Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking now in the sunlight (Diamond Black) and 4 month old I can see swirls all over when the sun catches it--and to think very very careful washing with mitt,waffle weave towels etc etc and still these bl---- lines and swirls.

My wife tells me " you can not stop it" and thats it.

or is it the paint these days being water based?

Thinking of having a PC polish in next few weeks in order to remove them.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
you can stop them dude. else we'd all have them....

what we need to do to get to the bottom of this is know EXACTLY what you are doing to your car, and what products you are using......

i doubt its a soemthing VERY wrong, but fear not, they can be gotten rid of!

the pc will definitly do it, but it wont stop them returning, which is what we need to try and do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok Essex thanks my process is

Hose down fully

Shampoo( sonax gloss/wash and wax,Pinnacle and p21s and IZ perls all have being used) with Lambswool Mitt and I have to be honest I only use 1 bucket,I tried once with 2 bucket but was a pain in the a!! and took too long.

Full rinse off

Dry with blade followed by waffle weave towel(Pakshak one)

Then wax or polish with pads and buff with MF-all very gentle or QD with Pinnacle Mist -MF used again and all quality MFs.

P21s and souveran used and Clearkote VM/Megs Deep crystal polish used once also.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i had this problem, so washed it waxed it using auto gleem deep shine polish - the name is along those lines, and they were gone, now to kep them away i use auto gllem shampoo( going in a linear motion with the sponge) and dry using the auto gleem chamix leather(going in a linear motion )all this has seemed to prevent the swirls reurning
hope it works for you mate.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Thats the problem, you need a P21S/AG leather [;)]

Just kidding.[:D]

How do you apply/remove your materials ?? Is it in a circular motion ?? if so this is 99% the cause, IMO.

You will never be able to avoid getting micro swirls, but you can help disguise them by using a linear motion when applying/removing.

But to get the slate clean, a PC session would be your best place to start......

2p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vwtam sounds good but you use a sponge of all horrors when everyone says a sponge is a no no!

TBH I always always used a sponge in all my years and in the last 5 years had 4 black cars and never any swirls---I start to use a wash mitt and look what happens says my wife -who also wash the cars too and always did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jace never circular motions--the swirls are linear and like I mentioned I never had on last 2 cars.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
ok Essex thanks my process is

Hose down fully

Shampoo( sonax gloss/wash and wax,Pinnacle and p21s and IZ perls all have being used) with Lambswool Mitt and I have to be honest I only use 1 bucket,I tried once with 2 bucket but was a pain in the a!! and took too long.

Full rinse off

Then wax or polish with pads and buff with MF-all very gentle or QD with Pinnacle Mist -MF used again and all quality MFs.

P21s and souveran used and Clearkote VM/Megs Deep crystal polish used once also.
all decent products!!!

perhaps the mitt is dirty?

using circular motions? (tut tut) or linear ones?

cos its surprising what a difference linear and circualr motions can have.

but the products are spot on.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Just looking now in the sunlight (Diamond Black) and 4 month old I can see swirls all over when the sun catches it--and to think very very careful washing with mitt,waffle weave towels etc etc and still these bl---- lines and swirls.

My wife tells me " you can not stop it" and thats it.

or is it the paint these days being water based?

Thinking of having a PC polish in next few weeks in order to remove them.
A good article and Advice please read: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lived in Derby for last 15 years and used to be a frequent visitor to "La Ville" when had 5 customers there-sadly only 1 left there now so know the place well

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
cool,

I might be able to help you out with those swirls if your not in a mega rush to get rid of them, & I need a bit of PC practice

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
 sounds ok ,thanks Jace yes I understand that you need to be familar in PC operation  have you another vehicle to practice on or will be straight onto yours?

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Have any of you detailing experts ever used compounds on the car?? As i
seen it on t.v as the guy applied the paste like substance on to the
car with shed loads of water and was using a pc and it came out mint
and swirl free, and when the water was semi-drying he dipped the sponge
of the pc in to a bucket of water to keep the compound wet, so is this
a good way to get rid of the swirls or is it a cow boy job??

Sat

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
sounds ok ,thanks Jace yes I understand that you need to be familar in PC operation have you another vehicle to practice on or will be straight onto yours?
I think he means the practice will be on your car [:O][;)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
sounds ok ,thanks Jace yes I understand that you need to be familar in PC operation have you another vehicle to practice on or will be straight onto yours?
I was hoping you'd be my Guinea Pig [:S]

Just joking, the Guinea is mine this coming weekend, weather permitting. [:O]

I have used a power polisher before, but I think these PC's are a bit different, besides, I dont think it can be that hard, I've read more posts & websites about methods etc than I care to count,but I still think the best route is to take my time, & not to rush.

Best get the yellow pages out for a body shop, just incase [:D]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will try some AG deep Polish at this stage it reads good lets see,then can have PC job later.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

looks like it is the MFs and also the wax foam applicator Pads,done the cd test and I am totally shocked

1/Cobra expensive towels =badly scratched

2/Foam application pads= badly scratched

3/Mf buffer cloths = badly scratched and

4/Pakshak WF towels -clean and perfect with no scratch marks at all.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
update

looks like it is the MFs and also the wax foam applicator Pads,done the cd test and I am totally shocked

1/Cobra expensive towels =badly scratched

2/Foam application pads= badly scratched

3/Mf buffer cloths = badly scratched and

4/Pakshak WF towels -clean and perfect with no scratch marks at all.
whos applicator pads are they?

cos i use megs ones with no issues.......

thats amazing info though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts