Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying to tidy up the paint on my dad's lexus GS300 (read: fat cat barge), what an absolute mess its in. Here's half the bonnet done though after alot of work with a 4' cutting0 pad and Clearkote compound moose then followed with Menzerna IP on a 4' polishing pad

Posted Image

Can you notice a difference [:p]

Had to come inside after i'd finished the whole bonnet as i've got a thumping sore head [:(]

·
Registered
752 Posts
Looks great, will looks miles better now. Bet your dad will be pleased...[:)]

'know what you mean about the headache, spent the afternoon doing my interior and had to go sit in for a while.. [:S]

·
Registered
365 Posts
excellent result Bruce, and did yer Dad pay to get the rest done!!, good way to blackmail, polish half the car pay up or it stays like that [:p] is that a big scratch right down the middle??

Take your best cleaning stuff with you on 28th May[:p]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehe, anything you'd like me to bring for you to try Kirade? The 'scratch' is where i masked off half the bonnet to show the difference [:p]

Here is a few more pics of progress from today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Running out of quick detailer fast, need it to keep the clearkote compound etc working as the panels are hot with the sun [:(]

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hehe, anything you'd like me to bring for you to try Kirade?
looking fantastic, I just want to see what stuff you use to get that effect, I am useing megs 3 part system but results are not what I want, and I need your advice.

I know what you mean about the sun, I can't polish when its as hot as today, never mind better things to do (or my wife says we have[:'(])

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thats an incredible difference!

Re: the sun, i got up early today to avoid the hot sun and was out at 8:30 washing, SSR2'ing and the moosewaxing mine.

Then it rained.

Arseing country.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been at it since 8am [:p]

Tabs, i got it from Serious Performance, amazing stuff considering it doesn't even feel harsh to the touch. I know it hasn't just filled them in either as I had to go over most of it with SSR1 or Menz FPII to get rid of marring.

Hehe, anything you'd like me to bring for you to try Kirade?
looking fantastic, I just want to see what stuff you use to get that effect, I am useing megs 3 part system but results are not what I want, and I need your advice.

I know what you mean about the sun, I can't polish when its as hot as today, never mind better things to do (or my wife says we have[:'(])
Will I stop past your pad before going to the RR and we could try out a panel with some of my stuff? That'd suit me quite well as i don't know my way about Ellon or where japerformance is!! I'll have my favourite products to hand for then [:D]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Excuse thinko here but what exactly did you use to get that finish, I spend 3+ hours with megs 3 step and get no where near that result.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Top stuff.  Well done mate!  As above though, what exactly are you using and how expensive is it?  I could do with some of it on my Golf! 

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weesummy & Scott,

Apart from alot of labour (around 1.5-2hrs per panel), I used:

Porter cable Polisher with 4' lake country orange cutting and white polishing pads.

Clearkote Compound Moose(compound/polish),
Poorboys SSR1(polish/mild swirl remover),
Menzerna IP and FPII(swirl remover and polish),
Poorboys EX-P (sealant),
Meguiars #16 wax.

The SSR1 and Menz products were only really used to clean up the paint after Compound Moose left some marring.

The results just aren't possible by hand.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Will I stop past your pad before going to the RR and we could try out a panel with some of my stuff? That'd suit me quite well as i don't know my way about Ellon or where japerformance is!! I'll have my favourite products to hand for then [:D]
Thats a deal, my roof, bonnet, nearside and offside wings, doors and tailgate all need some care[:p]

Are you in the Toon on 27th let me know, and I will meet you at a conveniant spot near Ellon for a detailing session before a thrash on the RR[Y]

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LMAO, I just realised thats pretty much every panel!!!

I live in buckie so either way i'd need to travel through, doubt my girlfriend would take kindly to me coming up to detail on a sat then go to the RR on a sunday hehe.

The only thing is its swirl removal it takes ages, especially on the bonnet and roof.

Hows about we try some stuff on the car that day and then we could arrange a day in the few weeks after to sort out the whole car if it comes up nice?

·
Registered
365 Posts
LMAO, I just realised thats pretty much every panel!!!

I live in buckie so either way i'd need to travel through, doubt my girlfriend would take kindly to me coming up to detail on a sat then go to the RR on a sunday hehe.

The only thing is its swirl removal it takes ages, especially on the bonnet and roof.

Hows about we try some stuff on the car that day and then we could arrange a day in the few weeks after to sort out the whole car if it comes up nice?
Only jokin mate, we could try the bonnet as that will give an instant hit, as long as its the whole lot not half[:p]
In the meantime get back on the Lexus............

1 - 20 of 41 Posts