Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right i have a mk4 golf 3 door black now i want the tailgate smooting badge handle and lock anybody know anywhere good around shropshire are please :)

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
'place in trafford park does it he welds it and grinds it back flush 2 not like most cowboy jobs with filler etc ill grab his number for you 2moz'

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
Mine was done entirely by a cowboy-me.No welding and only off the shelf body filler,and now three years later and still no cracks.I've seen so called "professionally" smoothed and welded tailgates that have cracked after just a few months.Do the prep work properly and you can outdo the professionals.

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
[quote user="Imagewerx"]

Mine was done entirely by a cowboy-me.No welding and only off the shelf body filler,and now three years later and still no cracks.I've seen so called "professionally" smoothed and welded tailgates that have cracked after just a few months.Do the prep work properly and you can outdo the professionals.

[/quote] yh my whole cars done like that
i see what you did there
still welded up properly it is far better than filler etc not daring slam the boot

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
if you can get it welded upproperly for the same price its a no brainer specially if its being done right this guy charges about 40pound he even done a boot extention from scratch looked mint ill try get pics

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
When I fitted my sprung Beetle latch I had to slam the tailgate so hard because I couldn't get it to adjust properly it's a miracle the window didn't break.The filler never cracked though,in fact all my smoothing on the metal bodywork was done with epoxy resin,which all the "experts" (a term I use VERY loosely) told me would crack and fall out within a few weeks.So here we are 3 years later and and would you believe still no cracks
!

·
vaglife
1,727 Posts
mines sweet you wouldnt know its not welded but i still would of got it welded if id got it done myself the sides are probably done the same aswell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.