Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well time really flies and although my car's a 54 plate and is lovingly washed and cared for, there comes a time when all car bodies must be lavished with wax.

So, spotting a 1/2 hour 'window' in the weather before the rain, I decided to use my new Swissol kit - bought via the fundraising group buy from our friend John Wintle at the back end of 2004.

It's been sitting looking at me for some time, begging me to give it some airtime.

So, I did the honourable thing and got the car washed and dry.....then on with the first step.

Working on half the roof at a time, I used the cleaning oil and followed the words of wisdom to the letter.

The paint did indeed 'squeak'!

Next, i applied a very small amount of my Onyx polish to the pad, and buffed it into the paintwork which was just achingly receptive to the slick stuff.

I would have been surprised at how easy the wax went on, if i hadn't already been forewarned.....and the micro-fibre cloth took the excess off with similar ease.

A further quick buff on the 'dry' side of the cloth.......then a couple of steps back to admire the lustre......WOW!!!

This stuff is seriously, seriously good.........

If you're thinking of putting ?15 wax on a ?20k car, forgettit!

Work the numbers and buy a wax that the car deserves.

?75 for this kit may sound like a chunk of your wedge but the wax should last for as much as 5-years due to how little you need.

In a word - AWESOME!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree with you chaps! I did a quick clean over the christmas holidays, and a quick wax for some protection (I will do it properly once the weather gives me a decent day) but even without the proper prep the results are superb. My Mrs didn't recognise the car! [:D]

Mark

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 17/01/2005 22:02:14

there comes a time when all ... bodies must be lavished with wax.

It's been sitting looking at me for some time, begging me to give it some airtime.

achingly receptive to the slick stuff.

[:O] Must be something in the water!

I would have been surprised at how easy the wax went on, if i hadn't already been forewarned.....

Tart [:X]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
So where's the pics [:D]

I totaly agree, you only get what you pay for with cleaning products & as far as Im concerened, nothing is too much for my baby [^]

Last product I bought was some Pinnicle wax from the states, cost me almost 50quid, but blimey does she shine when its been applied.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 18/01/2005 15:15:37

Quote: posted by Foxy on 17/01/2005 22:02:14

there comes a time when all ... bodies must be lavished with wax.

achingly receptive to the slick stuff.

[:O] Must be something in the water!

I would have been surprised at how easy the wax went on, if i hadn't already been forewarned.....

Tart [:X]

All out of context!!! You're twisting my words, Cat!!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 18/01/2005 16:35:02

All out of context!!! You're twisting my words, Cat!!

Sounds like a bit of the old sub-conscious talking to me Foxy [;)]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Shaq Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 15:37:22

Quote: posted by squky clean on 17/01/2005 22:25:40

PTFE.PTFE.PTFE *Shakes head in discussed*

SO what would Mr Squky recommmend?

Id recommend that PTFE is aimed at the anal enthusiast who loves to believe the marketing hype.

The "hype" part is covered by DuPont in their tech bulletin issued in the 80's which provides the only way that the PTFE resin can be bonded to a surface, and to do so would require heating the car and maintaining that heat of 640F for around 45 minutes.

That would not be good for the car, now would it?

Any of the PTFE resin in the product is there for one reason and one reason only, MARKETING.(Sorry Mr whitle) although this has all been stated before if you do a search....That was the only reason for my comment to gary m.

Each person has there own favourite cleaning product, be it wax,polish,glaze etc etc, as does each person have there own way of detailing a car (the correct way or not),so im not going to go into what i'd recommend.

If Cadburys said that there chocalate would'nt cause tooth decay, but will cost twice as much as there regular chocolate, would you buy it???????

·
Registered
154 Posts
With all due respect, why would the PTFE need to be bonded to the car? The wax you are applying is not actually bonded, it is only help there because the relativly rough surface of the paint (at a microscopic level) traps it. All a wax actually does is fill the lumps and bumps and thus increase the reflective index of the material (ie the shineyness!).

From my experience with PTFE it is damned slippery stuff. By including it in the Wax, surely you are going to increase the slipperyness of the final surface? Nothing is actually bonded or even permanently attached to the paint cos you can was the wax off!

Does give me images of teflon coated panels though![:)]

NB, this is not a flame, I just want to apply a bit of science to the argument! If I am wrong, then so be it!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a quick point:

Discussed = past tense of "discuss"

Disgust is the word I think you wanted! LOL!!!

Right, back to the wax - I never mentioned PTFE - lord only knows if the Onyx has it in any quantity.........but it does have Carnuba Wax of some proportion which I think you can say is "the daddy" of wax ingredients.

I'm not saying this stuff is better than another wax of equivalent value or other, but in my 20 years of buffing paint as a weekend hobby - it's clearly the easiest stuff to use and the results are stunning.

If it gives a decent longevity, it will certainly have all the best points one could want of a paint protection wax.

·
Registered
424 Posts
TDI_Boy Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 16:56:12 With all due respect, why would the PTFE need to be bonded to the car? The wax you are applying is not actually bonded, it is only help there because the relativly rough surface of the paint (at a microscopic level) traps it. All a wax actually does is fill the lumps and bumps and thus increase the reflective index of the material (ie the shineyness!).

Exactly....It has no purpose,as it is not bonded onto the car......So its "HYPE"..............For ptfe to work/protect it has to be bonded....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 18/01/2005 17:00:13

but it does have Carnuba Wax of some proportion which I think you can say is "the daddy" of wax ingredients.

Not wanting to knock you Dr Foxy, the Jedi master of MK4's, but the only good way of having carnuba in a wax is for it to be in a solid form, such as P21S/Pinnicle have it. [:)]

Liquid waxes with carnuba tend to have only a very small amount of it in. [:)]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by Jace on 18/01/2005 20:27:10

Quote: posted by Foxy on 18/01/2005 17:00:13

but it does have Carnuba Wax of some proportion which I think you can say is "the daddy" of wax ingredients.

Not wanting to knock you Dr Foxy, the Jedi master of MK4's, but the only good way of having carnuba in a wax is for it to be in a solid form, such as P21S/Pinnicle have it. [:)]

Liquid waxes with carnuba tend to have only a very small amount of it in. [:)]

S'ok fella - I aint talking from experience - more of a knowledge by study, and as far as I am aware ( darts eyes around frantically looking for John Wintle to back me up here ) Swissol Onyx has a chunk (not physical chunk - just an "amount") of solid carnuba in the paste (it's not a liquid!).

At ?70+ for the kit, I was expecting good results and my expextations have been darn well exceeded so far.

This stuff is a WAX, not a polish.

Just to confirm, this is not me re-stating myself to try and talk anyone down; i'm just affirming my understanding of why / how the product is so good.

Finally, the chat about PTFE is probably true if you want to fry eggs on your car, but I imagine it's an additive which enhances the performance of the wax/polish product....bullshyte? who knows?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.