Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the old style dials, you know, the ones without that fancy stuff in the middle at the centre!!! can i simply just plug new style ones in?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I want to change my clocks to the Bora sport ones but my speedo goes up to 140MPH wheras the Bora sport goes to 160. Can it stil be done?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting.........

After dissecting a bora instrument cluster at RSD on friday (with ShansAMG), we reckoned we could easily swap the dials and the instrument dial surrounds, maybe putting in those fancy needles from the TT too). This would prove an easier option (???) than swapping the whole cluster and updating the computers etc as i didn't know the history of the car i got it form at the breakers.

Whilst the needles easily pull off the bora sport console showing the nice dials in two parts (hidden by the black surround), unfortunately the dials in my 4 motion are lit up right through the center bit and won't pull off without breaking contacts (thus ruining the cluster and proving expensive). Shame really as the idea was a good one. The dials on mine are in one piece - which wasn't going to prove a problem. The dials in the bora sport use a different typeface to my exsisiting one too - i prefer my original to be honest. looking at it i'm sure the needles will pull off as they are only sat on a center spindle.

I'm pretty sure that after looking at it if anyone has the same needles as the bora sport version i've taken to bits it can be done easily. That way you'd have some nice dials to go with the chrome tacho ring surrounds. The only other thing to check is that the hazard and main beam light holes in the dials match the cut outs within the black trim that sits over your exsisting dials.

Just a shame my V6 cluster is slightly different (both clusters were from a 2001 car incidently), one made by VDO and the other by motormeter.

Unfortunately i've looked thoroughly at the dials for a part or item number and there are none to be found.

If i had successfully got them then i was considering a group buy for you lot if there was interest.

Oh and you can't get the TT needles separately either - they come as part of the TT cluster.

Liquorice, as you're only down the road, give me a shout if you want to see if your needles are the same as the ones with the bora dials.

I'm not taking any responsibilty for your car registering of the scale acceleration either should you put it together wrong!!!![^]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh i forgot, i wouldn't even contemplate screwing around with the clusters/dials if your cars still in warranty.

Luckily mines not so if i make a mess i've only got myself to blame for an expensive 'put right'.[:D]

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Cage recently put a Bora Sport cluster in his 99 Golf 1.8T. I reset the mileage for him with vagcom cos the dealer forgot to do it! There are imobiliser issues but I can't remember the specifics, hopefully he'll pick up this thread soon. I think it's possible to do the whole swap with vagcom but I'm a newbie with it so wasn't confident enough.

He also got an airbag warning and an oil pressure warning due I think to the sender being different in later models. But afaik all is working ok.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes guys, as PJ said, I have recently fitted the Bora Sports dials in my car. There is a immobiliser issue as if you have the Immo-1 ,2 or 3 fitted. My cars had the Immo-1 clusters and no CAN gateway. The Bora Sports cluster was Immo-2 version with CAN gateway. The is no real problem fitting this dials and getting the recode them as long as you can get your Secret Key Code (SKC) from your local stealer. By the time a friend got my SKC, I had paid VW £45 to fit and program them. The only problem I had is that my airbag stays on, which I will probably get the dealer to sort out and when starting the car the Oil Sensor Warning light comes for a couple seconds (this is due to the oil sensor being fitted to the oil sump on later models).

Follow this link for full fitting instructions: (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo2-cluster-swapping.html)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Joey, see this ready-reckoner to find out what your current clocks have inside them (viz-a-viz the immobiliser), and what new ones will work with yours.

To decipher the instrument binnacle part number (on the rear sticker), as an example:

1J5 920 846 C.

1JX.....................9XX..................X...................X...................X..................X

1J0=Standart.......919=No.CAN.......8=KmH............0=NoDisplay.....5=IMMO2.......None=1,4ltr None=Originalteil

1J5=Chromerings...920=Yes.CAN.....9=mph............2=MFA.............6=IMMO3.......A=Petrol X=Tauschteil

.........................................................................4=FIS................................. B=?........V=Neuteil

...................................................................................................................C= Diesel

It's translated (in part) but i think you get the gist!

MFA = Multi-Function Display (half-height)

FIS = Full instrument Display (full-height)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Cage, the reason you're getting the airbag light staying on because IMMO-2 car's use CAN for talking to the airbag controller, whilst early car's IMMO-1 use K line feed.

I think you can get round the airbag light by recoding the CAN gateway controller (thats inside the cluster), if you have access to VAG-COM just recode this, to no available equipment

aRd

aRd

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Joey - you can flick miles to kilometres on the digital displays any time.

For the dials you just replace the overlay - the pointer matches the same speed.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you can sort the immobiliser recode and compatibility, I think you're high and dry, as they say.

The navi-to-cluster connection needs an extra loom to pass the radio/nav info I think.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Joey - with the part number on your current dials, you can check the ready-reckoner above to see which one you have.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
will give that a blast tomorrow i think, then i assume it will just be a case of checking the part number of one with FIS and if immobiliser matches up, its plug and play?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts