Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[:mad:]

What is it with people, have they no taste. Flashing multi coloured lights and reindeer around the garden and roof. thats not christmasy!

Blackpool lights come twice a year now![+o(]

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yea i know what you mean jambo my missus is tryin her hardest bless her but i am fightin it, where abouts in buckley you from not seen much of you on here im from broughton down the road

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I hate this too but alas, I have one of those houses across the street that does this. As soon as December 1st comes his light are up .[:mad:] Grrrr.. I might post some pics of it tonight ( although i hoped that the gales would have blown them down last night )

Jay

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red-Jeffers

I dont come on the lounge much, but im on the mkiv dicussion board quite a bit. think i might have seen you out and about, im always in broughton as i pass though there on the way to the gym in saltney, do you live on that new estate between the two round abouts, opposite aerospace. sure ive seen you car drive by when ive been sat at the lights there.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i though maybe with all this global warming and energy saving going on to help slow the process of global warming we wouldn't see so many 'santa's grotto's' this year.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah them houses are too small for the price you pay i live by the shops in the village not seen your car about yet
definatly seen you drive past me though remember the wheels on the car, well if you see a black 3dr 4motion flashing you, its me.[:D]

·
Registered
990 Posts
On Friday a good few people on my street put up their lights and other stuff, it's like a competition to see who can put their's up first. It was the same on bonfire night, every one out to beat the other with their fireworks.

Keeping up with the Jones, pmsl.

Xmas is a joke nowadays, take away the commercial aspect (ie spending money for no reason) and what is it really? Nobody gives a toss about what it actually stands for anymore. I'm fed up already seeing all the ads to make you spend, spend and spend again.

We should spare a thought for those who are less fortunate instead of wasting money on trivial things. I personally would rather donate money to those who need it, instead of buying stuff for people just because you have to.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
dc, question is would anyone give a toss if the commercial aspect disappears, who knows?

I have to admit, I'm ASTOUNDED by my area this year. I've not seen one "OBSCENE" house, with more likes than bricks. NONE of the nieghbours have put their lights up yet. In fact, it's all very dull.

I'm hoping it picks up in the next week - which is kinda when I used to remember (when thinsg were more "normal" lol!) the buzz started. Hopefully not everyone's given up, and has decided to emigrate for Christmas.

Has anyone else noticed the opposite this year? Nobody's done jack all yet?? [:S]

C

·
Registered
586 Posts
Okay, may get shot down here, but I like it, its not to my taste but and I wouldn't do it to my own house but each to their own. I think its great for kids. There are a few houses round my way that go all out and everyone knows what ones it is and people take their kids by it or drive past it on the way home for a look / laugh but its Christmas, why not?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
we need to get some pictures up here, i hate it as much as the rest of you but you gotta admit, you love driving past these houses

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Right I'm going to take the reindeer by the antlers here and kick off another Griswald Spotting thread [:D]

What is Griswald spotting I hear you cry? Ok, the name comes from the Grizwalds, of National Lampoon's fame. Remember the film National Lampoons Christmas Vacation? The scene in particular when Clark Griswald fires up his newly installed Christmas lights on the house, and the US National grid goes bezerk - thats what we're aiming for - or rather, evidence of, in the form of pictures or video.

I took this picture about two years ago of a house in Liverpool but it gives you an idea of what I'm getting at [:D]

Who else is in?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tabs,

Thats a belter of a starter picture, nice one.

think we are gonna get some corkers in the next week, will try and sneak some shots of some local amusements too[:D]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive found the culprit, bloody GMTV! they're holding a "find the best decorated house" competition.

GMTV need to re think the title, maybe the "who can cover their house with the most hideous lights" competition [:D]

but they are raising money for charity so cant say anything bad about that.

keep raising the money [Y] just stop the awfull lights

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
check out these badboys, there on the same road and apparently have a competition each year., I had to drive a long way home to find them after someone mentioned them at work!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry about the quality camera phone pics not too good in the dark even with 3.2mp

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
mark i know where there's plenty in Liverpool, i just ain't driving the R round there (Norris green)

I must admit we have have some lights on our house and a laylandy in the front, but none flash and they are all white, if it wasnt for the kids and the wife nagging me I wouldn't bother ... but she who rules and I suppose I cant be baahh humbug to everything

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here are some pictures of a local councillors house in Coalburn, near Lesmahagow (thats Scotland for those who don't know) from last year. He puts on a similar display on every year - the display won some GMTV award for the best decorated house in the UK for a few years running I'm told. In the past he has proposed to Scottish Power that if they would pay his electricity bill he would put the same amount to charity. His street is always mobbed with people coming from miles around to see the display, you can walk through his garden where he has christmas music playing - it is a bit surreal though when you are walking through his garden pas his living room window only to see the family sitting having their dinner watching TV! He also converts his garage into a grotto where visiting kids can go in and visit Santa (not the real one as he is far too busy this time of year!).

I think it is quite good to see someone doing such things in what is such a serious and stressful world these days! (he reminises of simplier times...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 22 Posts