Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to get rid of the fine cob web swirl marks on my paintwork.They have been there since i got the car.

Should i give it a go with Meguiars ScratchX by hand, or would i be wasting my time? Would i be better off paying for a bodyshop to do it?

I would be happy to see a 'great improvment' if i went for the scratchX by hand, but if i got the body shop to do it i wouldn't want to see a single scratch! Lol

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump - I know its probably been posted a million times, but..anyone? Anyone recommend scratchX? What sort of results can i expect with a good amount of time and effort put in?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
yes it will work mate.the more you do it the better it will be.not to much or ull have no paint left lol..

but ull be very **** after ;) iv done it before on mine.dont forget a good coat of wax to finish it and seal it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers mate, im gonna give this a go then! I do like a challenge. Are you supposed to apply it more than once? Like 2 or 3times? suppose it depends on how bad the scratches are?\

Thanks for your help mate

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use Scratch X for all the car, just for the isolated deeper scratches and swirls. I would recomend the Meg 3 Stage cleaning set to attack your swirls by hand.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
just try it mate it cant go wrong.iv got the 3 stage megs and it really is a top set. iv also got a 3M fine cutting paste or some other stuff from 3M called FINESSE IT! good stuff but wouldnt use it all the time...have a read in the detailing forum and you will learn wats good and bad and how to do it :)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hi, why is that? ScratchX is meant to be 'more gentle' than other products isn't it?
It is good stuff, but not really designed to be used all over the car, as it will just leave more finer scratches, hence why the 3 stage set is good, as you start with a harsher polish, followed by a light polish, finished by a wax.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've  been trying for a year to get rid of mine, spent a fortune on stuff and got nowhere. only way I succeeded was with a porter cable. If you do go to a bodyshop, choose wisely, cos the one I was going to get mine done at, did a bit of the bonnet, and it looked no different..................

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help. So, i'd be much better off using a 3 step kit rather than scratchX then wax? (bit of a bummer, as ive already ordered scratchX [^o)] ) I really didnt think that scratchX would leave finer scratches........

Scratch X

Eliminate fine scratches and swirl marks with ease. This advanced formulation removes scratches and swirl marks while enhancing the paint colour. This product should not be confused with the many aggressive ?cutting compounds? available on the UK market. More gentle than other formulations, it won?t leave behind more scratches than it takes out, making it ideal for quick touch-ups or reviving a car?s entire paintwork, even on today?s softer clearcoat finishes.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thanks for your help. So, i'd be much better off using a 3 step kit rather than scratchX then wax? (bit of a bummer, as ive already ordered scratchX [^o)] ) I really didnt think that scratchX would leave finer scratches........

Scratch X

Eliminate fine scratches and swirl marks with ease. This advanced formulation removes scratches and swirl marks while enhancing the paint colour. This product should not be confused with the many aggressive ?cutting compounds? available on the UK market. More gentle than other formulations, it won?t leave behind more scratches than it takes out, making it ideal for quick touch-ups or reviving a car?s entire paintwork, even on today?s softer clearcoat finishes.
I'm just going from expirence, I Scratch-X'd my V5 and a friend Corrado followed by two coats of NTX Tech wax, applied by PC, but the swirls still remained;

Posted Image

Since then I have used the 3 stage set from Meg and had much better results.

Don't get me wrong, the car will look good from a distance, but close up the swirls will still remain;

Posted Image

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I planned to use megs nxt tech wax after scratchX. I think im going to give it a go anyway, seen scratchX is on the way! But i wont be to optimistic! Then i'l probably give it a go with megs 3step at a later date. Would you say the scratchX even made a significant difference?

Thanks for the help, pics are great. Really like your car by the way [Y]

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

Scratch X

I'm just going from expirence, I Scratch-X'd my V5 and a friend Corrado followed by two coats of NTX Tech wax, applied by PC, but the swirls still remained;

Posted Image

Since then I have used the 3 stage set from Meg and had much better results.

Don't get me wrong, the car will look good from a distance, but close up the swirls will still remain;

Posted Image
WOW SHINY i love that colour wish i had got it now...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but I've used Scratch-X on my Golf and haven't been too impressed with the results. Maybe I expected too much, but it didn't seem to remove any swirl marks. I did the entire car and applied a coat of Megs wax afterwards, and while it looked amazing from 5+ feet away, when you get close up or in bright sunlight the swirls are still there! [:(]

If the weather's nice next weekend I was going to try again, maybe 2 coats of Scratch-X then a wax and if that's not any better I might go either clay-bar route or get the 3-stage Megs kit.

Only problem is since getting the car a couple of months back I've spent ?100+ on cleaning stuff already and the missus is going mad...!! [:D]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gave the scratch-X a go yesterday, and wasnt too impressed. I did my bonnet, 2-3 applications and didnt see much improvement. I then waxed with megs nxt tech, looks good, but no where near good enough! I would say there is a slight improvement in the swirl marks, but thats about it!

Might give the 3 step a go next, but im also spending a lot on cleaning stuff recently! [H]

Starting to think maybe pc is the only way - but thats not gonna make me buy one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts