its brand new) is at £19,995 from the Harrogate dealer and has armrest and 18" alloys. Only a grand off but its available today. Personally I would not look at anything over £20k for a used GTI unless it had every conceivable gadget. Fact is most used Golfs floating around the dealers just do not have high spec levels.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK - there are eight white GTI on the VW used car database. Three of these are DSG, a couple have no extras at all. One or two have 18" alloys and none I can see have a sunroof. Cheapest is £16,995 (funny number plate on it - is it from Ireland maybe?) and the car with the lowest mileage (just 10 - its brand new) is at £19,995 from the Harrogate dealer and has armrest and 18" alloys. Only a grand off but its available today. Personally I would not look at anything over £20k for a used GTI unless it had every conceivable gadget. Fact is most used Golfs floating around the dealers just do not have high spec levels.
Thanks Mark. I agree about the price, so I have set my sights on around the £18k mark. Like you say, there are a few options there, and I have spoken to the dealers abtou the cars. What seems to be lacking though is the Winter Pack and Xenons. Looks like I might have to sacrafice them though unless something else appears over the next 2 weeks. [:(]

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you go for leather and xenons then you won't really need the winter pack, the only item you will be missing out on are the heated washer jets. The seat heaters are standard with the leather and the washer jets are standard with the xenons. It terms of what to look for, i'd go for xenons and 18's, although you can pick up replicas from companies like wheelbase or even off ebay. I'd also make sure you get the arm rest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you considered buying an import? This would give you the opportunity to spec the car up to a level that you are happy with, and you would be the first owner. Also it would probably come in on budget! Best of both worlds maybe?? [:)]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
'lo all!
My mind is made up that I am going to trade my VX220 Turbo in and get a s/h (6-12 months old) Candy White GTi, but....... what options should I look out for as 'must have for re-sale', what shall I look out for as 'nice to haves but not essential for resale' and lastly 'waste of time not worth the money!'?
I know that I can't be too choosy considering I want Candy white and there aren't that many around, but your opinions will be much appreciated. :)
CheersKevin
As members will know, I wouldn't be looking for a Candy White GTi, unless it was the last of its' kind on this planet. Would much rather go for other colours but of course it's a very personal thing.

I would have guessed that a car in Candy White might be difficult to shift for a dealer but I could be wrong. Other useful options might compensate but would not swing things for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you considered buying an import? This would give you the opportunity to spec the car up to a level that you are happy with, and you would be the first owner. Also it would probably come in on budget! Best of both worlds maybe?? [:)]
My TT coupe was an import and I had nothing but hassle from dealers. From refusing to service it to refusing to do any warranty work. Is this still the case?
If not then i'll consider it. Any good imports I should check out?
[:)]

·
Registered
46 Posts
My GTI is an import and I can say that I have had no problems whatsoever from my local dealer. I did check with them whether they would have any problems with servicing / carring out warranty work, and at the same prices as UK cars before I purchased the car. They said that there would be no problem at all and they have stuck by this. Since purchasing the car I have had to have a few bits done under warranty - one of which was a new steering rack. They didn't even bat an eyelid! They treat the car exactly the same as if it were one they had sold to me. I think that block exemption won't allow them to increase the prices of servicing / carrying out repairs to imported cars now.

As long as you are going to keep the car for a few years and are realistic about the future value of the car an import is a great buy. I'd buy an imported Golf again no question. [Y]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Cheers for that KM.

Some of those dealer prices make your eyes water, the fully specced one at £27k is a peach. The car is six months old. If you put the spec in to drivethedeal for a brand new car - it comes out at the same price!

The Bristol car was the best one I think, heated seats and CD changer, armrest at below £20k. Still, at £19,995 its hard to see it as good value for money for a mainstream 18 month old hatch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts